• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

The "Evolutionary Women of Dash" PinUp Calendar

Do you like this idea?

• Heck, yeah!

• No, historically relevant women are scary.

• Tell me more...

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have a suggestion...

Instead of a "Women of Dash" pinup calendar, do a Hedy Lamarr tribute calendar with you modeling Hedy's accomplishments as a technological inventor.

4+greatest+inventors+of+all+time+In+History+hedy-lamarr.png

juliet.copy_400x400.jpg

I'm liking the progression of the idea! Historically accurate portrayal for the win! My vote is turning towards yes and I may even buy a calender!

@TheBigCat, I do appreciate the reassurances on attire that you added to your original post. I'm afraid I missed it earlier and I think it's too important to be missed because this might well influence some votes. I hope that quoting it will help highlight it:

NOTE: The "Evolutionary Women of Dash Calendar" will differ from the ones I've produced below, specifically in the models' attire. In other words, no short shorts or bikinis, folks. (Amelia Earhart would look funny like that) Just fancy costumes appropriate to the era the historic woman is from and some clever settings with some historic info plus info on Dash, the blockchain, crypto-currency etc.

You've certainly set yourself a challenge in striking the right balance and I do admire your balls in being prepared to take it on. Your aim with this project is to get people talking about Dash, I'd like to try and help make sure that it generates the right kind of controversy.

Aw, thanks @jimbursch, @Chosen and @Tallyhoo! [emoji177] for helping start my day with good vibes and inspiration! (I know you were just kidding but paying me a very high compliment, Jim [emoji38])

The challenge is real but I do love this kind of work! I will put my whole heart and soul into it now that I feel I have the support of my cool Dash community! Stay tuned for more developments [emoji74]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know you were just kidding

Honestly, I wasn't kidding. You have the look to pull off the modeling.

After doing some cursory research, the timing for a Hedy Lamarr tribute is perfect. This year, a feature-length documentary about Hedy Lamarr produced by Susan Sarandon was screened at Tribeca and will be airing on PBS:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/bombshell-hedy-lamarr-story-997292

The official website of Hedy Lamarr is anemic, which indicates no active money is behind it:
http://www.hedylamarr.com/

You would have to get permission and perhaps pay a licensing fee to the rep of the Lamarr estate:
http://www.hedylamarr.com/business/

Hedy Lamarr is a bona-fide tech hero who is a woman. And we have the opportunity to pay tribute to her in Dash.

Wow... very interesting info on Hedy, Jim! I will check it all out [emoji41] Thank you!

@jimbursch and @Tallyho maybe another cool idea is to put together a scholarship for girls who want to get into tech called something like "The Hedy Lamarr Tech Scholarship, sponsored by Dash" ;) If you two would like to brainstorm about that as an another project, I'd be up for it! We might be able to collab with the producers of the Hedy movie...Let's start another thread for this :)

I think there is value in outreaching to people in creative ways. It's why I really like the work that stellabelle is doing and also some of the things that DashForce is doing to branch out. Relative to our other projects, these types of campaigns don't require a very large percentage of funding from the DAO, and they appeal to audiences that we otherwise might not have any exposure to. I like this idea and hope you are able to run with it.

My main concern is that the size of the Dash community right now is smaller than that of the Ron Paul campaign, which was widely known for its numerous and relentlessly dedicated activist supporters, more so than even the most hardcore cryptocurrency community that I have seen. So like you said, I wouldn't expect a large number of sales and a lot of these would probably be given away as comps. (omg maybe we should sell Dash themed fidget spinners? o_O) As @jimbursch suggested it might have even more impact if it's integrated well into a broader campaign

This is the kind of thing I think we should be encouraging as a community though, so I would probably be in favor of it, whatever direction you want to take it --

Omg, I had the idea of creating Dash Fidget Spinners too!!!!!
I think we should....

When I first heard about this, I was very gung-ho, but I have to admit, as we talked more about it, I think it would be really cool to have the calendar focused on the history of money, and payments. There are probably all kinds of unknown stories about women in the history of money that no one knows, so that would be a calendar that would have a lot of relevance to DASH, as I see it eventually taking the place of Paypal. Also, the role of women in the decentralized space, would be a connection as well.

As long as the art direction is not cheesey or exploitative of women, I think this is a good idea to generate media buzz, like you said. Everything depends on the level of artistic merit. If it's done properly, i.e., in a very creative and artistic non-cheesey way, then it will be something to add value to Dash. It really does all depend on the art direction. As an artist myself, I have to admit, I was not very impressed with the Ron Paul artistic direction of the calendars. Exploiting women is a trope that is just pretty gross to see, year after year, and it damages women in ways that I think is sad, more than anything else. Being a part of this exploitation is not helping us.....
It was too cheesey for my taste. I am supportive of creativity, though, so I think the more various projects that Dash has, the more people will be attracted to it.

So, it's a yes from me if I can please see some examples that don't exploit women. Where is your sample of this art direction?

Next time, it would be wise to show us samples of your art direction that are not exploitive, so that we can get an idea of what kind of artistic style you possess. By showing us this cheesey stuff, it actually doesn't serve you very well.

Last edited:
"The objectification of women is not empowering - it's demeaning and harmful "

I totally agree. That's why when i first saw the Ron Paul calendar women, I was not too enthusiastic about a calendar for Dash. Way too exploitative for my taste, and beyond that cheesey, too......

It's great to celebrate women who made historic achievements and I think such a theme would be a cool idea for international women's day or something, but I really don't see the connection with Dash. If the aim is to reach out to non-techie people I don't see how objectifying women will achieve this. Can you post any samples of your work where women aren't sexualised and objectified or are the pictures you've attached representative of how you intend to present this calendar?

In my opinion, the importance our society puts on female appearance and sexual attractiveness is a huge part of the reason why more women aren't technically inclined. Our society teaches girls from a young age that as long as they have nice figures and show them off, know how to apply make-up and follow fashions, they can disregard all the technology and finance know-how and other intelligent stuff and leave it to whatever man they catch. If we're serious about attracting women and girls to cryptocurrency, then perpetuating society's idea that a woman is judged on her looks first is absolutely emphatically NOT the way to do it.

I totally agree with you on this.

So, are you saying that it would not be exploitative at all? If it is, I too, won't be interested in this project.
Can I please see a sample of your art/photo work that is not exploitative of women?

@TheBigCat, I do appreciate the reassurances on attire that you added to your original post. I'm afraid I missed it earlier and I think it's too important to be missed because this might well influence some votes. I hope that quoting it will help highlight it:

You've certainly set yourself a challenge in striking the right balance and I do admire your balls in being prepared to take it on. Your aim with this project is to get people talking about Dash, I'd like to try and help make sure that it generates the right kind of controversy.

Her "balls"....I think you've been in a crypto land too long...

Can we please ditch the "pin-up" part of naming this calendar?
By using that word, people will think the women in it will be semi-naked.

Pin up just means it's a wall calendar as opposed to a calendar that sits on a desk as a little tent. I think your connotation of that is something else. As stated, there would be no nudity in the calendar, since it will be safe for the work place and public display. I hope that helps! I appreciate your support in this idea, @stellabelle. Anyone who is not interested in it, of course does not need to participate. I think I have explained the differences between this and the calendars I have done in the past pretty specifically. I only want people participating you feel comfortable with it. Thank you so much for your questions and input.

We also now have Susanne templehoff onboard as Cleopatra, so the list continues... [emoji851]

Last edited:
Proposal Evaluation Committee

Hi TheBigCat

Just want to find out if you are planning to submit your proposal officially, i.e. Pay the 5 Dash to submit it?
If so, do you agree to the PEC (Proposal Evaluation Committee) assisting you in preparing your Pre-Proposal?

The way we do it is to give a Report on your Proposal highlighting areas that you can improve.
As you improve the Proposal the Report is adjusted and this may be done a number of times (up to 5 or more), each time the chance of your Proposal being accepted by the MNO’s will increase.

The Report also has another function:
To give the Pre-Proposal a percentage mark. This percentage will make it possible to give the MNO’s and community a prioritized List of Evaluated Proposals. This list will save everyone time and increase the chance of your Proposal gaining votes.

However, please be aware that the PEC has not officially been accepted by the MNO’s. We are also in the Pre-Proposal phase, so you have no obligation to partake.
If you want to know who will be doing the Evaluations – see here: Official PEC Pre-P https://goo.gl/qrbeXK

If you do want to use our services (note this is a free service)
1. Please PM me on the Dash Pre + Budget Proposal Discussions Forum indicating agreement.
2. and if you have not done this yet, please read: How to submit a Dash Pre-Proposal https://goo.gl/7jmwXQ
3. Once you have read it you might want to adjust your Pre-Proposal before we submit the 1st Report, so I will wait for you to give us the go-ahead before we start the evaluation process.

If you don’t want the PEC to evaluate the Proposal – please PM me as well, then I won’t bug you again for an answer ;)

Good luck with your Proposal!

@Biltong, I've been getting more interesting feedback from other sources. Will either put this project on hold until closer to the release of "Evolution" or/and create gradual virtual "evolutionary women of Dash" features, which would be another kind of project [emoji74]

Thanks, Biltong. I'm planning a few gigs performing my original music (jazz/lounge/trip-hop) in Berlin this September, so if time permits you'll all see one or two "Evolutionary Women of Dash" in historic splendor before I jet off [emoji74]

Back