• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

V12 Release

Wow a VPS got 6TB of traffic in 24h...

They charged me 150$

I think that I have a little problem about keeping my MNs up
There is indeed an anomaly in my instances as well. On all of my VPS, it shows a sudden spike in CPU, Disk I/O and Network in the last 24 hours but nothing blatantly alarming. The average bandwidth usage for this month stands at about ~11GB. I am running 0.12.53 and the MNs have been up for 2+weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is indeed an anomaly in my instances as well. On all of my VPS, it shows a sudden spike in CPU, Disk I/O and Network in the last 24 hours but nothing blatantly alarming. The average bandwidth usage for this month stands at about ~11GB. Not sure what caused the spike throughout the network. I am running 0.12.53 and the MNs have been up for 2+weeks.

Mine all show around 15 GB of data used so far this month. Everything looks normal. V.53

They charged me 150$

No way. 6 TERABYTES in ONE DAY has to be a typo.

If that statistic is even remotely accurate, you have something else wholly unrelated to dashd running that is sucking down a shocking amount of data. Try installing Nethogs (sudo apt-get install nethogs) and then running it (sudo nethogs) - this will let you see precisely how much data each process is consuming on your VPS instance.

The only other alternative is that you are being taken for a ride - they made a huge mistake in billing, or they are a dishonest VPS provider and are trying to grossly overcharge you.

For what it's worth, dashd data consumption on my node is a steady 12KB/s up and down - that should extrapolate out to just over 1GB up and down each day or 31GB per month per stream (31GB up + 31GB down = 62GB per month total). A figure like 6 Terabytes is preposterous.

...wasn't a Typo

Bandwidth Usage:7046.21 GB of 1000 GB (705%)

I restarted after a while but something is wrong again i think, I'll use your advice

Well nothing is wrong right now.

I wonder if my istance was somehow "attacked" by someone. It wasn't hacked, I can still use it and all my Dash are here.
Someone more expert might help? Can we check what happened?

They charged me 150$

6 000 000 000 000 bytes * 8 / 24 / 60 / 60 = 555 555 555,55 bit/sec i.e. your VPS should be able to handle 555,5 mbit/sec at constant rate. Is it even capable of doing so? Most cheap VPS out there are 100mbit/sec...

Well nothing is wrong right now.

I wonder if my istance was somehow "attacked" by someone. It wasn't hacked, I can still use it and all my Dash are here.
Someone more expert might help? Can we check what happened?
debug.log? [email protected] (could be truncated though since you already restarted daemon but maybe there is still some useful info left)

As an advice for the next time: use some monitoring service with configurable alerts - like newrelic for example.

Lol they suspended my VPS again, reactivated it in 5 mins, I have net hogs open and i have like 2-3 KBPs of traffic. The Vultr monitor shows 0.5 GB!
DEFINITEVELY something strange here, any good advice for a total noob is welcome

Lol they suspended my VPS again, reactivated it in 5 mins, I have net hogs open and i have like 2-3 KBPs of traffic. The Vultr monitor shows 0.5 GB!
DEFINITEVELY something strange here, any good advice for a total noob is welcome

Yeah, definitely something wrong alright... may be best you contact VULTR and have them remedy the situation.
I mean even for file sharing, 6 TB/day? That would one very noteworthy seedbox!

I am sending like 10 mails/hour, now they are "entering" root. net hogs shows different values, but I don't get what is going on

This is a copy of one of the lines they sent me

18:53:22.554771 IP (xxxx canceled, you never know).3771 > 59.36.97.225.80: Flags , seq 247150192:247151088, win 65535, length 896

Ya, something fishy is going on. I'd personally ax the whole thing and walk away. I have no ties to this guy, buy I've heard a lot of good things about masternodecloud.com lately - I believe the owner is doing his part to support the community (especially testnet?) and it's super cheap ($4/mo?).

Always me :)

I had to cancel 2 Instances, that were probably brute forced
I restarted 2 more instances, and I have (another) strange problem

One is running, one with 2 nodes in it keeps giving a strange mistake "code 28, Message: Loading wallet". One node works, one with this mistake

Ofc all my instances have the very same configuration (barring IP ofc) and they were running with 2 nodes each.
I deleted the file with winscp, I even created a new user... I keep getting this. The first time it starts, gets to some 10Ks blocks and then this.

Any suggestion?

Back