• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Why wouldn't you use Dash?

David

I was just thinking to myself "Why wouldn't anyone want to use Dash?" Pretty much everything I can think of that people might want in a digital currency, we already have (Notably, all the advantages are just as applicable to your average Joe as they are to crypto enthusiasts):
  1. Dash is private, unlike traditional banking/credit cards/Paypal.
  2. Dash is trustless, unlike tradiational banking/credit cards/Paypal.
  3. Dash is instant, unlike traditional banking/credit cards/Paypal
  4. Dash is a very inexpensive way to transmit money, unlike traditional banking/credit cards/Paypal

But if we want Dash to achieve mass adoption, we have to know why people aren't already using it. That way we can focus our efforts on the most effective areas for "evangelism" (and/or for future development). I want to pose two questions, then: if you were a crypto enthusiast, what reasons might you have for not using Dash? If you were a member of the general public who knew nothing about crypto, what reasons might you have for not using Dash?

I'm going to get the lists started; please add to each or both of them with anything I missed! (P.S. I'm putting in all the arguments I can think of, even fallacious ones. We have to fight perception just as much as reality.)

I am a crypto enthusiast and I wouldn't use Dash because:
  1. Instamine led to uneven/unfair distribution
  2. It's just an altcoin; nobody will ever be able to counter Bitcoin's head start (network effect)
  3. Low marketcap makes it too easy for the price to be moved or manipulated
  4. Don't believe it really is capable of all it says
  5. Haven't heard of it; there are too many altcoins out there competing for attention
  6. It's not Bitcoin, and anything that isn't Bitcoin needs to just give up and die (Bitcoin fanboys)
  7. ?

I am a member of the general public, and I wouldn't use Dash because:
  1. Haven't heard of it
  2. Too complicated; don't understand it
  3. Not enough places to use it
  4. Wild price fluctuations
  5. It's too hard to buy (KYC/AML/chargeback concerns make it challenging to convert fiat to crypto)
  6. Privacy isn't that important to me
  7. It could be used to do "bad stuff"
  8. Not easy to use; unintuitive; too complicated; not user friendly
  9. ?

Please add items as you think of them! Let's get a good list going and then figure out how to counter these problems/perceptions.

Guides, showing how easy it is to use DASH and the risks of using bitcoin or how much safer it is than bitcoin.

I looked around the deepweb a bit and also asked the two dark markets that accept dash and its seems 99% of transactions are still in bitcoin. People still see DASH as just another altcoin.

One of the criticisms of Bitcoin early on was that 'Bitcoin maybe the MySpace of crypto,' and maybe something better will overtake it (like Facebook overtook MySpace.). I hate to compare Dash to fb, but you get the point... Dash is the superior entity. So let's examine how fb overtook MySpace. It was the network effect and word of mouth. (Just like google search destroyed pretty much all the other search engines, remember alta vista and ask Jeeves?)

How do we establish the same 'buzz' for Dash?

This is the question in my mind.

However... Bitcoin is not yet deeply ingrained in public consciousness or widely used (like MySpace or alt search engines) anyway.

Therefore perhaps we need to be patient. Maybe should another financial black swan type event like the Cypress bail-in occurr then ppl will race to Bitcoin and then when Bitcoin finally has some greater traction and widespread adoption... At that point we propagate the message Dash is better .... Dash is better!

Old woman Real reasons:

I haven't found anything for sale that I would want to buy with any crypto, for a decent price.... yet. And since I don't own any bitcoin, overstock isn't working for me, except with other payments, LOL.

I'm afraid to lose my coins because I don't have a smart phone, and I haven't even learned how to do half the stuff needed for spending my coins yet. It's a steep learning curve.

I haven't heard of DASH yet.

I can't wrap my head around how some computer program can create "money" and how that "money" could possibly have value?

Why should I bother? What's in it for me? Nothing is cheaper when using crypto and choices are limited.

I still think we're a long way off from mass adoption. At the same time, we also need to create a little economy to get the system functioning and get it vetted (that it works and works easily for users and merchants) Then we have to build the user base with people who want their privacy and are a little more rebellious than the general population. Eventually, I do think we can get everyone using it one way or another because we'll find a market that fits crypto so well, and slowly, as the government prints dollars to oblivion, people will naturally switch to crypto, because they'll slowly understand what it is about, at least as much as they're capable of.

But the "instamine"? don't make me laugh! It has nothing to do with anything. It's the private secure services that this coin provides that give it value. That and the fact that the inflation of the coin will undoubtedly under-pace the demand, sustaining the value of the coin.

We have an excellent foundation, but the whole infrastructure is in it's infancy.... maybe toddler stage.

No merchants for the goods I want
No mobile wallet for iPhone

I think we need some smoke and mirrors. Sell DASH as a means of payment. Leave the block chain technology behind the scene.

Let me say as a "representative of general public": "Why and where I would like you use Dash":

1. For some percent of my long-term savings - because I think it is good protected, mobile and project in general is promising (but high risk=expectations).
2. To support some people-projects online - I don't want to be directly reverse-linkable to me (pay for hosting, services, donations, ...).
3. During travelling - because I anyway have to change rubles to local currencies, but having a cash in pocket isn't safe, and using bank cards isn't a good option for some countries. So if "tourist-oriented services could begin to accept DASH - IMHO it is the best offline-option for the very beginning". (I also want to keep un-traceble during traveling, business trip, ...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good points Alex. Services in the travel and tourism industry are the perfect demographics to focus on.

Good points Alex. Services in the travel and tourism industry are the perfect demographics to focus on.

We can also think about refugees. Wars are breaking out here and there - and it seems every month situation in the world is getting worse...

Millions of people are forced to leave their homes and try to start a new life in other countries. How are they caring about their savings? Banks in such countries gone into bankruptcy, significant sums in cash and gold to smuggle across borders - is difficult. DASH may become the universal form of savings for them - is easy to navigate through the border controls and thus DASH can not be robbed by third parties.

This is a very powerful argument to keep savings in DASH in volatile regions - and number of such regions becomes more every month - it seems the world persistently slipping into a third world war. Maybe it is already going, but so far mainly in the financial and information fields ... :(

Oh boy, Alex, my day has just started and you're making me depressed! What a way to sell DASH, to the dispossessed refugees, ugh!

Are you being run out of your country by mobs of armed cannibals? Make sure you take your phone and your DASH with it! Yikes!

God help us all!

Let us control the money, then we can stop the wars.

I remember as a kid and young adult when people told me that the wars were caused by big money corporations, I simply didn't understand how that could be?? The alternate explanation, to stop communism and give people freedom, etc... seemed more plausible. Now I know better. A nice tangled web. Mostly oil and gas, but also shady aliances. Worst thing that probably ever happened to the middle east was the discovery of oil.......... no colonialism, then the discovery of oil.

Are you being run out of your country by mobs of armed cannibals? Make sure you take your phone and your DASH with it! Yikes!

Or a light version for nearest future:

"Are you sitting in USA with 20 credit cards and don't know why you need to have a DASH? Welcome to middle east and try save your ass and savings at least for a year without DASH!" :)

The reason why I checked the darknet is that there is no place that people are interacting/experiencing DASH. It is a key factor, the main catalyst I think for adoption/acceptance and at the moment we only have some light gambling/precious metals use. PayPal had eBay, Bitcoin had Silkroad and Dash has ...?

The reason why I checked the darknet is that there is no place that people are interacting/experiencing DASH. It is a key factor, the main catalyst I think for adoption/acceptance and at the moment we only have some light gambling/precious metals use. PayPal had eBay, Bitcoin had Silkroad and Dash has ...?

IMO there is only one way Dark/Dash will get adopted and that is by replacing bitcoin as the currency on the big dark markets.

I am a vendor with 50+ sales. My experience from this is that 100% are men, 100% pay with BTC. I have DASH as an option but no one bothers paying with it.

Then maybe we need a guide for vendors? Showing how they don't have to trust mixers, save money and don't have to worry about colored coins?

Then maybe we need a guide for vendors? Showing how they don't have to trust mixers, save money and don't have to worry about colored coins?

I thought about it but I do not want to stick DASH in their throat. Therefore two alternatives, (no LTC). I am in it for the sales no matter the payment means, although I prefer they payed with DASH. If it would be possible to lower the price when payed with DASH then the incentive of paying with DASH is born. People on drugs in search of drugs is not the most concerned group in society, it must be simple. For most people the crypto transactions are abstract and is not considered traceable.

For the record, although I'm opposed to "dirty" uses of Dash...

...one of these days, after enough of people start serving prison time because their payments were traced, people on the darkweb are going to start realizing that BTC is no anonymous and not appropriate to use in highly illegal situations.

Stef: Agreed about oil being the worst thing that ever happened to the Middle East. Props to those like Dubai that have used the oil money to diversify the economy. For the rest, I'm reminded of the quote...how does it go? Something like "My grandfather lived in a tent. I live in a palace. My grandsons will live in tents."

Oil doesn't last forever =)

Back