• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

The Rolling Thread :) (go to end for newest posts)

TanteStefana - what a brilliant idea for a thread!

Look what I just found guys and gals...

Q2LOwpk.png

Purism Librem 15 Laptop
July 14, 2014
The first high-end laptop designed specifically with security, privacy, and freedom as the default for all users. There is absolutely no mystery code running in the kernel, the operating system, or any software applications whatsoever. Running PureOS, Purism’s own operating system, built with the most secure software, the best privacy protection installed by default, all while respecting your freedoms. The design is thin, clean, and durable, with many standardized ports. This case is brushed metal, inside we have a 1920×1080 resolution display, 720p webcam, CD/DVD, one (1) HDMI port, three (3) USB 3.0 ports, one (1) headphone jack, one (1) SDXC card slot, and one (1) RJ45 pop-down network jack. View the full size image.

Purism follows a strict belief in your rights to privacy, security, and freedom. We developed Purism so that users can have access to the highest quality computers without compromising these beliefs. The founder of Purism developed the Philosophical Contract, that we all abide by, which was adopted from the Free Software Foundation, and expanded to include hardware manufacturing as it relates to software.

https://www.crowdsupply.com/purism/librem-15
https://puri.sm/

This is the first time ever that I have known Jim Willie talk about cryptocurrencies, he is usually only talks geopolitics, banks and trading,

https://beyondbitcoin.org/bonus-hangout-with-jim-willie-from-goldenjackass-com/

gets to the questions at 19 minutes, bare with him, its gets really good.

Edit: Wow, discusses the cartel behind the Kennady assassination, George Bush senior was the landlord of Jack Ruby!!

Edit2: gold backed cryptocurrencies are mentioned and so is ripple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was listening to an old Art Bell show today. He was recalling the following :-

The seriousness of the coming situation is enough to make a president cry. Recently a news-wire item was reported on the Art Bell radio show, that former President Jimmy Carter had been at a book signing for his new book. He was asked by a customer waiting in line, why had he not followed through on his pledge that, if elected, he would reveal the entire truth about UFOs to the American people. Carter did not answer in words, he just looked at the man and tears sprang from his eyes. Any doubt in my mind about whether there was really an alien problem vanished when I heard this. For me, things will never be the same. I now carry a fear in my heart and mind for the whole human race. Every day the public is uninformed about the aliens, is one more day of preparation lost. It’s time to do your part. This is a group effort. Apathy is suicide for everyone.

yep, passwords are encrypted but hackers can use brute force to get the plain password.
The time to get the password using brute force depends on the algorithm used to encrypt the password, the password length, the chars included in the password and the power of the system used to crack.

For example, to brute force a salted password with 6 letters it would take 42 seconds but if you include numbers, it would take almost 5 minutes.
If you increase the password length to 10, it would take 15 years 236 days 9 hours 36 minutes 50 seconds.

source:
http://calc.opensecurityresearch.com/
Keys per second use in the example : Salted SHA

About:
This Brute Force Calculator determines the amount of time it would take to exhaust the keyspace of a particular password given the complexity of the password and the number of keys per second that can be cracked. The keys per second depends on power of the system cracking the password and the algorithm the password is encrypted with. It should be noted that this calculator does not speak to the to the choices users make when choosing passwords. Additionally, for certain algorithms, there are well known methods (e.g. rainbow tables) which greatly reduce the amount of time it takes to exhaust a keyspace. Before relying on these results, its recommended that you attempt to identify if speeder methods exist for the algorithm your targeting. freerainbowtables.com is a good start.

For convienence, a list of popular algorithms along with the number of keys per second has been provided. This list was generated on an 3.4GHz Intel Core i7-2600K, using benchmarks from john the ripper and aircrack-ng (for WPA-PSK). Since computation times varies across systems, the "custom" option is available to allow more realistic results applicable to your environment and the current state of cracking.

I must admit, I did use a stupid password the first time. I didn't think my account was important, turned out it was important to me, LOL.

I have no clue, but with such bold statements, I'm sure it's at the very least verifiable by those who know how

Sigh, I wish I could ensure my old computer were as safe :( Maybe it is? It was bought in 2007, do you think that was before the guv started putting spyware in our computers? LOL

Thing is, I use Ubuntu, could use a more secure distribution of linux, but then you lose the fun-ctionality. I like gaming, etc... and don't want a command line box, LOL

Sigh, I wish I could ensure my old computer were as safe :( Maybe it is? It was bought in 2007, do you think that was before the guv started putting spyware in our computers? LOL

Thing is, I use Ubuntu, could use a more secure distribution of linux, but then you lose the fun-ctionality. I like gaming, etc... and don't want a command line box, LOL

One solution is to compartmentalise. Have one computer for daily crap and another more secure one for more important stuff. Hell you can run Linux off a USB if you want, then have anther encrypted USB with your files .

As why we aren't being pumped is that day traders thrive on news and there's been none for quite a while. Secondly the move to dash is still ongoing unfortunately and people hate uncertainty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very true with compartmentalizing. I should use my one box more often for sensitive things, only my monitor died and remoting is so dang slow, I get frustrated :p

I think we will soon have a friendly small video out soon, but we have a ton of outreach to do the next few months/years. I've been feeling guilty that I haven't been "out there". I have identified a few local groups that I might join and present to, as soon as school is out and I have a little more time :p

That is VERY cool, but is it open sourced? How can it be trusted?

Intel CPU = cannot be trusted. There are still firmware and BIOS elements that are closed source.

It looks to me more of a software gimmick factor than anything else. There are already several trustworthy open source operating systems you can use with a fairly high degree of confidence on "high-end" (backdoored intel multicore CPU) laptops. What these OS do is basically use virtualization to separate the hardware control functions from the software you interface with. That way, the keyboard, mouse video, network card, etc are not on the same machine as the one that you are surfing the internet with. It takes a bit of getting used to, separating your work into different virtual computers (Examples: banking VM, general web browsing VM, offline work VM for word processing and spreadsheets, social networking VM, and of course one-time-use disposable VM for trying new software), but as Sapereaude said once you start learning to compartmentalize your computing, you will be much better off.

As why we aren't being pumped is that day traders thrive on news and there's been none for quite a while. Secondly the move to dash is still ongoing unfortunately and people hate uncertainty.

Well Cryptsy shows a recent 60BTC purchase without the price moving an inch. Could have been a pre-pump testing of the waters... Since such a large buy was completely sold into, maybe the would-be pumper got discouraged and moved his elevator elsewhere?
Most likely it was a real investor (not pump-n-dumper) making that purchase, though.

Wow, I learned something today (again!) I think I'll go back to trying out a vps setup on my linux box. I also need to learn how to use tor until something better comes along ;P. Not that I have anything to hide, but just for the principle of it :) fortunately, school is almost out, so I'll be able to spend more time on this fun stuff :D

Intel CPU = cannot be trusted. There are still firmware and BIOS elements that are closed source.

My link on Jim Willie briefly discusses intel CPU's and says all of them have back doors, he also that anything that the banks are involved will be corrupted and mentions ripple (as a warning) near the end.
Also that a type of gold backed cryptocurrency is on the cards.

My link on Jim Willie briefly discusses intel CPU's and says all of them have back doors, he also that anything that the banks are involved will be corrupted and mentions ripple (as a warning) near the end.
Also that a type of gold backed cryptocurrency is on the cards.

So am I reading you correct when I say... biased as we may be... that Dash is the only viable option? :tongue:

Guys, lasy question. Since we boycot Bitfinex which exchange you reccomend to use for UK based user? I really dont want to use Craptsy, is there anything else good?

There is no safe exchange out there. It's sad but true. I've got some drk on finex but seriously we need something better. Like poloniex is a monero kingdom - we need our own decentralised one.

Back