• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Why are there so few ipv6 masternodes?

dashguy

Hi, I came across a page on github which says that masternodes can run on ipv6. However, at present there are only 11 ipv6 masternodes out of a total of 3277 (I counted them on dashninja). This surprises me because I know that ipv6 addresses are usually cheaper than ipv4 addresses, and I would have thought that masternode owners would want to minimize hosting costs.

Is there a reason why so few people are running masternodes on ipv6? For example, would ipv6 nodes get paid less frequently than ipv4 nodes due to connection issues between ipv4 and ipv6? Or perhaps there is some other good reason that I am missing. I would really appreciate any insight here. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I came across a page on github which says that masternodes can run on ipv6. However, at present there are only 11 ipv6 masternodes out of a total of 3277 (I counted them on dashninja). This surprises me because I know that ipv6 addresses are usually cheaper than ipv4 addresses, and I would have thought that masternode owners would want to minimize hosting costs.

Is there a reason why so few people are running masternodes on ipv6? For example, would ipv6 nodes get paid less frequently than ipv4 nodes due to connection issues between ipv4 and ipv6? Or perhaps there is some other good reason that I am missing. I would really appreciate any insight here. Thanks!
FYI, I understand that the masternode's internet address is not factor for payment.
The cheap hosting could be lack of support and unstable uptime so I understand that this could be a reason for not running masternode on cheap hosting.
If you have good support/stable/cheap hosting to introduce, I would glad to know.

FYI, I understand that the masternode's internet address is not factor for payment.
The cheap hosting could be lack of support and unstable uptime so I understand that this could be a reason for not running masternode on cheap hosting.
If you have good support/stable/cheap hosting to introduce, I would glad to know.
I would love to know too. As someone said it costs nothing for testers to run masternodes on testnet because there are servers to rent for like 9 bucks a year, i sure would love to see proof of such masternodes run on those servers with no down time. :)

And cheap ipv6?

Thanks, that is useful info. In that case I expect the number of ipv6 masternodes will increase over time, as ipv4 addresses get more and more scarce. As for hosting recommendations, finding a good, stable, host with good support for 9 dollars a year is a bit like finding the holy grail I guess. Most of the cheap hosts I've seen can barely cobble together a website, which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that they can keep a server running.

Back