• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Why does my masternode go inactive randomly?

ThisMustBeTrue

I went to dashninja and it says my port is closed and my masternode is inactive. When I look up my server on vultr it says it's running.

This is the second time it's happened and last time I messed with a bunch of stuff to get it to restart and ended up losing out on about a week in the rewards lineup.

I'm not super fluent with this stuff. Basically I just followed TAO's setup guide for dummies and was able to get it to work. What do I need to do to keep it from falling offline?

Copied and pasted from dashninja:
45.63.74.147:9999 Closed (19m35s) 0.12.1.5 70206 1,018.045 6d9h28m13s 7w3d23h9m7s 2d1h51m20s Inactive (0%)

Thanks for your help.

hmm first check iptables that it allows incomming 9999 port.
make sure ~/.dashcore/dash.conf has 'listen=1' and 'maxconnections=256' or ''maxconnections=64'.

use online port check tool like http://ping.eu/port-chk/
ip/host : ip of your mn
port : 9999

it should be "open"

I think we worked through it on the dash_support slack channel. I got some very good help there from lebubar. He helped me set up swap and get it running again. It would only go inactive once 2-3 weeks it seems. If you know of anything else I should check or be aware of or way to make it more secure, I'd be interested. Thanks.

Yes, memory problems I guess. I had to move my MN to different server and provider due to dashd crashing quite often and laggy performance. Memory problems kept crashing dashd and VPS overselling issues led to very slow and laggy performance.

If you're not using a dedicated MN hosting service, I'd suggest you pick a reputable VPS provider very carefully. LowEndTalk and LowEndBox both contain a wealth of information and feedback about services and providers. Do have a look there. I'd go with 2GB RAM minimum, if you have SWAP even better! OpenVZ containers usually get kernel updates automatically by the provider without restarting your VPS, so you might want to pick those.

Last but not least...Monitoring! Monitoring! After everything is setup don't forget to install and configure Monit! If you search for "Monit DigitalOcean" you'll find a good tutorial to get you started.

Now, about security I suggest you create SSH Keys and disable password authentication altogether. Just search for "create ssh keys disable password authentication". Needless to say that you need to have the firewall on at all times. One more thing you could do is disable any services you're not using like apache, bind9, etc. This should free some more RAM.

Hope this info will help you more than confuse you ;-)

Back