• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Which Masternode model should we implement?

Hi strix, If you saw an attack maybe it would be wise to send a dev a private message about it to make sure they see it quickly :)

This may be a dumb question. Do we need to change anything in the source code to run darkcoin on Tor? Isn't there an option that lets you choose IPv4, IPv6 or Tor network? I thought people were running darkcoin with Tor (outproxy?). I remembered there was a howto page on setting up darkcoin with Tor.

This is probably another dumb question, but couldn't the entire DRK system be run as a single large vpn? Is that what a P2P network is? Is this what TOR is?

This is probably another dumb question, but couldn't the entire DRK system be run as a single large vpn? Is that what a P2P network is? Is this what TOR is?
I think it is more than that. It has the onion routing part besides being p2p.

EDIT: Can we just add the onion routing part to darkcoin? I mean having our own onion routing by making use of the codes in Tor or i2p (if Tor's funding is a worry). Then, we can have some early version that works on both IPv4/6 and our own onion routing network. Then, once it is stable enough, we have another release that works only on our own onion routing network.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think everyone in the discussion of Tor/I2P should read this if he/she hasn't done yet:

https://geti2p.net/en/comparison/tor

EDIT: Perhaps, darkcoin developers can work with I2Pd developers. I thought they were interested in having their own cryptocurrency. They may be interested in working with Evan.
This is a better read: http://resources.infosecinstitute.com/anonymizing-networks-tor-vs-i2p/
To sum up, I'd just quote the author's conclusion here:
I believe that despite the fact that I2P has existed about a decade, it is very under-utilized, the presence of a limited community represents in my opinion a brake on its growth.

I have used both and I found both efficiency effective. I tried also to sniff a package using specific software with the intent to disclose navigation data or any reference to the user’s identity, of course without success.

The success of anonymizing a network is related to their diffusion, and without doubt Tor is a step forward, and the more users have access to sharing resources, the faster will be the navigation.
On a side note, IRC Freenode network does not offer an I2P service, because according to one of the staff members there that, "using an i2p gateway to connect to us (the network) will present the same risks of snooping and other attacks as using exit nodes."

This is a better read: http://resources.infosecinstitute.com/anonymizing-networks-tor-vs-i2p/
To sum up, I'd just quote the author's conclusion here:

On a side note, IRC Freenode network does not offer an I2P service, because according to one of the staff members there that, "using an i2p gateway to connect to us (the network) will present the same risks of snooping and other attacks as using exit nodes."

Haven't read it yet but that article is kind of old. Both Tor and I2P have changed quite a bit from 2 yrs ago. I just want to highlight the differences that may be important to us:

Centralized control vs Fully distributed,
Optimized for hidden services,
Bandwidth overhead of being a full peer,
(... fill in whatever you think appropriate)

This one is old too but it explains why NameCoin was integrated into I2P in an experiment:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60879.0

So, if we have darkcoin listening on both IPv4/6 and I2P (resolved by NameCoin), the blockchain won't fork on these different networks. Right?

EDIT: On a second thought, we don't really need NameCoin as a resolver in our case.

Haven't read it yet but that article is kind of old. Both Tor and I2P have changed quite a bit from 2 yrs ago. I just want to highlight the differences that may be important to us:

Centralized control vs Fully distributed,
Optimized for hidden services,
Bandwidth overhead of being a full peer,
(... fill in whatever you think appropriate)
You're reading from an I2P site, of course it has to say it's better. Try to find an objective view, old or new. Sure things could have been changed the last two years but it still depends on the number of users and exit nodes that I2P has less than Tor. I don't know for sure but from a few sites this is the info I've got.

You're reading from an I2P site, of course it has to say it's better. Try to find an objective view, old or new. Sure things could have been changed the last two years but it still depends on the number of users and exit nodes that I2P has less than Tor. I don't know for sure but from a few sites this is the info I've got.
I agree that they may be biased on which is better. However, the differences in design choice can be simple facts. For example, centralized control may prove a point for those against Tor for NSA-like reason. Another example is 'Floodfill peers ("directory servers") are varying and untrusted, rather than hardcoded'. Those are just simple facts about their design choice.

I2P is not lying on their site.

The biggest difference from I2P and Tor is that I2P supports UDP protocol.

I2P is designed to be used as a hidden service not an out-proxy. I2P developers actually recommend Tor for using as an outproxy.

Tor compared to I2P... Tor developers are wasting the funding they get. I2P has none to very little funding and have done a way better job. Tor developers get paid millions of dollars. I wish all this cash would go to I2P developers because they really do deserve it.

But yeah.. Tor is centralized because directory auth servers are indeed hardcoded and if Tor developers stop running them then Tor dies yet I2P lives on without anyone.

I2P is not lying on their site.

The biggest difference from I2P and Tor is that I2P supports UDP protocol.

I2P is designed to be used as a hidden service not an out-proxy. I2P developers actually recommend Tor for using as an outproxy.

Tor compared to I2P... Tor developers are wasting the funding they get. I2P has none to very little funding and have done a way better job. Tor developers get paid millions of dollars. I wish all this cash would go to I2P developers because they really do deserve it.

But yeah.. Tor is centralized because directory auth servers are indeed hardcoded and if Tor developers stop running them then Tor dies yet I2P lives on without anyone.
Then why is it that I2P hasn't gained much user base like Tor?

Then why is it that I2P hasn't gained much user base like Tor?
As I get it: looks like more users want to use out-proxies to get to restricted Internet services or simply staying anonymous in Internet than to use "in-proxies" to get to hidden services.
And btw by that description I feel like I2P could suit us more - MNs network is a service actually.

As I get it: looks like more users want to use out-proxies to get to restricted Internet services or simply staying anonymous in Internet than to use "in-proxies" to get to hidden services.
And btw by that description I feel like I2P could suit us more - MNs network is a service actually.
So... which one is it that you devs have decided to use? Tor or I2P hidden services? :)

EDIT: Can we use both? Plus our own VPNs, we'll be really in the dark! :grin:

So... which one is it that you devs have decided to use? Tor or I2P hidden services? :)

No idea :tongue: Actually I'm focusing on some internal optimizations now.

But I have to say that this brainstorming is very interesting and I already learned a lot following this discussion and provided links (tnx everyone:wink:). I can't say that I understand everything that I read there though...

I think it still a subject to discuss/test and we have some time hopefully so decision won't happen overnight :smile:

No idea :tongue: Actually I'm focusing on some internal optimizations now.

But I have to say that this brainstorming is very interesting and I already learned a lot following this discussion and provided links (tnx everyone:wink:). I can't say that I understand everything that I read there though...

I think it still a subject to discuss/test and we have some time hopefully so decision won't happen overnight :smile:
I don't understand all of the tech nitty gritty in the discussion but I've learned a lot and appreciate everyone's input here too.
Btw, we were talking about you in IRC a little while ago...
[19:40:51] <GNULinuxGuy> Udjin is on a roll today too.. good stuff
[19:41:39] <moli> GNULinuxGuy: where
[19:41:52] <moli> udjin must be evan's twin brother.. lol
[19:42:11] <GNULinuxGuy> https://github.com/darkcoin/darkcoin/commits/v0.11.2.x
[19:42:31] <Jeff8247> this is why i only use btc/drk
[19:42:37] <Jeff8247> these guys are machines
We're lucky to have you. Thanks for all you've been doing! :smile:

I think we do not have a lot of resources to have both Tor and I2P because we need to consider the maintenance. So, it will be good to have a testing phase of both. For instance, first round on Tor and second round on I2P with the same number of participants. Need to take the smaller number of nodes on I2P in the comparison of results.

Once we decide the software design, I think we should integrate the onion or garlic routing into darkcoin so that it is easy for the majority of users to use and no configuration is needed. We should make use of the current Tor or I2P network. It seems I2P is more a natural choice because we do not want to go down with Tor if its centralized directory auth servers are gone.

EDIT: But, we may take the onion routing from Tor and implement our own decentralized directory auth servers. Whatever our developers find out work best for us.

Back