• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

The Rolling Thread :) (go to end for newest posts)

So am I reading you correct when I say... biased as we may be... that Dash is the only viable option? :tongue:

There are not many at all, most are thrown in to distract people away from the honest ones that don't have state department ex employees working for them or mega funding. It would be so sad to see, if the masses throw all their hard earned savings into something like ripple which can close accounts on a whim and you have even less rights to your funds than a bank.

I don't understand why people are angry with Bitfinex. Just because they kept the DRK initials? They have a 3 initial system, and can't accommodate DASH, we haven't given them an alternative. DSH is the old initials for the old dashcoin, and I believe it still is. In the mean time, Bitfinex is one of the biggest, if not the biggest DASH to USD/Fiat exchange around. Plus they allow for all the trading services traders love so well.

I agree, Sub-Ether, and isn't one of the biggest banks planning on using Bitcoin as their exchange platform now? I worry about that as well.

I don't understand why people are angry with Bitfinex. Just because they kept the DRK initials? They have a 3 initial system, and can't accommodate DASH, we haven't given them an alternative. DSH is the old initials for the old dashcoin, and I believe it still is. In the mean time, Bitfinex is one of the biggest, if not the biggest DASH to USD/Fiat exchange around. Plus they allow for all the trading services traders love so well.

I agree, Sub-Ether, and isn't one of the biggest banks planning on using Bitcoin as their exchange platform now? I worry about that as well.

Bitcoin had more than one ticker early on I heard so whats the problem, they are fine by me.
Yer, it is worrying with the banks, I think bitcoin has already been taken over, wonder what Satoshi would think of it all, what a genre out of the bottle he has created eh.

I think it's worth moving to a 3 letter ISO 4217 compliant ticker regardless of our Bitfinex woes, as we're ultimately digital cash. Since DASH is a supranatural currency with no national affiliation, it will need to start with X, similar to Bitcoin's XBT. What would fit best for DASH? XDA, XDS, XDH, or something else?

I think it's worth moving to a 3 letter ISO 4217 compliant ticker regardless of our Bitfinex woes, as we're ultimately digital cash. Since DASH is a supranatural currency with no national affiliation, it will need to start with X, similar to Bitcoin's XBT. What would fit best for DASH? XDA, XDS, XDH, or something else?
XDC would be the best but it already exists as a cryptocurrency... http://xedoscoin.com/

X Digital Cash .... but XDC can`t be.... XDD cool imo :)

Ah, need that one, as I constantly LOL, like an old person, Hee hee hee. XDD

How about XTS? (X Tanta Stefana)?

In all seriousness, any of those would be fine, and maybe we should ask the development team to choose one before they're all taken :)

Forget fancy ASIC's, I suggest we go back to basics mining with bits of paper and a pencil.
At a stunning 16 minutes per manual hash for SHA256 and 100 terra hashes = 1 btc per 24 hours

1 bitcoin = 16 minutes * 8.64 * (10 ^ 18)
1 bitcoin = 1.38 * (10 ^ 20) minutes = 2.63 * (10 ^ 14) years = 263000000000000 years
length of historical universe = 12 billion years

so 21917 entire universe existences per 1 bitcoin,
and 0.000046 bitcoins per 1 universe time since the big bang.

The length of the universe is about 12 billion old, so if you started just after the big bang, you would mine only out 46 micro bitcoins since time began (at current difficulty and not allowing for coffee breaks)
Wonder how long an X11 hash would take then ?

http://gizmodo.com/mining-bitcoin-with-pencil-and-paper-1640353309

Last edited by a moderator:
Forget fancy ASIC's, I suggest we go back to basics mining with bits of paper and a pencil.
At a stunning 16 minutes per manual hash for SHA256 and 100 terra hashes = 1 btc per 24 hours

1 bitcoin = 1.38 * (10 ^ 20) minutes = 2.63 * (10 ^ 14) years =

The length of the universe is about 12 billion old, so if you started just after the big bang, you would mine oabnly out 46 micro bitcoins since time began (at current difficulty and not allowing for coffee breaks)

WOW, I didn't know hex was a numbering system! That was really weird! Also very amazing :)

WOW, I didn't know hex was a numbering system! That was really weird! Also very amazing :)

I'm glad you quoted me after I corrected it, because I forgot to multiply 100 terra hashes per second into a 24hr day, and I initially calculated 4 bitcoins per universe time span, but that was way out ,lol.

I think any hashing system is designed so that any change(even 1 bit) always results in a different result, the important thing is also its a one way function that is NOT reversible but is repeatable every single time exactly.

XDC ?? what's the C stand for?

ISO is extremely relevant, but not mandatory. But relevant enough to seriously consider it.
Are the other one's taken? Is there any sort of registrar to make it official?

How about XDD ? (Xcoin, Darkcoin, Dash) :cool:
I like XDD too!

1 bitcoin = 1.38 * (10 ^ 20) minutes = 2.63 * (10 ^ 14) years = 263000000000000 years

The length of the universe is about 12 billion old, so if you started just after the big bang, you would mine only out 46 micro bitcoins since time began (at current difficulty and not allowing for coffee breaks)

what the hell?!? good god man....

Is there any place these 3-digit codes exist other than exchanges? Like a public registry or something? It seems to me that the representation of any coin is entirely the exchange's prerogative. They simply need to portray each coin in the way they think makes them the most money, without being dishonest and losing customers. If they used the abbreviation BTC to represent Dash, customers might think they're buying really cheap bitcoins, and thus it would be dishonest and the exchange would lose all its credibility very fast. But as long as customers understand they are buying Dash when they see DSH, then there is no problem. XDC works fine too. There is only a problem when the exchange also offers trading pairs of those small-cap "name squatter" type currencies, and it is up to the exchange to figure that out. The foundation could give guidance and suggestions as to what abbreviation(s) to use, but the exchange can still do whatever it wants...

Additionally, the type of exchanges that might also have tiny market cap "XDC" and "DSH" in addition to "DASH," are not the type of exchanges that will be trading large volumes of Dash in the future when it reaches the 1 billion market cap point and higher.

Is there any place these 3-digit codes exist other than exchanges? Like a public registry or something? It seems to me that the representation of any coin is entirely the exchange's prerogative. They simply need to portray each coin in the way they think makes them the most money, without being dishonest and losing customers. If they used the abbreviation BTC to represent Dash, customers might think they're buying really cheap bitcoins, and thus it would be dishonest and the exchange would lose all its credibility very fast. But as long as customers understand they are buying Dash when they see DSH, then there is no problem. XDC works fine too. There is only a problem when the exchange also offers trading pairs of those small-cap "name squatter" type currencies, and it is up to the exchange to figure that out. The foundation could give guidance and suggestions as to what abbreviation(s) to use, but the exchange can still do whatever it wants...

Additionally, the type of exchanges that might also have tiny market cap "XDC" and "DSH" in addition to "DASH," are not the type of exchanges that will be trading large volumes of Dash in the future when it reaches the 1 billion market cap point and higher.

The last news announcement on http://xedoscoin.com/news/ was on February 24, 2014.
If you want to see XDC on China exchange (and when we’re there, we’re basically everywhere shortly afterwards), you can donate XDC to the address that we’re using for funding this bounty — WuTBak33RrnV4Td8Mobz6MkAqDbqtLvUCd.

I don't know if it's now on any exchanges, but if the announcements page is anything to go by, not a whole lot has been happening in the 15 months.

I think XDC is a better option than DSH, if you're looking for ISO standardization - there's no point changing now to something that will most likely have to be changed in the future again. It might go some way to keeping the DashCoin guys off our backs as well, or they will begin to think they are the focus of a targeted attack. This is assuming XDC is not taken in the real world, outside of crypto.

Back