• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

We need a resource, "Security for Newbies" and we don't have it.

solarguy

Due to the 27 awesome things we are doing, I expect to have an enormous number of new users in the next year. One topic that I think we lack: basic security practices for newbies. Since we actually care about our new users, I would love to see a sticky or a resource geared toward newbies.

Further, it should cover basic PC practices (desktop wallets), browser wallets, phone/app wallets, hardware wallets, common exploits to watch out for, etc. And, I'm not the guy to do it, or I would just do it.

Maybe there's a resource I am unaware of, and we can just sticky it or point to it.

Maybe there is not a good resource that is Dash specific, and somebody feels called to just do it. Yippee.

Maybe there is no good resource, and somebody out there with cutting edge knowledge, and the ability to teach it to newbies, wants to make some money through a proposal.

TAKE MY MONEY!

I agree with you. Something is clearly missing.

I have been writing a guide in French with that idea in mind. The fact is I had many friends that wanted to invest but I didn't want to be the one managing their money so I had to explain them really carefully EVERYTHING. So to save some times, I decided to make that guide. It's not finished yet and it's quite long but it is necessary. I'm sure some guys around have done that in English !

New User Tips

3 tabs over at the top of the screen....??....??

New User Tips

My mother, if she'd speak english, would be lost with the so many links provided. And, anyways, resources inside are just too complex and complicated (especially atlassian links - by the way, the link about "How to buy dash" is broken - who is there to ping ?).

Stella articles are much better as so far newbies are concerned but there are many of them. IMO, there should be a complete but simple guide prior to all those links that does not present what is the difference between a hardware wallet and software wallet but just tells newbies what to do.

Plus, that's exactly what a newbie is looking for. To trust in somebody at the beginning. Once they know they are safe, then they are able to absorb more information and make some more tune adaptations to their situation.

Last edited:
If you work your way through all the links, the new users tips does provide a lot of useful security information (far more than on the DashPay subreddit and the Slack channel). I just wonder if it can be made more accessible, and link to it prominently at the Dashpay reddit sidebar, and I think there are no links from the Slack channel. I think...

Do I need a malware detection program?
Do I need a firewall?
Can my antivirus stop a keylogger?
And we need a big red flashing warning about that stupid fake Dash-wallet.com site
What's a phishing scam?
I lost my password, can I get my Dash back?
How do I store my 12 word seed? How many copies do I need?
Should I encrypt the dash wallet? What does that protect me from?
Is a mac safer than a pc?
Do I have to learn Linux? Is Linux better and safer?
Is dropbox a safe place to keep my wallet back up?
I heard trezors can be hacked. Are they safe?
are there certain kinds of websites that I shouldn't visit?
How do I pass my Dash on to my wife or kids after I die?

And I'm sure there are 17 other things I am not thinking of at the moment.

And perhaps video like Amanda's Dash school.

Last edited:
The matter is not merely having your coins stolen, but, also, being spied on.

The last two generations have been victims of the Apple ideals of technology; hide everything instead of learn everything.

They have no idea where to start, know nothing about any of the technologies they use. You have to start with basic computer and networking principles. That's Rule #0.

Rule #1: DO NOT USE ANY COMMERCIAL OS! EVER! PERIOD! THIS MEANS WINDOWS, CHROMEOS, ANDROID, MACOS. IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE LINUX/FREEBSD: LEARN! NOW!

Any homogeneous complex system can be compromised by a failure to look at the details. Look into minimalist, source-compiled distributions. Gentoo. It's like Linux and FreeBSD in one...

Anything short of this is giving people a false sense of security. Once they learn it, they can think for themselves and make their own decisions.

New User Tips

"New User Explanations and Safety Details" doesn't load. I've tried several times.

And while this forum is great, what about Reddit and the Slack Channel?

OK, that tab works again.....

Last edited:
Back