• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Trusted Masternodes

crowning

If some institution (NSA, Governments, Google, you name it) creates a LOT of Masternodes (say 500 - 1000 MNs) the chances of mixing ALL rounds on their Masternodes increases up to a point where I wouldn't feel comfortable any more.

There's at least ONE trusted Masternode needed which is NOT in their hands, preferably one of my own Masternodes.

So, what about the possibility to enter one (or more) Masternodes as preference which MUST be used somewhere in the mixing process?

If you can nominate a trusted masternode then hasn't the system failed? Shouldn't masternodes remain for the large part, invisible?

AFAIK this was possible during testnet via command line (to force using a specific masternode). But I don't remember the parameter (search in testing RC4).

AFAIK this was possible during testnet via command line (to force using a specific masternode). But I don't remember the parameter (search in testing RC4).

It was added on testnet in version 0.x.12.4, see - usemasternode:

0.9.12.4 / 10.12.4 Release notes
--------------------------------

This is a pretty large update to the RC client.

- New column "Darksend Rounds" in coincontrol to show how secure a given input is
- Fixed a few issues causing darksend to fail. We should see many more darksends
occuring now if it's fixed.
- Redid denominations to 1, 10, 100, and 500. Maybe this is too simple, but it
seems effective, all change from transactions will de denominated automatically
again through darksend for the next transactions. We'll see how it works.
- usemasternode option, will override active masternode (only in RC, just for testing)

But was only meant in RC for testing purposes.

Do you realize how unlikely that number would be and what affect it would have on the price given the small supply?

Isn't the Masternode system designed with encrypting every traffic that goes through, and logging none of it? I remember chaeplin said something to the effect that "the Masternode holds nothing".. I can't find the link where he wrote that, but it's something that if i'm not mistaken, the MNs and their owners do not know the senders or receivers of transactions, all they do is mixing the coins?

Edit: I found the link where chaeplin said "the Masternode holds nothing":
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/development-updates-july-15th.1788/page-2#post-12133

What does it mean? Doesn't it mean the Masternode is pretty secure regardless of how many MNs one person/entity holds? Isn't it something that Evan already had in mind and put into consideration when he designed it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't the Masternode system designed with encrypting every traffic that goes through, and logging none of it? I remember chaeplin said something to the effect that "the Masternode holds nothing".. I can't find the link where he wrote that, but it's something that if i'm not mistaken, the MNs and their owners do not know the senders or receivers of transactions, all they do is mixing the coins?

Edit: I found the link where chaeplin said "the Masternode holds nothing":
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/development-updates-july-15th.1788/page-2#post-12133

What does it mean? Doesn't it mean the Masternode is pretty secure regardless of how many MNs one person/entity holds? Isn't it something that Evan already had in mind and put into consideration when he designed it?

For normal way of working, you are right (nothing is kept on the MN about its job, maybe some logging but that's debug).
As the node traffic is not encrypted (afaik this was foreseen during the announce but the idea was dropped later on and is not appearing in the future features anymore) I can see two ways to get and store the data:
- TCP packet sniffer, you just sniff everything and try to decode it and as Evan pointed out the whole Masternode code is open sourced for month (so should be relatively easy)
- Once fully opensourced you can just easy add extensive logging to what you do as a masternode.
Someone with bad intentions will not just stop at using the binary provided.

But I think what Chaeplin meant was that a masternode was not storing the coins (the one they mix) at anytime.

For normal way of working, you are right (nothing is kept on the MN about its job, maybe some logging but that's debug).
As the node traffic is not encrypted (afaik this was foreseen during the announce but the idea was dropped later on and is not appearing in the future features anymore) I can see two ways to get and store the data:
- TCP packet sniffer, you just sniff everything and try to decode it and as Evan pointed out the whole Masternode code is open sourced for month (so should be relatively easy)
- Once fully opensourced you can just easy add extensive logging to what you do as a masternode.
Someone with bad intentions will not just stop at using the binary provided.

But I think what Chaeplin meant was that a masternode was not storing the coins (the one they mix) at anytime.

Oh.... Thanks, elbereth, for this info, really appreciate it.

Back