• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

What is DarkCoin for the new initiate :)

TanteStefana

Foundation Member
The only coin that has a future, and I'm not just saying that to be annoying, is DarkCoin. Started January 18th it is a new alt coin, however, it has a highly talented developer. Here are some of the features of this new coin:
11 hashing algorithms to make it ASIC resistant, it's still a viable CPU miner, I mine with both CPU and GPU. It also runs the GPU MUCH cooler, 30% cooler leaving your room cooler and not wearing out your GPU or stressing the system so badly (and quieter fans!)
But that's not the good part. Evan Duffield, our developer, has created an anonymous wallet. Not with a mixing service or TOR no, this is called DarkSend and it hides the address FROM THE WALLET. The blockchain will not contain your wallet address but a throw-away address that is untraceable. Even the coins are difficult to follow, using an implementation of coinjoin. It's a simple yet effective solution. Simplicity = much harder to crack. As Einstein said, the solution should be as simple as possible but no simpler"
Darksend is working NOW, in beta. it is closed source until the developer has everything worked out, so no faulty code is grabbed and used by other alt coins. The only issues I see with it now are that sometimes, the transaction gets kicked back (no coins lost though), and to set your wallet up requires you to issue a command in the console, which is clunky. I'm sure the user interface for Darksend will be smoothed out, it's just still in Beta.
Our highly talented and dedicated developer has other plans for the coin that he has only hinted at, and I don't doubt he will come through on that as he has been very responsive to all issues that have come up since launch, implementing KGW right as our first mining whale plopped down on us, and this has since kept the whales away or at least at bay.
Coin rewards for mining are based on 2222222/(((Difficulty+2600)/9)2) = Reward
The graph looks like this: http://www.steemjammer.com/images/graph.png
there is a hard limit of 84 million coins, but this limit will take proximately 70-80 years to reach depending on how popular the coin is to mine. Once difficulty reaches approximately 5000, the coin rewards will bottom out at 5 coins per block and stay there until the 84 million coin wall is hit.
This coin is well thought out, well planned, has an excellent team of developers lead by Evan Duffield, a young man with Software and system development experience in the Banking industries. You can't get better than this!
P.S. I just wrote this for one of my pool that I mine bitcoin in where they're thinking of adding a coin. Then I posted on reddit and now here. I figured it would be useful to post in more places :)

The only coin that has a future, and I'm not just saying that to be annoying, is DarkCoin. Started January 18th it is a new alt coin, however, it has a highly talented developer. Here are some of the features of this new coin:
11 hashing algorithms to make it ASIC resistant, it's still a viable CPU miner, I mine with both CPU and GPU. It also runs the GPU MUCH cooler, 30% cooler leaving your room cooler and not wearing out your GPU or stressing the system so badly (and quieter fans!)
But that's not the good part. Evan Duffield, our developer, has created an anonymous wallet. Not with a mixing service or TOR no, this is called DarkSend and it hides the address FROM THE WALLET. The blockchain will not contain your wallet address but a throw-away address that is untraceable. Even the coins are difficult to follow, using an implementation of coinjoin. It's a simple yet effective solution. Simplicity = much harder to crack. As Einstein said, the solution should be as simple as possible but no simpler"
Darksend is working NOW, in beta. it is closed source until the developer has everything worked out, so no faulty code is grabbed and used by other alt coins. The only issues I see with it now are that sometimes, the transaction gets kicked back (no coins lost though), and to set your wallet up requires you to issue a command in the console, which is clunky. I'm sure the user interface for Darksend will be smoothed out, it's just still in Beta.
Our highly talented and dedicated developer has other plans for the coin that he has only hinted at, and I don't doubt he will come through on that as he has been very responsive to all issues that have come up since launch, implementing KGW right as our first mining whale plopped down on us, and this has since kept the whales away or at least at bay.
Coin rewards for mining are based on 2222222/(((Difficulty+2600)/9)2) = Reward
The graph looks like this: http://www.steemjammer.com/images/graph.png
there is a hard limit of 84 million coins, but this limit will take proximately 70-80 years to reach depending on how popular the coin is to mine. Once difficulty reaches approximately 5000, the coin rewards will bottom out at 5 coins per block and stay there until the 84 million coin wall is hit.
This coin is well thought out, well planned, has an excellent team of developers lead by Evan Duffield, a young man with Software and system development experience in the Banking industries. You can't get better than this!
P.S. I just wrote this for one of my pool that I mine bitcoin in where they're thinking of adding a coin. Then I posted on reddit and now here. I figured it would be useful to post in more places :)
The only thing im worried about with darksend is the possibility for major attack and then absolutely unrecoverable coins. It seems like its putting a crosshair on our backs for theft because it comes with a built in burner. Or am I looking at this all wrong?

The only thing im worried about with darksend is the possibility for major attack and then absolutely unrecoverable coins. It seems like its putting a crosshair on our backs for theft because it comes with a built in burner. Or am I looking at this all wrong?

What do you mean by built in burner? Darksend might make finding thieves impossible but as it is thieves are hard to track with BTC already. I do not know a single instance of BTC being recovered after theft so I don't see how darkcoin would be too different. It's just an inherent risk of concurrency and non-reversable transactions, I don't think darksend adds any extra danger of theft.

And most theft happened due to holes in 3rd party systems, at exchanges. Has there been theft from a person's encrypted wallet yet? Not saying it can't happen, and I am new to this, but I haven't heard of theft from a wallet yet (now watch me lose mine, I should shut up LOL)

What do you mean by built in burner? Darksend might make finding thieves impossible but as it is thieves are hard to track with BTC already. I do not know a single instance of BTC being recovered after theft so I don't see how darkcoin would be too different. It's just an inherent risk of concurrency and non-reversable transactions, I don't think darksend adds any extra danger of theft.
Well thank you for clarifying that. I wasnt sure how the whole thing worked. And yea I suppose you are right a thief is a thief. They will find a way if they can.

Xs8jKu3dqPy6mXPx1fEcfvu9NHNpU4Wucq

i find the coin itself interesting, but I think Darksend is the thing that will make this take off.

BUT, what if Darksend doesn't work as well as we all hope?

i find the coin itself interesting, but I think Darksend is the thing that will make this take off.

I think darksend will work better than we expect tbh. This coin and dev have a knack for exceeding expectations.

Xs8jKu3dqPy6mXPx1fEcfvu9NHNpU4Wucq

I've been thinking about that too, couldn't you just track through timestamps? I mean this gives no hard evidence but couldn't you build a circumstantial case tying addresses together?

Also, there is the possibility in the future, that ill begotten coins, traceable in the bitcoin blockchain, might be rejected by merchants making them tainted coins even if you accepted them in good faith. Leaving you with coins you can't spend or sell.

I've been thinking about that too, couldn't you just track through timestamps? I mean this gives no hard evidence but couldn't you build a circumstantial case tying addresses together?
but when pooled the way darksend does, you can't tell which wallet's input into the pool was sent on to which recipient. And the change is returned to the payer with a throw away, untraceable address. So you can't tell which payer was refunded what. It's really simple and being so simple makes it less likely to have holes in it, IMO

Hehe, there are two things that can allow an altcoin to take lead over bitcoin a im aware. 1) if bitcoin is broken & 2) If bitcoin is replaced by something more innovative/userfriendly like casettes got replaced by cd's, cd's by dvd's by blueray and so on. Darkcoin indeed is very interesting. However, the truth as i see it is bitcoin could adopt this technology, what then?? correct me if im wrong.

Hehe, there are two things that can allow an altcoin to take lead over bitcoin a im aware. 1) if bitcoin is broken & 2) If bitcoin is replaced by something more innovative/userfriendly like casettes got replaced by cd's, cd's by dvd's by blueray and so on. Darkcoin indeed is very interesting. However, the truth as i see it is bitcoin could adopt this technology, what then?? correct me if im wrong.

It could but bitcoin is moving towards more transparency so it's doubtful they would implement coinjoin. Even if bitcoin did implement coinjoin it might slightly help darkcoin because it could possibly seen as an endorsement/giving creadence to the idea. Also we would still have X11 and DGW so we'd still be better :p

Some people say it's unlikely that bitcoin will implement anything as they're afraid to break their multi billion dollar economy.

Back