• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Warka Water tower for clean drinking water in Haiti

feedbands

Hey friends,

As some of you know I am constantly brokering proposals for Dash where I think it could be valuable. I've contacted high level folks who work in POS to submit integration proposals. I've contacted the Shift card team to integrate, etc. etc.

Last month after voting closed, I heard from a lot of MNOs that all the submissions were marketing related and that Dash is not doing enough Goodwill projects. This may seem unimportant but Goodwill is hugely important. The blockchain has the ability to show the world it is a force of good and goes way beyond people making a lot of money. Every enterprise in the world has a line item on their budget for Goodwill. If people can see you are doing good in the world then they want to help you succeed. It's that simple.

Warka Water towers:
Warka Water towers harvest drinking water from the air:

I've been in touch with the team over there and for a budget of $15,000 they can install a Warka Water tower in Haiti. Haiti has been absolutely devastated in recent years and many are still without clean drinking water. A single warka water tower can supply 100 liters of clean drinking water per day.

Here is their official proposal letter.

If MNOs find this desirable I am happy to put up the fee and navigate the submission process, which they find to be expensive and confusing.

Last edited:
This looks interesting how many people would be affected?
How much would it be todo more then one?

I received this response:

To answer your questions

The Warka tower will be offering different services, not only only potable water but production water (edible garden), energy (solar panels), internet, children educational sessions, workshops with local artisans and artists.

Also people from the community will be working on it for the construction so for 3 months (almost all is done by and with them) we will employ some 10 people, after that one person to be full time responsible and managing it, two for the edible garden.

Concerning potable water, with one W Tower we can serve some 4 family, about 18 people, with agriculture education and training some 60 people

Concerning costs for additional towers in Haiti my guest is that, for the basic version, it should cost around 12.000 for a second one, 9.000 for a 3th and 7.000 for each more after 2.

Extra functions not included in the basic version:

The solar system to provide energy and illumination has 3 different module, first 3.000 USD, second 5.000 and the larger 7.000 USD, this is can be integrated or not. This can serve another 80 people the larger solar option

The production system has 4 modules, from 3.000 to 6.000 USD depending on the size of the modular edible garden, this are set up costs.

I hope this is clear enough.

Best regards

Interesting project but I would rather focus on Venezuelan projects and linking the various initiatives.

This would be very interesting to see funded. Dash has the potential to be more than a cryptocurrency and more than a virtual corporation - this could be the first step towards realizing that vision.

There is no point in pursuing Charity right now. You can't build good will for something that no one knows exists.

Fog harvesting technology is not particularly new. It has also been exhaustively studied with regards to the best fabric to use, best size holes, optimal spacing, etc etc etc.

https://phys.org/news/2013-08-fog-harvesting-fresh-thin-air.html

Research has been going for at least 20 years. The Warkas tower system uses the same kind of fabric, but in this fancy tower configuration and a price that is literally more than 10x of the equivalent "fog fence" installation. A 40 square meter fog fence can be installed for $1,500 or less, and the construction is far less complex than the magic tower. It's two fence posts and some rope or cable to hold the fence up and a pipe to catch the water. It's not rocket science.

We could help, literally, ten times as many people for the same amount of money by using proven low tech "fence" installations.

http://www.fogquest.org/f-a-q/

So I would advocate that we -not- give any money whatsoever to the Warka project because it would cut the number of people helped by at least 90%.

Yes, I think you're quite right on this solarguy.

A few posts up I said that this project is not going to move forward. Though, I am glad that it is sparking some consideration and thoughtful feedback.

Also responded on reddit yesterday but not here. sorry about that. sometimes it's difficult maintaining conversations in multiple places at once.

Goodwill is good business.
The book the Go-giver talks about exactly this.
Tie all goodwill to the Dash brand...it will be great for image and spreading the word

Goodwill is good business.
The book the Go-giver talks about exactly this.
Tie all goodwill to the Dash brand...it will be great for image and spreading the word
Right, I think we can at least all agree that projects like this make a lot of sense for Dash.

As solarguy pointed out, the cost effectiveness of WarkaWater leaves something to be desired. Fog catchers can likely be deployed for 1/10 of the cost, and so if we're going to do Goodwill, we might as well be sensible about it and deliver maximum value for dollar spent which WarkaWater unfortunately does not offer.

I'm all for goodwill, but our brand doesn't even exist yet.

If there was a LOVE button I would press it for this comment. ABSOLUTELY...but we will...question is how? Do we need an army of Amanda B. Johnsons? No there can only be one of those...I am thinking of a different kind of force

a
One could argue that goodwill would make a strong addition to the formation of our brand.

Oh yes - and I love this too. My feeling is they grow together. I cannot bear the whole concept of corporations and captains of industry that make gazzilions and THEN do the good will, save the world, let's look like we care stuff...
...so good will projects BUT viable ones...as we go forward excites me

Hi very interessing how about this project, So i live in Haiti and lead Dash Haiti group, So thats will be great for people here, because as you know in which situation some ppl are living here, so i think that you con continue to work in this project. Feel free to contact me if you need any assistance from Haiti.

Back