Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

Where is Charlie Shrem's DashPayCard?

Discussion in 'Pre + Budget Proposal Discussions' started by Acedian, May 17, 2017.

1. Acedian

Acedian Member

Dash Address:
    XeMABbcebB5yeZH2HxsV7yLNJA9hbzMgpz
    I would like, as I am sure many do, an update on the progress of the DashPayCard.
    I am very eager to see this bad boy in action! :D

The estimated time to release was 3 months. It has been 2 months now with no word on how the protect is going.
    I would like to hear from @CharlieShrem if possible, but any real information on this would be appreciated.

2. Gunna

Gunna Member

This is why I think we need a method to withhold progress payments unless updates\time line goals are met. There needs to be management of updates\progress paments after the proposal has been approved.

A well presented proposal by someone could allow thousands of dollars to be stolen with no work completed on their well oiled proposal. Masternode operators vote on the ideas put forward and use their best judgement to decide on proposals, if a well presented proposal is approved where is the governance after?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. camosoul

camosoul Grizzled Member

There's this thing called Due Diligence. MNOs, being utterly clueless in general, don't do it.

This scam only works because the MNOs consider nothing but the flashy presentation. If MNOs would grow up and get a clue, it wouldn't be possible. It's basically the Nigerian Prince scam. Only retards fall for it... Fortunately, for the scammers, MNOs are 85% retards.

• Like Like x 1
  4. David

David Well-known Member
    Dash Support Group

If you figure out a way to put that into code...

The problem is that there are lots of good ideas, but these ideas aren't possible to actually implement in code. As far as I can see, the only way to do what you are suggesting is for Core Team to hold funds in escrow. Some proposers are willing to allow that and some are not. There is no way to do this in an automatic, decentralized fashion--unless you or somebody else can code it.

P.S. Shrem gave an update on Dashnation Slack a few weeks ago. The real problem is that there are so many different communication channels that nobody can post updates on every single one (here, BCT, slack, twitter, Dash Central, reddit...).

5. jimbursch

jimbursch Active Member

He just needs to post an update at Dash Central -- it can just be a link to whereever, but that's where an update should go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ampp

ampp Member

Every funded proposal should create a new thread in separate spot for updates on dash central. That would be great.

I have some updates to send out soon and i don't feel like there is a right place to do it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. David

David Well-known Member
    Dash Support Group

...in your opinion. Some think they should be updated via Dash Nation Slack. Some think they should be updated on the "official" Dash forum. Some think reddit, or twitter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Old Old x 1
  8. Gunna

Gunna Member

And thats the limitation but I think DashCore should be using an escrow and that will be especially important as price increases

9. GrandMasterDash

GrandMasterDash Well-known Member
    Masternode Owner/Operator

Would be nice if updates were signed and broadcast through the dash core wallet

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Leonidas

Leonidas Active Member

Agreed. However, the obvious is to make a choice as community to choose which channel should be used for updates.

Frankly, I see it to be quite logical to be dashcentral as it is where those project gets there money from.

Usually, before a proposal passes, and before the owner get the money, he doesn't have a lot of trouble answering the questions asked on dashcentral... Then suddenly nothing ?

Dashcentral gives the money, dashcentral should get the updates (it doesn't prevent from them broadcasting to other channel, but if there is one to choose, that should be that one) !

11. AjM

AjM Well-known Member
    Foundation Member

Dashcentral gives nothing, its only 3'rd party site which present dash network data + option to write messages.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Acedian

Acedian Member

Dash Address:
    So, where is it?!

13. TroyDASH

TroyDASH Well-known Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rod Ambrissi

Rod Ambrissi Member

Dash Address:
    XyPR48YMikAoxoLGWoKGx5DsGHWMuGSBJM
    I just hope this works well, it will improve individuals ability to use, spend and promote Dash

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Andrew Ballantine

Andrew Ballantine New Member

I believe Charlie Shrem promised that the Dashpaycard would be available by the end of August.

Well it still isn't out. He really should put out an update to explain the current position before everyone cries scam.
    If I learned one thing in 40 years in the computer industry and business in general, it was that silence on a project is extremely bad news.
    If customers, clients or users are informed of delays and the reasons for them then they are more prepared to accept them.
    Apart from that it is just common courtesy to keep everyone informed.

Is there no one in charge of supervising these projects?

• Like Like x 2
  16. rullikas

rullikas Member

This is really great idea to make one specific place for funded projects. So can everybody see all updates and proof of work in one place.

17. Gunna

Gunna Member

The current proposal system is so flawed and really needs to be addressed.

• Like Like x 1
  18. thesavoyard

thesavoyard Member

Dash Address:
    Xp8WZRv9Papo21ySQE8ghtQDUxN6qoKzS6
    I'm almost ready to publish an update to my proposal. I have no problem reposting on Dashcentral and slack, but you cannot just create a thread on Dashcentral that I can see. Anyone know where? I think here is better than Slack. Slack is honestly kind of a mess of scrolling.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TroyDASH

I agree that right now, the forum is best. Crossposting/linking the forum update on dashcentral (as a comment on the original proposal discussion) can be helpful too. Slack only to notify/point to the update if you want

20. Acedian

Acedian Member

Dash Address:
    • Like Like x 1
  21. TroyDASH

Please review this video (2 weeks ago), the subject is discussed in depth:

22. RGXDK

RGXDK Guest

The video is 1:11:05, is there a short summary of the update?

23. TroyDASH

TL;DR - it looks like at this point the Dash branded card will not happen. A big part of the reason may be that mastercard or one of Payza's banking partners is blocking Payza from proceeding or even from providing an official update, which might explain the silence from Payza. Charlie Shrem, who is not Payza, for some reason has not indicated that he is running into unforeseen roadblocks. Since it is already possible to fund a Payza card with Dash (just not a Dash-branded one), the possibility remains that some benefits may be passed on to people who fund their cards with Dash, but this remains to be seen. Charlie Shrem has not yet communicated whether the funds he received from the treasury have already been spent or how much of it has been spent, and he has not communicated any plans for any un-spent funds.

• Informative Informative x 4
  24. RGXDK

RGXDK Guest

Thanks for the summary TroyDash.

How are we not shaming him into giving us an answer? It's our money and we are not asking for much, we should go after him without mercy until an update is given.

https://twitter.com/CharlieShrem

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. TroyDASH

A fair question. I'm curious what other MNOs think about what we should do about Charlie. I can understand if he is uncomfortable with coming back to the Dash community with bad news that he was unable to accomplish what he said or thought he was going to be able to do, especially if he already spent money towards something that ended up hitting a brick wall that was outside of his control and outside of Payza's control. But coming forward with an explanation is just plain the right thing to do, and failing to do so is a problem in my view.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. TroyDASH

So dramatic!
    Or, the Dash DAO is continually evolving and it is a process that doesn't happen overnight. You are painting this as if zero progress has been made in terms of the network starting to protect itself from scams and adding accountability and higher quality vetting to projects that we fund, which is absolutely untrue. Unfortunately the truth does not make for as exciting a narrative for your "news".

• Agree Agree x 4
  27. RGXDK

RGXDK Guest

Has this been debated before? Is multisig a good solution for the proposals?

Correct me if I'm wrong:
    - today: I put a proposal and if approved the network sends all the funds to my wallet.
    - multisig: same as today but needs 2/3 signatures to withdraw the money sent to the wallet, and this 2nd person would be the escrow.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Syntheist

Syntheist Active Member

Currently multisig addresses are not valid for treasury proposals.

If this can be changed then it would make it easier to do a simple form of on-chain escrow.

2/3 multisig isn't a guarantee that proposals will be delivered as there still remains the possibility of coercion, collaboration or complexity.

We can imagine the hypothetical situation in this case: even if the funds were escrowed Mr Shrem might well have secured a contract that would have guaranteed the creation of the card, thus enabling the release of funds from escrow to fund that contract. Payza would then have chosen to break that contract rather than set their whole business in fire, MasterCard (or whoever) forces everyone involved to sign NDAs and we have the a very similar result.

Multisig might be useful but it's not a panacea.

29. stan.distortion

stan.distortion Active Member

Not exactly on-topic but I've had emails from 2 card providers (Wirex, Tenx) in the last couple of days notifying changes in limits for unverified users, limits reduced from around 2000 euro to 200. A pain but imo it may be a sign that the rules for crypto debit cards are becoming better established and things could be more straight forward for issuers before too long, we can but hope.

30. ec1warc1

ec1warc1 Active Member

The lesson Mr. Shrem has taught the MNO community was an expensive one. Even so, it was a good lesson to learn. As a proposal owner, I keep Mr. Shrem's lack of attention in mind whenever I create updates on my project for review by the community. I also create as many updates as I can, in video format, and post them to YouTube for public review because I think it is the right thing to do. It is part of the work that needs to be done. I hope others will do the same.