• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Why Dash will not be in the top 10?

Do you think that Dash should become a platform rather than just cash?

• Yes: Smart contracts

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Yes: Side Chains

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Yes: Just sub tokens

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No: Dash is just cash

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters

Crypter

Came across this ... https://www.investitin.com/dash-digital-cash-platform/
"The trend indicates that to be in the top 10, a crypto project needs to be a platform rather than a one trick pony."

Ok, I think calling Dash a one trick pony is a little bit too harsh, on the other hand, platforms really unleash the power of the free market and this is what makes their value go exponential.

Dash: Smart Contracts, Sub tokens or side chains seems the industry standard to achieve this. Why is Dash not considering any of this?

Given there are so many developers ( I believe Dash has the biggest development team ) what will this team do after evolution?

had been discuss 1 Mill times
and as community voted :
DigitalCash 1st and 100% solid
eventually smart contracts after

did u count how many none smart contact coins are in the top 10 ?
(stupid title - no offence )

If you have been paying any amount of attention to Dash you should know that Evolution is going to be a platform.

The only part of Evolution which seems like a platform is the creation of a marketplace (and details on this I could not find)
Are there any others?

Well the DAPI will allow anybody to build an app on top of Evolution. That's, of course, an easy way to integrate payments into whatever you are building. But it can also be used as a means of authenticating a user.
Now I also don't know all the details since core isn't yet talking about that but if you listen to some of the stuff @Chuck Williams is saying you can get a general idea.

Yes I already saw this in full.

The top 10 excluding (BTC, LTC, BCash and Ripple) allow developers to both finance and develop applications using their tools.

One may argue about the long-term viability of ICOs but the market clearly is telling us that this is something of value, at least the tools to do so are.

Yes I already saw this in full.

The top 10 excluding (BTC, LTC, BCash and Ripple) allow developers to both finance and develop applications using their tools.

One may argue about the long-term viability of ICOs but the market clearly is telling us that this is something of value, at least the tools to do so are.
This is all about a usable product for the masses, if you think it should be an ICO and smart contract platform please tell me the last smart contract you used?
Most people in this space won't use smart contracts ever! Most people in this space have done plenty of cash transactions!
To reach mass adoption you need to be useful, not speculative. DASH is working on being the most useful cryptocurrency, when the product is ready it will be a good time to add bells and whistles.
Top ten doesn't actually mean a lot in the long run, and in fact the further we move down we get more of the what's the next coin crowd buying us up.
If DASH had pre mined a billion coins and sold a few we would be number one due to the fake market cap of pre mine coins. DASH is growing organically so price and market cap reflection is real.

Let's assume Dash builds a smart contract or side chain system which could offer developers a possibility to finance and develop applications.

That would bring in special projects such as:
  • Peer to peer lending (Lendoit ETH Lending)
  • Mortgage Lending (VaultBank)
  • Fractioanlisation of Assets (La Token)
  • Betting (DAO betting)
  • Property investing (Propy)
  • Credit Analysis (Paypie)
  • Invoice financing
  • Forex exchange (Spectre)
  • and more ...
These projects, in turn, would enhance the use of Dash as Cash! The smart contract/side chain system itself would not be used directly by the masses.

It would be used by developers to create projects which have Dash as the underlying currency.

Some of these projects will be successful and they would bring in many more people into the Dash ecosystem.

Ahhh the Jack of all trades master of none technique. But what about all the vulnerabilities? In a space that is trying to be money don't you think projects should be less broad and more rigorously tested? The crypto space is seeing some serious hacks due to new technologies with very little testing.
Sound and usable cash is number one, no coin has done this well yet.

Your argument is that the functionality should be kept to a minimum in order to reduce the attack surface is a point

Of course, the cost of reducing functionality is growth and the risk of allowing other platforms have first mover advantage in the niches I mentioned above thus with time losing market share and eventually becoming irrelevant.

The market is telling us what it values, ignore it at your own peril!

Ahhh the Jack of all trades master of none technique. But what about all the vulnerabilities? In a space that is trying to be money don't you think projects should be less broad and more rigorously tested? The crypto space is seeing some serious hacks due to new technologies with very little testing.
Sound and usable cash is number one, no coin has done this well yet.
And performance, the more you try to put into transactions the bigger they become. Sidechains etc. are perceived as a solution to this but settlement means stored data and chances are that'll be data stored in a blockchain. The highest performing blockchain wins out in that scenario and every byte of data matters.

EDIT: "Smart contract" is a very vague term too, it covers a general idea and not any specific implementation and it's frequently assumed to mean data in a blockchain. Dash governance objects are a kind of smart contract and they're powerful, the budget proposals are just one example of how they can be used and that's all off-chain data, they're controlled by data on the blockchain but the bulky part is stored separately.

Last edited:
Let's get the money thing working well first. That's a pretty big use case right there.

And we're not excluding expanding the use cases. Evolution certainly allows and encourages people to develop stuff on top of Dash.

Your argument is that the functionality should be kept to a minimum in order to reduce the attack surface is a point

Of course, the cost of reducing functionality is growth and the risk of allowing other platforms have first mover advantage in the niches I mentioned above thus with time losing market share and eventually becoming irrelevant.

The market is telling us what it values, ignore it at your own peril!
You have a bubble growth mentality, this is about solid technology growing at a safe rate not a hype cash grab.
Do you not believe if DASH rushed out evolution, started a smart contract direction with untested releases and people lose all their money to a single zero day this would not be peril?
The goal is money so it should be solid as the number one.

In my opinion, for the moment Dash should keep its efforts in becoming the best digital currency out there. Corporations can definitely benefit from smart contracts but right now people need a safe, cheap, fast and liquid way to move money around. Although it would be great to see Dash acting like a third generation Blockchain kind of thing in the near future.

Let's assume Dash builds a smart contract or side chain system which could offer developers a possibility to finance and develop applications.

That would bring in special projects such as:
  • Peer to peer lending (Lendoit ETH Lending)
  • Mortgage Lending (VaultBank)
  • Fractioanlisation of Assets (La Token)
  • Betting (DAO betting)
  • Property investing (Propy)
  • Credit Analysis (Paypie)
  • Invoice financing
  • Forex exchange (Spectre)
  • and more ...
These projects, in turn, would enhance the use of Dash as Cash! The smart contract/side chain system itself would not be used directly by the masses.

It would be used by developers to create projects which have Dash as the underlying currency.

Some of these projects will be successful and they would bring in many more people into the Dash ecosystem.

Let's see this video clip:

I appreciate your engagement with my comments and believe I am here to learn.

Let me put your analogy in the context of the current cryptocurrency market

There is Dash which is still a teenager, then there is Bitcoin which is a middle-aged man and then there is syscoin which is also a teenager and BCash which is sitting alone in a corner....

They each have X resources to build a tool to capture as many chickens as they can from a whole herd of chickens. (Capturing the market)

Now true you can go collect the one by one but with the right utility you can control and herd much more chickens at a time.

Dash is getting more merchants because of its current USPs, cheaper transactions (and with evolution cheaper ones) - what happens when Bitcoin transactions are cheaper than Dash's? Shouldn't the Dash community be thinking now about being nimble about its long term strategy.

I appreciate your engagement with my comments and believe I am here to learn.

Let me put your analogy in the context of the current cryptocurrency market

There is Dash which is still a teenager, then there is Bitcoin which is a middle-aged man and then there is syscoin which is also a teenager and BCash which is sitting alone in a corner....

They each have X resources to build a tool to capture as many chickens as they can from a whole herd of chickens. (Capturing the market)

Now true you can go collect the one by one but with the right utility you can control and herd much more chickens at a time.

Dash is getting more merchants because of its current USPs, cheaper transactions (and with evolution cheaper ones) - what happens when Bitcoin transactions are cheaper than Dash's? Shouldn't the Dash community be thinking now about being nimble about its long term strategy.
However poetic you put it it's still the same result.
DASH has bitcoin covered on far more than transaction fees also, I cannot believe you would even try and compare the two suggesting transactions are the only benefit of DASH.
How about:
Instant transactions
Private transactions
Sub cent fees
Tech support
A growing node network (not shrinking)
And an evolution roadmap

Please tell me about bitcoin again?
Don't get me wrong I loved the idea of bitcoin back in 2010 when I first invested, however, the technology has gone from trailblazer to refusing to evolve. Tech that doesn't evolve dies off. Full respect for the innovation though

Yocko,

Bitcoin does have similar functionalities to the ones you mentioned above, some of which could scale better than the bigger blocks (but that is another discussion)

Instant transactions - https://lightning.network/
Private transactions - https://www.cryptocompare.com/coins/guides/what-is-mimblewimble/
Sub cent fees
Tech support
A growing node network (not shrinking) - https://lnmainnet.gaben.win/
And an evolution roadmap -

My point here is to raise awareness not about the next hill, but the mountain which comes soon after. I think Dash Core are tackling the upcoming challenges quite well through their Business development and Evolution Development (Although the lack of a schedule is worrying). After the hill there is a mountain, we need to talk about that today so we are better ready for it. That mountain as I see it will be twofold, one the one hand bitcoin and on the other the regulators.

Dash's USP needs to evolve if Bitcoins USP is going to become more interesting.

I don't think implementing smart contracts and side chains is a bad idea (if that is feasible). Anything can be put up for a proposal and proposed funding.

With that said, people are not looking at this the right way. Dash not being on the top 10 right now just means that it is currently undervalued in comparison with the total market cap which is a great thing for people getting into Dash now. Additionally, many people are chasing the cheaper priced coins (i.e. Ripple) without paying attention to the total supply in circulation. Dash has among the lowest supplies of all Crypto. When factoring in supply, Dash is the best bargain now among the top crypto (BTC, ETH, NEO).

Back