• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Windows QT blocks compatible with Linux QT?

InvalidDecimal

Hey,

Basically I'm moving all my crypto to a machine dedicated to storage. It's quite an old laptop though, so it's pretty slow but does the job for an offline storage device, disk burner, no wifi you know. I just plug an ethernet cable briefly when I need a connection I feel comfortable keeping my crypto here, and I can spawn CD and USB back-ups from it, it's nice.

Anyway, basically due to the slow write-speed (not my connection, yeah I increased max connections from 8 but when it got too high it hung anyway so...) it was slow updating the blockchain so I took my "blocks" folder from %appdata%/Roaming and put it in my .dash folder my Linux QT reads from, and reopened the client. I've been on the start-up screen stuck on "Rescanning...100%" for a good 15 minutes.

I kind of did this without thinking, when I looked in Windows blocks/index I noticed lots of .ldb files which I presume Linux won't know what to do with?

I guess what I'm really asking for is a reasonably updated blockchain mirror compatible with Linux.

I might be sounding like a complete idiot here? I dunno. Gonna have a look for one anyway, if I find one I'll post it here in case it helps anyone else.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Noticed my masternode (Linux VPS) blocks/index also contains .ldb, hmm. So I can't see any reason why the blocks from the Windows wallet I copied over shouldn't work? Maybe I should stop being inpatient?

EDIT2: I'm inpatient...

Windows and Linux blocks folders are cross compatible.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as both wallets have the same version you can use the same data files.
Just double check that your (source-) wallet is closed before you start to copy the files.
Wondering what program would you recommend for opening a .dat file for viewing blockchain info ?

Back