• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

The "Evolutionary Women of Dash" PinUp Calendar

Do you like this idea?

• Heck, yeah!

• No, historically relevant women are scary.

• Tell me more...

Results are only viewable after voting.
The woman oriented logic that @TheBigCat has, is a form of fascism and sexism. You have to appreciate a person for the qualities this person have, you have to encourage and help him/her as a person, and not because of his/her gender.

I dont care if a community is consisted by 100% men or by 100% women. It has to be consisted by people who worth it, regardless the gender percentages.

And we definitely need smart and worthy people here, because the more idiots arrive, the more the government system collapses. So no! We dont need more or less women. We need more worthy people , and we need the idiots either to go away or to stop being idiots.

So please, could you please stop being an idiot? This makes you valuable here, and not your gender. The more idiots you summon in the community , the more idiot the community becomes.

Whoa. What? Maybe you didn't understand my project proposal. I never suggested anyone help anyone else based on their sex.

It's a pinup (to be hung on a wall) calendar of women portraying historically relevant women in history. If you would like to see a pinup calendar of men or small dogs or cockroaches or anything else, then more power to you. [emoji38]That is just not what this project is about. I am jjust defining what I am proposing to create for dash. That's it.

Feel better now? [emoji177]

There exist also "worthy" people among the group of people defined as men and non-fintech people.
If you choose to invite women for their single property of being women, you are a rasist and sexist.

No, having targeted marketing campaigns to reach untapped markets does not make a person view the target group or groups as inherently superior to any other group.

Trolling hard this time @demo.

Whoa. What? Maybe you didn't understand my project proposal. I never suggested anyone help anyone else based on their sex.

It's a pinup (to be hung on a wall) calendar of women portraying historically relevant women in history. If you would like to see a pinup calendar of men or small dogs or cockroaches or anything else, then more power to you. [emoji38]

Ok then!!! I can agree with that! Can I order one with cockroaches please?
:p

Last edited:
[emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We may laugh now, but this is serious.

After the disaster the human race will cause in the planet earth, the cockroaches will be the winners. So if the cockroaches see that I have a cockroaches calendar in my wall, they may have mercy on me.

Thats why I want to have a cockroaches calendar. The human winners and survivors in this planet, will have to deal with cockroaches in the future.

Last edited:
Attention! I just found another cool addition for our calendar.

"Grace Murray Hopper" (1906-1992) Computer language creator. Her focus was on making them more accessible to programmers, as Dash focuses on making the use of a crypto currency more accessible to the average person [emoji851]

It's great to celebrate women who made historic achievements and I think such a theme would be a cool idea for international women's day or something, but I really don't see the connection with Dash. If the aim is to reach out to non-techie people I don't see how objectifying women will achieve this. Can you post any samples of your work where women aren't sexualised and objectified or are the pictures you've attached representative of how you intend to present this calendar?

In my opinion, the importance our society puts on female appearance and sexual attractiveness is a huge part of the reason why more women aren't technically inclined. Our society teaches girls from a young age that as long as they have nice figures and show them off, know how to apply make-up and follow fashions, they can disregard all the technology and finance know-how and other intelligent stuff and leave it to whatever man they catch. If we're serious about attracting women and girls to cryptocurrency, then perpetuating society's idea that a woman is judged on her looks first is absolutely emphatically NOT the way to do it.

Sorry, but I thought I was clear in the style of this calendar I am proposing four Dash two Harold the release of evolution. This would not be the same kind of calendar at all. It would be more colorful/educational/historic geared toward the idea of "Evolution" hence the connection to the release of the app.

So there would be no bikinis or short shorts for Marie Curie or Amelia Erhardt [emoji38]

I hope that helps!

and Lady Godiva and Hedy Lamarr will be wearing boiler suits? The objectification of women is not empowering - it's demeaning and harmful - and, in my opinion, totally inappropriate for Dash to be associated with, let alone fund. How about a calendar showing the evolution of money instead? Salt, barter, gold coins?? No? More relevant but not enough eye candy?

I'm going to shut up now or I risk the Streisand effect, but please, at least add a proper "no" option to the poll. It is not sexist to vote against this proposal, but there are sound arguments that the proposal is sexist in itself.

"Boiler suits?" sorry, I have no idea what that means. Lady Godiva was a tax protestor and so pretty badass in my opinion. If we get someone interested in posing as this historic figure, rest assured it will be very tastefully and modestly done :) as for the model for Heddy Lamar, her brother will be shooting a black and white headshot of her in a glamor style (ala George Hurrell) And Hedy Lamarr was an inventor responsible for developing an anti-jamming guidance system for allied torpedoes. Pretty cool, huh? Of course, achievements like this would be highlighted in our calendar! Any other questions?

Sexist? I don't' understand this idea relating to my proposal. Celebrating historically relevant women who helped us all evolve is "sexist"?

I think certain people have the uncanny ability to be offended for just about any reason they dream up.
My heart goes out to these people. Must be tough going through life constantly feeling offended.

I am simply offering my creativity, contacts, time, money and energy for a promotional project that I believe will be exciting and broad-reaching to our community and Dash.

As they say, you can't please all the people all the time.

Please do let me know if this is worth my time (and over $500 in fees to submit and official proposal) or not, though. I'm not interested in wasting my time, energy or finances.

Thanks so much, Everyone!

and Lady Godiva and Hedy Lamarr will be wearing boiler suits? The objectification of women is not empowering - it's demeaning and harmful - and, in my opinion, totally inappropriate for Dash to be associated with, let alone fund. How about a calendar showing the evolution of money instead? Salt, barter, gold coins?? No? More relevant but not enough eye candy?

I'm going to shut up now or I risk the Streisand effect, but please, at least add a proper "no" option to the poll. It is not sexist to vote against this proposal, but there are sound arguments that the proposal is sexist in itself.
Salt, barter, gold coins? Yeah, that sounds like a GREAT way to get media attention. The people who like salt alone will guarantee you a huge audience ;)

I encourage you to submit this idea and to run with it. You and the guy doing the cockroach calendar could team up and do a very PC, female cockroach empowering calendar together :)

Hi @TheBigCat, please may we start again? Clearly this discussion isn't as effective as it should be and I take the blame for coming here wearing my feminist hat instead of my dash hat.

I do see that you believe that your idea can be a positive thing for Dash and that's what everybody here wants, so instead of shooting you down I should have been more constructive. I apologise for that. Of course you don't want to waste the money submitting a proposal that won't pass and that's the whole point of a pre-proposal thread like this one, so starting from that basis and our common interest in wanting Dash to succeed, perhaps we can look together at how to improve this proposal.

- First of all please consider changing the poll options to something more useful. I can't see how many votes the poll has received because I haven't voted, because none of the options apply to me, but I'm sure there are many others who haven't voted for the same reason. It would be far more useful to you to invite proper "no" votes and ask people to explain why they voted no so that you can address their concerns and tweak the proposal if necessary, before putting up the proposal fee.

- It would be helpful if you could provide a clear visual example of how you intend to present the calendar. Certainly I got hung up on the cheesecake photos you attached to your post so I'm almost certainly not the only one who understood that they were representative of the calendar. If you don't have photos to show us perhaps you could do a mock-up or sketch something to show exactly what you have in mind? MNOs need to know what they are voting for without having to imagine it.

- In the example please show how this will be relevant to Dash, obviously the more relevant the better. That is the reason we're all here after all.

Nobody is suggesting that it isn't admirable to showcase such heroic women, believe me I do not need a lesson in why Hedy Lamarr was amazing! But if you want this proposal to succeed you'll need to demonstrate how this is relevant to Dash or how this will help get more women interested in Dash specifically rather than just giving them a history lesson.

A few more ideas if I may. Somebody easrlier in this thread suggested that the pictures should be in chronological order as a representation of evolution. I would also suggest choosing women from progressive eras in line with that theme, from the furthest back in history to modern day. You already have an impressive list of women but fitting them into a template of evolution might help you narrow it down.

Perhaps consider using images of the actual women in question (photos, paintings, sketches), possibly each accompanied by a photo of a real Woman of Dash and a few words about why this heroic woman inspires her.

In my opinion the calendar would ideally convey a clear message that women are welcomed in Dash, that they will be treated and respected equally, that they can make an important contribution, that they can find personal and financial success here whilst taking control of their own finances and their own goals. And that they can have fun doing so. I think that if you can convey some sort of message like that, make it relevant to Dash and show MNOs exactly what the calendar will look like, you will get a far more positive response. Modifying the poll to enable the community to reflect their true thoughts will also help you gauge that response far more usefully.

I genuinely hope this helps.

Tally.

@TheBigCat -- you're bumping into an issue that's much bigger than your proposal, which is why you're getting resistance. Sexism is a huge issue in technology, gaming, and online culture (see #gamergate). And it's an issue because women are under-represented in the industry and culture of cryptocurrency.

Ultimately you decide how you represent yourself, and you decide how (or not) you represent women. It sucks having to carry that burden, but I trust your judgment. If the calendar you envision chooses to exploit the power of sex-appeal to the max, go for it. Own it, because you are in charge of this project and you get to decide.

This resistance is what happens when you put one segment of society on a pedestal. Empowering one side potentially - excluding and silencing the other - it's problematic. To achieve one version of "equality", you have to accept the mascularisation of women AND the feminisation of men. Favouring one side will, invariably, cause problems.

For me, I will vote no. If you chose a Family and Friends theme, I will probably vote yes.

Indeed! But what I meant to say is that I think there is Dash in the Treasury to compensate the models a little more for their services :))
Oh, yes that might be nice :) My goal with the costs here was keeping everything as close to bare bones as possible, to keep it feasible to the budget. I do think that the whole project is pitched quite reasonably fee-wise!

Hi @TheBigCat, please may we start again? Clearly this discussion isn't as effective as it should be and I take the blame for coming here wearing my feminist hat instead of my dash hat.

I do see that you believe that your idea can be a positive thing for Dash and that's what everybody here wants, so instead of shooting you down I should have been more constructive. I apologise for that. Of course you don't want to waste the money submitting a proposal that won't pass and that's the whole point of a pre-proposal thread like this one, so starting from that basis and our common interest in wanting Dash to succeed, perhaps we can look together at how to improve this proposal.

- First of all please consider changing the poll options to something more useful. I can't see how many votes the poll has received because I haven't voted, because none of the options apply to me, but I'm sure there are many others who haven't voted for the same reason. It would be far more useful to you to invite proper "no" votes and ask people to explain why they voted no so that you can address their concerns and tweak the proposal if necessary, before putting up the proposal fee.

- It would be helpful if you could provide a clear visual example of how you intend to present the calendar. Certainly I got hung up on the cheesecake photos you attached to your post so I'm almost certainly not the only one who understood that they were representative of the calendar. If you don't have photos to show us perhaps you could do a mock-up or sketch something to show exactly what you have in mind? MNOs need to know what they are voting for without having to imagine it.

- In the example please show how this will be relevant to Dash, obviously the more relevant the better. That is the reason we're all here after all.

Nobody is suggesting that it isn't admirable to showcase such heroic women, believe me I do not need a lesson in why Hedy Lamarr was amazing! But if you want this proposal to succeed you'll need to demonstrate how this is relevant to Dash or how this will help get more women interested in Dash specifically rather than just giving them a history lesson.

A few more ideas if I may. Somebody easrlier in this thread suggested that the pictures should be in chronological order as a representation of evolution. I would also suggest choosing women from progressive eras in line with that theme, from the furthest back in history to modern day. You already have an impressive list of women but fitting them into a template of evolution might help you narrow it down.

Perhaps consider using images of the actual women in question (photos, paintings, sketches), possibly each accompanied by a photo of a real Woman of Dash and a few words about why this heroic woman inspires her.

In my opinion the calendar would ideally convey a clear message that women are welcomed in Dash, that they will be treated and respected equally, that they can make an important contribution, that they can find personal and financial success here whilst taking control of their own finances and their own goals. And that they can have fun doing so. I think that if you can convey some sort of message like that, make it relevant to Dash and show MNOs exactly what the calendar will look like, you will get a far more positive response. Modifying the poll to enable the community to reflect their true thoughts will also help you gauge that response far more usefully.

I genuinely hope this helps.

Tally.
Hi, Tally. I appreciate your interest in the "Evolutionary Women of Dash" calendar!

First, I believe a few of your concerns have now been addressed in the body of my pre-proposal, since I edited it earlier today. Please check that, OK?

The main concern you seem to be voicing was the relevance of a Calendar called "Evolutionary Women of Dash." Perhaps you did not see that this would be to herald the introduction of the groundbreaking app called "Evolution" by Dash, near the end of the year/beginning of 2018. I see Dash as a wonderful innovation for society as a whole. The Evolutionary women portrayed in the calendar are part of this lineage of innovators.

Let me assure you that with the experience I have, creating, designing and producing 2 pinup calendars and working with 24 women, I know what I am doing. Not an easy task, coordinating with so many personality types to create something of beauty, strength, and intelligence, through this collaboartaion. So let me explain some things...

The reason I have such an extensive list of women from history, is the historic women we will actually feature will be determined by the women who want to be part of this project. Certain figures from history will resonate more or less with certain women. We are all individuals, after all
emoji41.png
I want each model to be inspired by the woman in history they are portraying. As you so astutely suggested, this will be part of what we include in the copy on each page. I purposely put up a long list to give women as many options as I could think of. I also - notice - left it open for them to make suggestions.

Your idea of having two photos on each page, one of the actual woman from history and one of the woman who is inspired by that woman in history, is interesting but unfortunately designwise not tenable. Again, trust me I have experience in this. There simply is not enough room in a graceful way for two photos on one page plus all of the copy. This idea of two pictures per page also would bring up legal and financial issues since using photos of these actual historic women would entail getting permission from their sources and in most cases paying a fee.

Please keep in mind that this is meant to be a news-worthy, publicity-garnering promotion of outreach and celebration. That's the idea.

I hope that helps!

The relevance of the calendar is one of my concerns, yes, and I admit I still find the link between Dash Evolution and the evolution of women in the way you describe very tenuous. The innovation link much less so, but still it's called Dash Evolution, not Dash Innovation.

My main concern however is to what extent women will be objectified and you still haven't really addressed this. Cryptocurrency, Dash, is an arena where sex is irrelevant. Men and women can get involved and manage their own money equally, have equal control, equal voices, equal participation, exactly as it should be. That's why I'm looking for something in your proposal and your answers to justify how images of women in poses are going to help promote this message of equality and inclusivity. Women are under-represented in the field of crypto, as in all technology fields. That is a problem that begins in childhood when girls are given pretty dolls to play with instead of Lego and computers. I was never interested in dolls. (In case it's not clear yet I am a woman.) I was given my first computer when I was 4 years old because that was what I so desperately wanted. Perhaps I was exceptional, perhaps I was lucky or perhaps I was born just in time. Young girls today are bombarded with media, magazines, advertising, music videos, even TV and movies all telling women that the most important thing is their appearance, that first and foremost they must be slim and sexy. Women complain about "tampon tax" yet spend a fortune on cosmetics, even cosmetic surgery. And many women do this instead of taking control of their own education, their technology and their finances, not as well as. Because they spent their school IT lessons trying to catch the attention of boys while the boys were learning the computers. At every opportunity women have to empower themselves, too many are still choosing to prioritise conformity with the stereotype instead. Women and girls who can't conform to what society demands of their appearance tend to feel excluded, inadequate and even depressed and suicidal.

@jimbursch says the problem is sexism. It is, but in a much deeper, society-mandated form. He is right however that the issue goes much further than your proposal. And for me an important question is where your calendar sits within this landscape. Are women looking at this calendar going to be inspired by the achievements of the original heroic figures and feel liberated and empowered enough to spend their next salary on dash instead of make-up or diet pills? Crucially to the theme of equality, this is a choice men never (usually) have to make. Or are they going to see just more images of slim, attractive women to compound the myth that their appearance matters above all else?

Perhaps you haven't considered the calendar within that context and are aiming for "eye candy" with a hook to Dash. You know as well as I do that this can be done without short skirts and cleavages. But if that's the angle, it risks sending the message that the women of Dash are here to look pretty while the men do all the technical stuff, and I don't see how it's going to do women or Dash any favours, and it begs the next important question: how controversial do you want this calendar to be? How much of the potential audience is it worth alienating just to get people talking about the project?

Last edited:
Back