• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Why open-sourcing may be a really bad idea…

Is open-sourcing a good idea? (please read before voting)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, unfortunately I think dark markets are the real deal. Did any of you try to reach them ? The owners of OpenBazaar for example ? Do they really care about the closed-source thing ? Or is this just an excuse to stick to Bitcoins ?

You lost me at, "Yes, unfortunately I think dark markets are the real deal." Why is that unfortunate? if you have an issue with it, why are you holding "hundreds of darkcoins" and bitching about the system that exists. Create your own altcoin then.

In my estimation, provided DRK exercises an appropriate marketing strategy, any copycat coin will fall short... you seem to not appreciate the concept of first-mover strategy.

Wow, I think you are drawing way too many conclusions from one word. I said unfortunately because of the current state of markets from the deep web, which are if I'm not mistaken the main place to buy stolen credit cards numbers, to acquire human organs, to hire assassins... The term dark market currently sounds like that for the lambda internet user. However before you get too passionate about this, I'm not saying that's the only thing dark markets can provide, and I'm certainly not saying this won't evolve. But currently I think they're associated to these images, which isn't necessary a good thing for Darkcoin.

To make a comparison, Bitcoin is associated to a lot of legit businesses, but at this moment it is also the main currency on the deep web. And Bitcoin's image is really suffering from this among the general population, even with its truckload of legit businesses. So yes, Darkcoin can become the main currency in dark markets, maybe it has to go through this square and that's indeed the best strategy for it. I just think it will have a really hard time reconquering a good image in the eyes of the general population, and that's unfortunate. But don't worry, I'll deal with it :p

Also, about dark markets. I read somewhere that what's holding them is the missing multisig feature. I also notice that Darkcoin handles it already and thelonecrouton built a UI to facilitate its use. But that's not embedded in the wallet and I can't find any tutorial targeted to online businesses. Multisig is the base of what they call Bitcoin 1.5, so if Darkcoin already has it, maybe this should be one of the main topic of the PR campaign, right?

Also, about dark markets. I read somewhere that what's holding them is the missing multisig feature. I also notice that Darkcoin handles it already and thelonecrouton built a UI to facilitate its use. But that's not embedded in the wallet and I can't find any tutorial targeted to online businesses. Multisig is the base of what they call Bitcoin 1.5, so if Darkcoin already has it, maybe this should be one of the main topic of the PR campaign, right?

Multisignature addresses come from the Bitcoin client itself. Any coin forked from it should already have it.

Multisignature addresses come from the Bitcoin client itself. Any coin forked from it should already have it.

Awesome. But still, it should be mentioned somewhere, on the official website for example. Because there is no UI to easily generate a multisig address in the QT client, and posts like this tend to show that it's not obvious. Or it seems merchants are looking for this feature.

Wow, I think you are drawing way too many conclusions from one word. I said unfortunately because of the current state of markets from the deep web, which are if I'm not mistaken the main place to buy stolen credit cards numbers, to acquire human organs, to hire assassins... The term dark market currently sounds like that for the lambda internet user. However before you get too passionate about this, I'm not saying that's the only thing dark markets can provide, and I'm certainly not saying this won't evolve. But currently I think they're associated to these images, which isn't necessary a good thing for Darkcoin.

To make a comparison, Bitcoin is associated to a lot of legit businesses, but at this moment it is also the main currency on the deep web. And Bitcoin's image is really suffering from this among the general population, even with its truckload of legit businesses. So yes, Darkcoin can become the main currency in dark markets, maybe it has to go through this square and that's indeed the best strategy for it. I just think it will have a really hard time reconquering a good image in the eyes of the general population, and that's unfortunate. But don't worry, I'll deal with it :p

Lawyers, politicians, big business, banks, etc. are all negatively thought of by just about everyone, hasn't been a problem for any of those groups... in fact, since DRK and dark markets allow people to escape the stranglehold that TPTB try to impose on everything they can, I think dark markets are going to undergo a huge reversal in the minds of the public, image-wise, before too much longer. Dark markets are a facilitator for the little guy, people will get this eventually.

It is true that dark markets might be an opportunity for darkcoin. However in order for darkcoin to offer anonymity it must be accepted by normal legit vendors as well. otherwise the coin will be portrayed as a coin that criminals use.
As a normal vendor/ user you dont want the scrutiny that that image brings.
But then again better some adoption than no adoption.

P.s.
when can I buy a pizza with my darkcoins ?

ive made multisig adressess before in darkcoin. It would be nice if there were a button for it but its not that hard to do.

Back