What is Sentinel? (Masternodes)

slamdunk

Jul 31, 2016
www.dash.org
I think what distinguishes DASH is exactly this- "hey we might have a problem let's incentivize an investigation into the problem."

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
Is facing the alternative, catastrophic failure, not incentive enough? Is that not incentive enough to even talk about it?

OR, do we really need a budget proposal because they need to be paid just to have a conversation? Is that how bad the hubris and arrogance has become?

Are you suggesting that it is that bad, and that it's not a bad thing?

I kinda doubt it, but that's what it looks like...

Last edited:
Reactions: TroyDASH

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
some very few Tor nodes
I'd like to know how the tor stuff is being done and the compatibility programmed into dashd... We've been told that dashd requires binding to a public, static IPv4. So, how can this be?

This is one of many details that proves that we're not being told anywhere near the whole story about the function and behavior of the software we're running... dashd has more questions in it than answers at this point.
Code:
externalip=bv4765jv37jb3v5j3jc.onion
?
Code:
MN001 [n86ib35c53g568b46j.onion]:9999 74t2h567b3jcjtyuvVj367jcCJe7j3cccjjc 456u75uv57hc67ueur7j64hghyhtj57u53uhvj6rujvrj6jcjv4jc3hv 0
?

I don't know how that's working, or if there are any masternodes that get paid that have hidden IP addresses. But I can tell you one thing, tor is super slow, and if they do try to run a MN through tor, they're probably falling off the grid. It's not something we want people doing for certain, as the service would suck. And I think this is a loop hole that was plugged in 12.1?

Last edited by a moderator:

halso

Apr 27, 2016
Sydney, Australia
I have a theory about why sentinel hasn't been described in more detail (when I say theory, I also mean wild speculation on my part).

The reason for the lack of detail is because one of the "objects" that can be controlled now is a variable that sets an amount for collatarised mining.

Collatarised mining is effectively a tax on miners (equal to the opportunity cost of holding the collateral).

If miners fully understood that 12.1 included the ability to tax them in the future, then maybe they wouldn't upgrade.

TanteStefana

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
I just saw @afreer answer Amanda, who basically just asked this same question, and found the answer very enlightening!

afreer [5:12 AM]
@amanda_b_johnson the differences with Sentinel are really architectural and not easy/interesting to explain to users as they are a bridge from 12.0 towards Evo features (but not full implementing them), and Sentinel was only a part of 12.1 improvements anyway. Pre-Sentinel, governance functions were 'hard wired' into core code. Sentinel abstracts this process because in Evolution there are many Object types from Users to Accounts to Contacts etc, and if we didn't make this change first, future changes / improvements in Evolution (e.g. adding a new type of Object) would require changing core code. Now Core is agnostic to types of objects and we can take this forward for user experience and not just governance.

In terms of documentation, first thing - the whitepaper last year wasn't actually a whitepaper, not sure why it was released with that name - anyway, no, there is no whitepaper specific to Sentinel, but we have various docs for Evo in an on-going RFC process but we haven't released anything yet, but we are using them as the basis for Evo development (will release them before Evo but not quite ready yet)

In terms of 'proof of service', this is really something that's unimportant right now in Dash, and commonly misunderstood. What it means in Dash is punishing MNs that cheat some of their additional roles, not security on data added to the blockchain, as some people are claiming (who have no idea how Dash works). It's not a problem that's occurred for us (probably because there's not real reason / incentivizes are actually to help the network for your investment).

Reactions: UdjinM6

tungfa

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Masternode Owner/Operator
Apr 9, 2014
I have a theory about why sentinel hasn't been described in more detail (when I say theory, I also mean wild speculation on my part).

The reason for the lack of detail is because one of the "objects" that can be controlled now is a variable that sets an amount for collatarised mining.

Collatarised mining is effectively a tax on miners (equal to the opportunity cost of holding the collateral).

If miners fully understood that 12.1 included the ability to tax them in the future, then maybe they wouldn't upgrade.
whaaaat - conspiracy theory #452 :rolleyes:
naaaa nothing like that in there !
there is no "hiding" anything - it comes down to good old plain documentation
as coders are they code and do not document - same old ;) - documention (what u actually do) is a pain and takes a long time - and so far nobody stepped up to the task - that is all
we had a proposal last year about hiring (tx tante) a technical writer (for exactly documentations like this) unfortunately it got voted down (as it was misunderstood by many ) i believe we will resubmit that proposal eventually as we really need good and more documentation (not only sentinel but IS, PS, ....)

Last edited:

TanteStefana

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
I'd like to know how the tor stuff is being done and the compatibility programmed into dashd... We've been told that dashd requires binding to a public, static IPv4. So, how can this be?

This is one of many details that proves that we're not being told anywhere near the whole story about the function and behavior of the software we're running... dashd has more questions in it than answers at this point.
Code:
externalip=bv4765jv37jb3v5j3jc.onion
?
Code:
MN001 [n86ib35c53g568b46j.onion]:9999 74t2h567b3jcjtyuvVj367jcCJe7j3cccjjc 456u75uv57hc67ueur7j64hghyhtj57u53uhvj6rujvrj6jcjv4jc3hv 0
?

I don't know how that's working, or if there are any masternodes that get paid that have hidden IP addresses. But I can tell you one thing, tor is super slow, and if they do try to run a MN through tor, they're probably falling off the grid. It's not something we want people doing for certain, as the service would suck. And I think this is a loop hole that was plugged in 12.1?
flare just answered for me. Apparently there was a loop hole, but as of 12.1 it's closed:

flare [1:28 PM]
Since 12.1 masternodes require a public IPv4 connection - both IPv6 and Tor addresses can't be announced. The background is to improve connectivity and mixing experience.

TanteStefana

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
as coders are they code and do not document - same old ;) - documention (what u actually do) is a pain and takes a long time - and so far nobody stepped up to the task - that is all
we had a proposal last year about hurting a technical writer (for exactly documentations like this) unfortunately it got voted down (as it was misunderstood nba lol then by many) i believe we will resubmit that proposal eventually as we really need good and more documentation (not only sentinel but IS, PS, ....)
You wanted to hurt a technical writer? Well, i guess I'm glad that proposal was voted down! I thought we wanted to hire one ;P (Oh boy, I can see getting smacked if I ever meet you in person ;P)

Actually, we should try this again. It's important.

halso

Apr 27, 2016
Sydney, Australia
we had a proposal last year about hiring (tx tante) a technical writer (for exactly documentations like this) unfortunately it got voted down (as it was misunderstood by many ) i believe we will resubmit that proposal eventually as we really need good and more documentation (not only sentinel but IS, PS, ....)
@demo hasn't been on here in a while. So I figured people might be missing a good conspiracy theory. Haha. But yeah, Sentinel seems like a bit of a black box to me (and others). Perhaps someone could start with the basics. Like what the heck is an "object"? And can we have examples of 5 different objects?

Reactions: tungfa