• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

The future of MasterNodes

Me thinks a bunch of MNOs are going to sell up because they got accustomed to easy money and little work.. oh wait, blaming it on centralization.. which is fine by me, it will give me more revenue. The fact is, those VPNs we rent out are still on hardware that sometimes fail. What? - we just want to be lazy and let failed hardware be someone elses problem? How about that dash is weak while it uses shared VPNs; susceptible to eavesdropping and hacking? Ah yes, so long as our 1000 dash are safe on hardware wallets, who cares about the rest. Double standards.

We need to stop fighting this and step up. Evan has come up with a solid roadmap that delivers on-chain near-realtime PoW transactions. Who else is doing that? Bitcoin certainly isn't doing that. Looks like bitcoin will keep spawning forks / alts as it fudges it's scaling, one piece at a time.

If you care about cables leading to datacenters...
and if you care about anonymity / privacy...
if you want to live in the shadow economy...
if you don't care about speed and security, then go support zcash, iota, byteball.

Or revert to bitcoin with it's Lightning Network and mimblewimble.

Or buy a bunch of nem and sit back to get some dpos income. Nem isn't slow.

But if you want to belong to an organization that is building it's legal power and proactively investing in R&D...
If you want end-users to have a great and secure experience interacting with mainstream merchants...
then dash might just be the way to go.

Ask yourself, why did darkcoin rebrand to dash? To stay purely in the shadow economy? I mean, of all the people, I fought hard against Coinfirm for it's AML / KYC. And it was me that proposed a privacy-first blockchain. But it is, what it is, this is the path we chose. We shout proudly of our dash enabled debit cards and so on. Expecting our end-users to give up their privacy yet fighting for our own?

So yeah, let's have a shakeout and have MNOs that are going to help deliver a best of class product.

No...

That's an unhideable footprint. And this is my very point. Datacenters have these wires going to them... Even if you obfuscate traffic, the sheer disproportionate size of the data moving... How many datacenters have 100% of their traffic routed through an obfuscation network? It's red herring.

I can rent a new server in 10 seconds. I can't build a new datacenter anywhere near that fast.

Yes.

I meant to hide Masternodes virtually on the network, thus eliminating the need to actually hide them physically. Knowing that a datacenter exists somewhere doesn't imply knowing it's part of the Dash network.

I meant to hide Masternodes virtually on the network, thus eliminating the need to actually hide them physically. Knowing that a datacenter exists somewhere doesn't imply knowing it's part of the Dash network.
The bigger and more specific the data and traffic footprint become, the more obvious what you're up to becomes; by Real World means of detection.

"There can be only one thing that this all adds up to."

Correlation and deduction. Basic detective work.

Not to mention that there is no such thing as an obfuscation network that doesn't massive slow down traffic, and we're talking about a 10GBE handoff because you can't keep up without it...

It sounds nice on paper, and when you ignore material reality... But, material reality doesn't go away just because you aren't paying attention to it.

Without actual research on the matter neither one of us can say with 100% certainty to be right. A study has to be conducted on the feasibility of encrypted high speed data relay. Tor/Freenet run on a network of volunteers which renders their traffic and speed stats useless and those that have a paid for encrypted infrastructure (intelligence agencies and militaries) don't share their data on that subject.

Without actual research on the matter neither one of us can say with 100% certainty to be right. A study has to be conducted on the feasibility of encrypted high speed data relay. Tor/Freenet run on a network of volunteers which renders their traffic and speed stats useless and those that have a paid for encrypted infrastructure (intelligence agencies and militaries) don't share their data on that subject.
I agree with you.

My point is not directly on that point.

When a building that calls itself a data center has no customers to report, and all of it's traffic is obfuscated, not a single packet discernible in wireshark... The jig is up.

"They" don't have to know exactly what's going on to know that something is definitely going on. Then comes the real-world snooping... Or they just lean on you about taxes, audits, permits, etc... There are tons of ways to abuse the system that has grown out of itself to hurt people they don't like. It's called Punishment by Process.

Gun Owners have been dealing with it for decades... You'll get a parking ticket in your own driveway. They'll pick your kids up from school and bring them home to you, just to make a point... They don't need to know for certain, because what they'll do to you won't be inside the system anyway...

Back