• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Why is the reward rate the way it is?

MrMime

Foundation Member
So I was reading more, and couldn't find out why the reward of (2222222/(((DIFFICULTY+2600)/9)^2)) is so. Any white papers that I might have missed that can help explain the reasoning behind this equation?
**EDIT Saw that it was Moore's law. Interesting choice...

*On a similar note, how about the gravity well difficulty adjustment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. I've always wondered what would happen, and if there were 'safeguards' in case many miners left a network with a long difficulty retarget. Would they implement a TTL where it automatically readjusts if it's taken 1.3x longer for example. This seems to fix the problem nicely. I guess this leaves me wondering why wouldn't all coins have a difficulty retarget of 1 block? Any pro's to having it take longer like Btc?

Darkcoin actually uses something called Dark gravity wave, so it is different from the KGW algorithm.

yes, i believe this changed just last week. previously it was using the gravity well, but the devs implemented the Dark gravity wave for a more robust algorithm.

Also, there was a way to "bounce" the difficulty in KGW by blasting it with hash power, then dropping off suddenly. DGW uses a pendulum/wave-like algorithm to oscillate the difficulty in a given range without the massive swings that can happen with KGW.

Back