• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Vote based fee waiver

dashakti

With all the talk about reduced proposal fees and shared voting rights, I was thinking if we could merge both of these together to come up with a vote based fee waiver system. Here's how it might work:

1) Pre-proposals are submitted as usual.
2) The entire community votes on these pre-proposals.
3) The pre-proposals are ranked based on the total vote count.
4) The top 3 (or 5 proposals) gets a proposal fee waiver (or discounted proposal fee).

This is a win-win-win situation for everyone:

Dash Community: Since the pre-proposals are screened and voted by the entire dash community, the rankings will reflect more on what the community thinks will benefit its ecosystem. Also, everyone feels involved in the development of Dash.

Proposal owners: The proposal fee of 5 DASH is a lot of money and this is only going to get worse as DASH price goes up. If the proposals truly benefit the community, then these proposals will rise to the top of the rankings based on the community pre-proposal vote. The proposal owner doesnt have to worry about losing the 5 DASH because the best proposals will get a fee waiver. Again, the emphasis is on quality here. The "crappy" proposals still have to pay 5 DASH for wasting everyone's time.

Masternodes: Evan mentioned the need for someone to pre-screen the proposals. MN owners are busy people and they cant read through increasing number of proposals that are submitted every cycle. With pre-proposal voting, what we get is the entire DASH community pre-screening the pre-proposals and ranking them before the MNs need to review and vote on them. The MNs gets an idea on what the community thinks of each proposal.

Finally, the benefit of this system over just reducing the dash proposal fee for everyone, is that we dont get flooded with tons of proposals that have little to no value to DASH community. The quality based pre-screening and fee waiver ensures that only the best pre-proposals gets the fee waivers.

Last edited:
Why not collect tips for a popular proposal? This would be easier than the "fee waiver" and won't require changes in Core software.

Why not collect tips for a popular proposal?
Or crowdfunding as it also has been discussed many times. I think what's left to do is someone to putting up a proposal. However, given how uncertain the outcome might be, I'm not sure I personnaly am willing to.

In the end, I will support any proposal that would make the proposal cost trying to adapt to the many realities that exist out there for the good of the network

I think what's left to do is someone to putting up a proposal.

You don't need to put up a proposal to solicit support for a proposal in the form of contributions to pay the proposal fee.

For example, consider the following hypothetical proposal:

"I propose that the Dash logo be changed from blue to pink. If you support this proposal, make a contribution to this dash address: XdfFds... and when 5 dash is reached, I will submit the proposal. If 5 dash is not reached in 30 days I will refund the contributions."

There are all kinds of piecemeal proposals to fix various problems with the budget system...

I do not disagree with this suggestion. Much like I do not fully disagree with @demo's vote by numbers concept.

I disagree with wasting time, effort, and resources putting band-aids on something that needs a complete overhaul; and could have more easily been done right in the first place...

Why not collect tips for a popular proposal? This would be easier than the "fee waiver" and won't require changes in Core software.

Collecting tips or crowd sourcing works, but I think they are more of a "band-aid" fix than an actual solution. Also, tips are not guaranteed, but fee-waivers or discounts are (as long as they are good enough to make it to the top 3).

If I were a proposal owner, and I had a great pre-proposal but didn't have the resources for 5 DASH, then I can consider one of two options:

1) Ask for tips.... "If you support this proposal, please make a contribution to this dash address: XdfFds... and when 5 dash is reached, I will submit the proposal. "

The problem with this approach is that even if your proposal is great you have to depend on the generosity of others to even submit a proposal. The other factor is TIME. It could take weeks or months before you get enough tips to cover the proposal fee. In the mean time, the proposal owner gets frustrated and eventually gives up.

2) Compete with other pre-proposals for top 3 spots in rankings.

If I am truly confident that the community will appreciate the quality of my proposal, then this is the best option. There are no maybe's in this option. If you are in the top 3, you get a waiver, if not, then you have to pay the fee. Very straightforward. This also encourages healthy competition (much like any other funding mechanism out there).

"I propose that the Dash logo be changed from blue to pink. If you support this proposal, make a contribution to this dash address: XdfFds... and when 5 dash is reached, I will submit the proposal. If 5 dash is not reached in 30 days I will refund the contributions."

If I was talking about a proposal, it is because we would need some technical implementation so that we do not have to rely about trust. If the donator had the tecnical guarantee that the money he sends for supporting a proposal will actually be spend for making the proposal (and if not reach, would be sent back), then I see a solution like that succeed.

Back