• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Use cases for PrivacyProtect (ex-DarkSend)

InTheWoods

Foundation Member
"....That includes anyone from a medical startup trying to comply with healthcare privacy laws to a businesswoman in Afghanistan dodging corrupt cops and tyrannical male family members. “Privacy makes whole societies safer, stronger and more prosperous,” says Wilcox. “Ubiquitous privacy helps prevent corruption and abuse and oppression."

- excerpt from a recent article discussing a rival crypto project.

The above are some pretty interesting use cases we can promote ourselves.

"....That includes anyone from a medical startup trying to comply with healthcare privacy laws to a businesswoman in Afghanistan dodging corrupt cops and tyrannical male family members. “Privacy makes whole societies safer, stronger and more prosperous,” says Wilcox. “Ubiquitous privacy helps prevent corruption and abuse and oppression."

- excerpt from a recent article discussing a rival crypto project.

The above are some pretty interesting use cases we can promote ourselves.

Sadly, we can't just pitch ideas all day, we need real life concepts like the Soda Machine to be developed sooner than later to show everyone the value of Dash.

TheDashGuy

I was talking about the privacy aspect. Winning hearts and minds when it comes to privacy is pretty important, especially since it's such a delicate subject.

InstantX is a good feature that its merits but I was talking about PrivacyProtect.

We can show people the value of Dash in different ways. One of them would be making people understand the value proposition behind PrivacyProtect.

TheDashGuy

I was talking about the privacy aspect. Winning hearts and minds when it comes to privacy is pretty important, especially since it's such a delicate subject.

InstantX is a good feature that its merits but I was talking about PrivacyProtect.

We can show people the value of Dash in different ways. One of them would be making people understand the value proposition behind PrivacyProtect.

Exactly, you are correct so why don't we figure out a simple way to proof this?

Like, maybe a graphical video with a thorough explanation of why privacy is important and why Dash cares about privacy? Something under 2 minutes?

alex-ru ?

I like this! Too many people are saying "I don't need privacy. I have nothing to hide." It's not about hiding...having some use cases/scenarios to hit back with is a great idea.

I like this! Too many people are saying "I don't need privacy. I have nothing to hide." It's not about hiding...having some use cases/scenarios to hit back with is a great idea.

“When we’re in a state where we can be monitored and watched, our behavior changes dramatically."

Is key for me. Anyone can get behind not wanting everyone to judge them whenever they please.

Also a few more quotes that hit home:

"Mass surveillance creates a prison in the mind. This mindset, this framework… was the key means of society control for modern western society. It was much more subtle, much more effective than brute force could ever be."

“The ultimate test of a society’s freedom is not how it treats its good, obedient, compliant citizens; it’s how it treats its dissidents.”

The nothing to hide argument https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_to_hide_argument

"Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say"

The nothing to hide argument https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_to_hide_argument

"Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say"

Yea but we should find new quotes that people don't hear everyday otherwise it goes right over their heads. I feel like half the issue is noone really cares becaue everyone just throws the same old reasoning at them in one-liners. We need to write a story about why privacy matters, people like stories! (Just a comment, not a real suggestion.)

Yea but we should find new quotes that people don't hear everyday otherwise it goes right over their heads. I feel like half the issue is noone really cares becaue everyone just throws the same old reasoning at them in one-liners. We need to write a story about why privacy matters, people like stories! (Just a comment, not a real suggestion.)

Money is free speech argument is interesting. Let me know if you can find more compelling videos on this topic.

I agree. I love that quote, but it's too idealistic for most people to grasp. What people process well is actual use cases. Right now most who are uneducated about crypto think that it's only useful for buying drugs. If we can show them scenarios where privacy is vital, then we've nailed it.

I agree. I love that quote, but it's too idealistic for most people to grasp. What people process well is actual use cases. Right now most who are uneducated about crypto think that it's only useful for buying drugs. If we can show them scenarios where privacy is vital, then we've nailed it.

Yes, idealism will only go so far. It won't matter much to opportunists and your average Joe, that's true. There is, though, a very strong vocal niche that should not be ignored. NGOs and the like which you do wanna tap into if possible.

I get what you're saying and it's probably a good idea to make two types of videos addressing privacy. A passionate activist idealistic video and 2nd one aimed at the day to day practicality of privacy, like preventing your wife/husband checking your bank statement and seeing how much you've spent at some thai massage parlor or male strippers - that sorta thing.

i think i'm gonna shorten it for myself to PrivacyX

Darksend + IX = DarkX
Privacy Protect + IX = PrivacyX
:wink:

Good thread , good to have it in writing as we takes about this many times
as far as I know idea is to change that in 12.1 to leave the 'Dark' finally behind us .
PrivacySend
PrivacyProtect
.... ?

Greenwald and all is great , I am a huge fan and here because of privacy , but I really learned my lesson over the year (talking to friends , colleagues , crypto people or even on the conferences) that there is a thin line in privacy and most people just assosiate Privacy with TOR / drugs / dark markets ..
it really amazes me and buffles me at the same time.
privacy in finances 100% YES , but we have to be sensitive / carful/ very specific in pointing out the real issues !

tungfa

If we're talking about your average guy who only cares about his immediate needs, something like this could work. Dash could partner up with social networking sites like Ashley Madison with and/or provide for the privacy needs of these sort of people. Guess we could tackle this angle as well.

Ashley_Madison_logo.jpg

Back