• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Use onion addresses for masternodes instead of IPV4?

R

RGXDK

Disclaimer: I'm not a technical person.

Would it be nice if we had onion addresses for the masternodes instead of IPV4? I imagine it wouldn't be hard to identify a masternode owner since they're hosted in well known VPNs (Amazon, DigitalOcean etc), and as far as my understanding goes .onion addresses are hard to identify.

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but I saw this page from pivx and I thought we could have that in Dash too. https://pivx.bitcoiner.me/masternodes/list/

Thanks

This is an interesting idea, I don't know much about how onion routing works but I don't like that all the masternode ip addresses are just available to anyone.

Yes, if the IP address is known one could subpoena the VPN provider for the owner's details. Whether or not one could come up with a valid reason for doing this is another story, but if all IP addresses are not identifiable then future problem solved. Again I'm not a technical person and there could be flaws in my logic or specific reason to make the IP address not in onion format.

There is a segment on the wiki talking about DASH on Tor. You might still have an ip address but will be relayed.

Back