The Rolling Thread :) (go to end for newest posts)

Sub-Ether

Mar 31, 2014
Forget fancy ASIC's, I suggest we go back to basics mining with bits of paper and a pencil.
At a stunning 16 minutes per manual hash for SHA256 and 100 terra hashes = 1 btc per 24 hours

1 bitcoin = 16 minutes * 8.64 * (10 ^ 18)
1 bitcoin = 1.38 * (10 ^ 20) minutes = 2.63 * (10 ^ 14) years = 263000000000000 years
length of historical universe = 12 billion years

so 21917 entire universe existences per 1 bitcoin,
and 0.000046 bitcoins per 1 universe time since the big bang.

The length of the universe is about 12 billion old, so if you started just after the big bang, you would mine only out 46 micro bitcoins since time began (at current difficulty and not allowing for coffee breaks)
Wonder how long an X11 hash would take then ?

http://gizmodo.com/mining-bitcoin-with-pencil-and-paper-1640353309

Last edited by a moderator:

TanteStefana

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
Forget fancy ASIC's, I suggest we go back to basics mining with bits of paper and a pencil.
At a stunning 16 minutes per manual hash for SHA256 and 100 terra hashes = 1 btc per 24 hours

1 bitcoin = 1.38 * (10 ^ 20) minutes = 2.63 * (10 ^ 14) years =

The length of the universe is about 12 billion old, so if you started just after the big bang, you would mine oabnly out 46 micro bitcoins since time began (at current difficulty and not allowing for coffee breaks)

WOW, I didn't know hex was a numbering system! That was really weird! Also very amazing :)

Sub-Ether

Mar 31, 2014
WOW, I didn't know hex was a numbering system! That was really weird! Also very amazing :)
I'm glad you quoted me after I corrected it, because I forgot to multiply 100 terra hashes per second into a 24hr day, and I initially calculated 4 bitcoins per universe time span, but that was way out ,lol.

I think any hashing system is designed so that any change(even 1 bit) always results in a different result, the important thing is also its a one way function that is NOT reversible but is repeatable every single time exactly.

bigrcanada

Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
Penticton, BC
www.misconductwineco.com

1 bitcoin = 1.38 * (10 ^ 20) minutes = 2.63 * (10 ^ 14) years = 263000000000000 years

The length of the universe is about 12 billion old, so if you started just after the big bang, you would mine only out 46 micro bitcoins since time began (at current difficulty and not allowing for coffee breaks)

what the hell?!? good god man....

Bridgewater

Foundation Member
Dec 14, 2014
Is there any place these 3-digit codes exist other than exchanges? Like a public registry or something? It seems to me that the representation of any coin is entirely the exchange's prerogative. They simply need to portray each coin in the way they think makes them the most money, without being dishonest and losing customers. If they used the abbreviation BTC to represent Dash, customers might think they're buying really cheap bitcoins, and thus it would be dishonest and the exchange would lose all its credibility very fast. But as long as customers understand they are buying Dash when they see DSH, then there is no problem. XDC works fine too. There is only a problem when the exchange also offers trading pairs of those small-cap "name squatter" type currencies, and it is up to the exchange to figure that out. The foundation could give guidance and suggestions as to what abbreviation(s) to use, but the exchange can still do whatever it wants...

Additionally, the type of exchanges that might also have tiny market cap "XDC" and "DSH" in addition to "DASH," are not the type of exchanges that will be trading large volumes of Dash in the future when it reaches the 1 billion market cap point and higher.

patrolman

Mar 9, 2014
www.dash.pics
Is there any place these 3-digit codes exist other than exchanges? Like a public registry or something? It seems to me that the representation of any coin is entirely the exchange's prerogative. They simply need to portray each coin in the way they think makes them the most money, without being dishonest and losing customers. If they used the abbreviation BTC to represent Dash, customers might think they're buying really cheap bitcoins, and thus it would be dishonest and the exchange would lose all its credibility very fast. But as long as customers understand they are buying Dash when they see DSH, then there is no problem. XDC works fine too. There is only a problem when the exchange also offers trading pairs of those small-cap "name squatter" type currencies, and it is up to the exchange to figure that out. The foundation could give guidance and suggestions as to what abbreviation(s) to use, but the exchange can still do whatever it wants...

Additionally, the type of exchanges that might also have tiny market cap "XDC" and "DSH" in addition to "DASH," are not the type of exchanges that will be trading large volumes of Dash in the future when it reaches the 1 billion market cap point and higher.
The last news announcement on http://xedoscoin.com/news/ was on February 24, 2014.
If you want to see XDC on China exchange (and when we’re there, we’re basically everywhere shortly afterwards), you can donate XDC to the address that we’re using for funding this bounty — WuTBak33RrnV4Td8Mobz6MkAqDbqtLvUCd.
I don't know if it's now on any exchanges, but if the announcements page is anything to go by, not a whole lot has been happening in the 15 months.

I think XDC is a better option than DSH, if you're looking for ISO standardization - there's no point changing now to something that will most likely have to be changed in the future again. It might go some way to keeping the DashCoin guys off our backs as well, or they will begin to think they are the focus of a targeted attack. This is assuming XDC is not taken in the real world, outside of crypto.

patrolman

Mar 9, 2014
www.dash.pics
XDC ?? what's the C stand for?

ISO is extremely relevant, but not mandatory. But relevant enough to seriously consider it.
Are the other one's taken? Is there any sort of registrar to make it official?

How about XDD ? (Xcoin, Darkcoin, Dash) :cool:
I thought the idea was with rebranding was disassociation from the Darkcoin name. Referencing Darkcoin in the ticker name is counterproductive in my opinion.

The C in XDC could stand for "Cryptocurrency".

Reactions: Blend43

Bridgewater

Foundation Member
Dec 14, 2014
I thought the idea was with rebranding was disassociation from the Darkcoin name. Referencing Darkcoin in the ticker name is counterproductive in my opinion.

Well we also chose the name Dash partly to distance ourselves from the whole "-coin" naming convention, thereby avoiding an eternal "second-fiddle" perception. Leaving a C there still invites some misunderstanding. We should be clear and consistent in order to make the name stand on its own as a true alternative to "Bitcoin," .
How about XDA? Reads like "X-Dash," just abbreviated to "X-Da."

Reactions: Blend43 and Dunedoo

Dunedoo

Foundation Member
Feb 25, 2015
Sydney Australia
Dash Address
XyoSz4xviVGfks1pLhaXw2Baqmhfw5k7MG
Well we also chose the name Dash partly to distance ourselves from the whole "-coin" naming convention, thereby avoiding an eternal "second-fiddle" perception. Leaving a C there still invites some misunderstanding. We should be clear and consistent in order to make the name stand on its own as a true alternative to "Bitcoin," .
XDA are masculine sounding letters. Confident and straight to the point.

patrolman

Mar 9, 2014
www.dash.pics
I see what you mean. I can't see a problem with XDA

yidakee

Foundation Member
Apr 16, 2014
I liked XDH the best, but after seeing that explanation of XDD, that's perfect!

XDA are masculine sounding letters. Confident and straight to the point.
I see what you mean. I can't see a problem with XDA
Guys, feels free to drop your suggestions over here -> https://dashtalk.org/threads/dash-ticker-standardization-iso-4217-2008.4997

When we have a few options we can open a poll. Just remember that if we go through with this, we'll have to comply with standards. Bitcoin for instance is XBT on some exchanges, but apparently they'll might have to "rebrand" because it clashes with the norm, since BT refers to Bhutan.

TanteStefana

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
The development team has been quiet for quite some time now. Although we can see commits on github, I think an update on how things are going would be nice. Maybe an eta on when testing might start again (I can understand if that's not possible) but at least what is in the works for the next round of testing would be nice to give us all something to talk about ;P

crowning

May 29, 2014
Alpha Centauri Bc
The development team has been quiet for quite some time now. Although we can see commits on github, I think an update on how things are going would be nice. Maybe an eta on when testing might start again (I can understand if that's not possible) but at least what is in the works for the next round of testing would be nice to give us all something to talk about ;P
I can't give an ETA for testing because I don't know, but history showed that whenever Evan is unusual quiet for several consecutive days he's walking knee-deep in blockchain-code (both directions uphill) and comes up with something amazing.

Since commits on Github are kinda boring to look at I can give you some visuals of the more trivial parts of development.

Comes for (almost) free with Bitcoin v0.10.x code-base:
Wallet1.jpg

Comes from yours truly (also free):
Wallet2.jpg

(yes, the typo is fixed already)

TanteStefana

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
That's so cool Crowning! You're really helping to make it very usable to non techies :D Very important!

yidakee

Foundation Member
Apr 16, 2014
I'm actually at wife 3.6
Wife 1 crashed at 1.9
Wife 2 hacked at 2.5
Wife 3 has a bug.
I'm looking to see if there are any updates for this model
Damn, that is really unlucky! Are you absolutely sure there is no kernel conflict somewhere? :tongue:

Sub-Ether

Mar 31, 2014
Miss Jim Willie at your peril :cool:
(covers everything, even talks about Hillary at 1hr 16 minutes, Jim's ex stayed at the same dorm at her college, HC was known for being slutty with other women, apparently the college is 70% lesbian)

Reactions: Dunedoo and Blend43

TanteStefana

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
Very cute Yidakee! Luckily my husband 1.0 and of course his wife 1.0 are equally faulty and don't function well enough, even to go back to engagement 1.0 due to the fear of loss of child1.jpg, child2.jpg and child3.jpg. We're afraid of losing the picture files as well as other files, so we simply chug along with this old OS. LOL