• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

VPS for hosting masternodes, payment in crypto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day!

Which VPS providers (except vultr, Digital Ocean and Amazon) do you use to host your masternodes? Is it possible to pay in crypto (BTC, DASH)?

vultr does not allow to add additional IPs for Bitcoin funded accounts!

Unable to add IP address: Extra IPs are not available for Bitcoin funded accounts

Thanks!

I only created an account with them yesterday because I heard from a good source that they were very reliable (which is what I wanted) and cheap. Sorry, at this point that's all I know about them...

I have one MN there, now 6 weeks old, minimal specs, no problems so far.
I probably move all my nodes to time4vps later, this first one is 'test' MN.

edit: typo

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one MN there, now 6 weeks old, minimal specs, no problems so far.
I probably move all my nodes to time4vps later, this first one is 'test' MN.

edit: typo
Hi Ajm! What is your experience with time4vps so far?

Do they ask for an ID/passport/driving license?
How do you pay the VAT?
Is it possible to sign up/login to the VPS via Tor?
Is the XS configuration (RAM 512 MB, bandwidth 0.5 TB) OK for your test masternode?
How is the support?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Hi Ajm! What is your experience with time4vps so far?

Do they ask for an ID/passport/driving license?
How do you pay the VAT?
Is it possible to sign up/login to the VPS via Tor?
Is the XS configuration (RAM 512 MB, bandwidth 0.5 TB) OK for your test masternode?
How is the support?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
My experience with time4vps so far (2 months) is very positive.
No they do not ask id/passport/driving license, if i remember it right.
VAT is calculated/payed with in your bill when you order vps.
I have no experience about Tor, but you can ask them, i use ssh + putty.
Yes, i have minimum system (0.5 GHz | 512 MB | 5 GB | 0.5 TB) and with that there are no problems so far.
Support, i have no experience about that, yet, its a good sign.

My experience with time4vps so far (2 months) is very positive.
No they do not ask id/passport/driving license, if i remember it right.
VAT is calculated/payed with in your bill when you order vps.
I have no experience about Tor, but you can ask them, i use ssh + putty.
Yes, i have minimum system (0.5 GHz | 512 MB | 5 GB | 0.5 TB) and with that there are no problems so far.
Support, i have no experience about that, yet, its a good sign.
Thanks!

If you fund the account with Bitcoin, is it possible to have an additional IP (vultr does not allow it) for another masternode?

Hello.
They have 50% of swap of kryginal RAM too.

I pay with paypal, so no info about that, check this: http://www.time4vps.eu/knowledgebase.php
It is not forbidden at least there.

I like how they "deal" against DDoS ( http://www.time4vps.eu/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=175 ):

A DDoS problem is a rare and very unpleasant issue. Unfortunately, Time4VPS does not offer any kind of DDoS protected VPS. For this reason, we have developed a protocol to handle this type of service abuse:
  • When a DDoS attack is received, an automated system will block all incoming traffic related to the targeted VPS.
  • Customers will receive abuse reports with information about the incidents.
  • If a customer presents a reasonable solution for this problem, the VPS is reactivated.
  • If we do not receive any response from a customer regarding a DDoS issue, or if there is no reasonable method to mitigate attack, we will be forced to close our business relationship with that customer.
This protocol is designed to provide top quality services while avoiding any network problems for other customers in our system.
In other words, if your masternode is DDoS'ed by someone, then the relationship with time4vps is over... Unless you present a "reasonable" solution. I wonder, how such a solution looks like in this case.

I would also like their privacy policy ( http://www.time4vps.eu/privacy-policy.php )

Time4VPS has created this privacy statement to demonstrate commitment to privacy. The following discloses the information gathering and dissemination practices.
1. General information
When a customer sign-up for our service, we will ask them to provide contact information such as full name, address (city, state/region, zip code), phone number, e-mail address, legal business data. If there is necessity to verify the customer's identity, we may ask for passport or other identity approval document.

According to the recommendations from www.privacytools.io/:

Our VPN Provider Criteria
  • Operating outside the USA or other Five Eyes countries. Avoid all US and UK based services.
  • OpenVPN software support.
  • File-Sharing (P2P) is tolerated on selected servers.
  • Accepts Bitcoin, cash, debit cards or cash cards as a payment method.
  • No personal information is required to create an account. Only username, password and Email.

So, asking for passport is red flag #1.

2. Automatically logged information
When a visitor visits our website, we will capture the visitor's IP Address, time and duration of visit, and time and the particular pages on our website that have been reviewed.
This is essentially what NSA is doing (harvesting meta data)... Red flag #2.

3. Use of personally identifiable information
Our site uses a secure order form for customers to request services. We will use personally identifiable information only as follows:
  • Contact information from the order forms is used to get in touch with the customer when necessary;
  • Billing information that is collected and used to bill the user for services;
  • Unique identifiers are collected from website visitors to verify the user's identity;
  • All collected information used for billing and service provisioning purposes, no other reason;
  • Third parties who perform services on our behalf (such as payment processing), subject to the third party agreeing with us that it will keep your personally identifiable information confidential.

Red flag #3.

Just to summarize it for the case of hosting masternodes.

If one day having anonymous crypto becomes illegal or suspicious (financing terrorism), then the company will be eager to communicate the following to an intelligence agency (such as NSA) and tax department:

- Person X is running N masternodes on our service
- Person X lives in country Y, logs in from this IP, spends Z hours per day on the service
- Person X has so much DASH which could be used for financing ISIS
- Please check that person X paid all the taxes

Edit: some typos

Last edited by a moderator:
Попробуйте SSD-VPS от Прохостера. Сам пользуюсь. Минимальный тариф от 1$. Пока что все устраивает.

You could use a service like bitwa.la to pay any VPS provider's bill from your BTC
Then, OVH has good VPS specs, reputable reliability (ressources, uptime), pratical manager (console) and excellent backed security (anti-DDOS). Datacenters are located either near Montreal or in several locations in France. Have used them for years without any failure or misadventure
Also you can pay OVH by "cash by post" in France and the UK, donno about the canadian entity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back