• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Supporting Darkcoin Dev team

Light

Foundation Member
Dear Community,

I was one of the active members who were against the ShadowCoin merger. Majority of the community also voted against the idea and Evan agreed not to go for it. And after a week, everybody forgot that it ever happened.

I would like to bring up the issue again. The merger idea was proposed because we needed (and still need) more dev team members to handle the increasing workload. Now since merger is not going to happen anymore, as a community we need to take the responsibility to find alternative ways to recruit additional dev team and also support existing Darkcoin developers that have been doing amazing work without getting paid. Yes, we occasionally paid some tips here and there but these people cannot live on beer tips.

I invite all of you to discuss this issue and propose sustainable solutions for supporting the existing and the future Darkcoin developers and the staff. As a masternode owner, I agree with the previous proposal of allocating some percentage of my masternode earnings to the Darkcoin Foundation for this cause and so on.

Let's talk about it.

EDIT: I am addressing especially to the fellow masternode owners because soon (in less then 2 weeks) masternode payments will be bumped to 30% and the price is getting higher and higher. We shouldn't be greedy like some pools ;) Let's give back some parts of our earnings to the community.

EDIT 2:
Another alternative solution would be directing the transaction fees to the Foundation. Evan is working on a solution for it I think. I like this option because it would be a sustainable funding for the development. We can organize tipping or crowd funding but they usually tend to last a short period of time and then people forget about it.

Q7S3kdp.png

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg9502494#msg9502494

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree~! As Masternode owner too, if there is a parameter that can set the donation percentage of my MN earning, that maybe very good for Long-Term-Support to the whole Darkcoin community~!

+1 for me too , Im 28 coins away from the MN level , but sure I won't need a reward that goes up to 60 % in 2016, in my opinion this will create uninteresting mining conditions , but as me being not technical i know its important that MN are there to sustain the system and should be rewarded, but leveling should be nice.

...a reward that goes up to 60 % in 2016, in my opinion this will create uninteresting mining conditions...

It's a self regulating system: fewer people mine, difficulty goes down, reward per block goes up, more people mine.

Right now I've powered down most of my power-hungry AMD-GPU rigs, and wait for the next step of enforcement.

Another alternative solution would be directing the transaction fees to the Foundation. Evan is working on a solution for it I think. I like this option because it would be a sustainable funding for the development. We can organize tipping or crowd funding but they usually tend to last a short period of time and then people forget about it.

Q7S3kdp.png

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg9502494#msg9502494

I would like for the masternode donations to go the developers directly to a separate development wallet
and that we create a wallet for the foundation to use those funds for marketing

also could we do a hardcode for the donations in the qt so its super easy the less friction the better

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Community,

I was one of the active members who were against the ShadowCoin merger. Majority of the community also voted against the idea and Evan agreed not to go for it. And after a week, everybody forgot that it ever happened.

I would like to bring up the issue again. The merger idea was proposed because we needed (and still need) more dev team members to handle the increasing workload. Now since merger is not going to happen anymore, as a community we need to take the responsibility to find alternative ways to recruit additional dev team and also support existing Darkcoin developers that have been doing amazing work without getting paid. Yes, we occasionally paid some tips here and there but these people cannot live on beer tips.

I invite all of you to discuss this issue and propose sustainable solutions for supporting the existing and the future Darkcoin developers and the staff. As a masternode owner, I agree with the previous proposal of allocating some percentage of my masternode earnings to the Darkcoin Foundation for this cause and so on.

Let's talk about it.

EDIT: I am addressing especially to the fellow masternode owners because soon (in less then 2 weeks) masternode payments will be bumped to 30% and the price is getting higher and higher. We shouldn't be greedy like some pools ;) Let's give back some parts of our earnings to the community.
Light, aren't you working with Ignition on this?
He has a donation project here: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/drk-team-tips-crowd-funding.2929/#post-28822
And I'm also trying to help keep elbereth's site going for us: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/if-you-like-website-drk-mn-please-donate-1drk-a-month.2774/

Not sure how else we can get more people involved.

Light, aren't you working with Ignition on this?
He has a donation project here: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/drk-team-tips-crowd-funding.2929/#post-28822
And I'm also trying to help keep elbereth's site going for us: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/if-you-like-website-drk-mn-please-donate-1drk-a-month.2774/

Not sure how else we can get more people involved.

Yes, I am aware of Ignition's project and I think it is a great idea for short term solution. But we need a sustainable way of supporting existing and future dev team. We cannot do it by periodically asking for tips. We need to come up with a systemic solution ( a. sharing a percentage of masternode payment b. sending transaction fee to Foundation or dev support wallet c.... etc)

Yes, I am aware of Ignition's project and I think it is a great idea for short term solution. But we need a sustainable way of supporting existing and future dev team. We cannot do it by periodically asking for tips. We need to come up with a systemic solution ( a. sharing a percentage of masternode payment b. sending transaction fee to Foundation or dev support wallet c.... etc)
I guess Evan is working on it? If there's a lot of traffic with transactions once InstantX is implemented, the fees can go to the devs team. Masternode payment should be on a voluntary basis, I don't see how this can be coerced. It's tough. I thought you were running a donation project.. :)

I guess Evan is working on it? If there's a lot of traffic with transactions once InstantX is implemented, the fees can go to the devs team. Masternode payment should be on a voluntary basis, I don't see how this can be coerced. It's tough. I thought you were running a donation project.. :)

If we can get the transactions paid to the Foundation, that might be sufficient. Then we would just make masternode payment sharing voluntary or perhaps there wouldn't be a need for it.

Nope. Donations are great but they are centralized solutions ;) Depends on an active member of the community. We need decentralized solution ;)

It has to be donations for me!
I dont believe in paying anyone part of a fixed fee.
otherwise it would be similar to taxation!
Then darkcoin would be a form of payment processor a.k.a. bank
Isnt that what we are trying to escape ?

Donations might slow stuff down but we are here for the long haul
Just believe in the goodwill of the community.
if you make donating easy, people will donate, we are not greedy.
In fact I believe a big part of the community supports darkcoin
for privacy and financial freedom, not in the first place to get rich,
we arent a get rich quick scheme, we are part of a community which is trying to protect our rights and liberties.
I am here because I don't want to pay fees on my transactions either to a corporation or a group of programmers
I am here because I don't want my finances to be monitored
I am here because I want to get liberated from the (central) banks
I am here for the revolution, that the innovation of the blockchain can offer us:
security, privacy and freedom through decentralization.

Just implement Built in donation options in the QT, the sooner the better !
Make donations 3 clicks or less!
If money is a concern then the developers should stop and implement this now !
As said before: an average donation of 5% per masternode would be at least 1 Darkcoin per month, times 1190,
would make for a minimum revenue of 2500$ per month which means the addition of at least 1 enthusiastic developer.
Separate donations to the Darkcoin Foundation could then be used for spreading awareness and marketing.
Me and numerous members want to pay a yearly/monthly fee to the foundation
Because all of this, is a cause very dear to my dark heart :grin:

Just a couple of random thoughts which you may or may not like:

• I happily donate money and/or time if I think something is good/someone needs help. Others do so as well.
  • if I'm forced to donate I'll expect something, whatever this might be.
  • if someone owns 300 Masternodes, have his of her wishes a greater chance to be implemented because he/she pays more?
  • $2500 (see elringo's example above) barely pays a good developer.
  • what will other developers think when one gets money, the others not?
  • if ALL developers get money, how much each? Per coding line? Per brilliant idea?
  • if a developer(s) is officially paid we waste money with taxes.
  • If Darkcoin goes the Bitcoin way (~$1000) the donations would be > $1000000. Do we then adjust the coding again? If not, when? How often?
Right now I'm neither against nor pro forced donations....but I think this is a BIG can of worms.

If we can get the transactions paid to the Foundation, that might be sufficient. Then we would just make masternode payment sharing voluntary or perhaps there wouldn't be a need for it.
Light, who from the foundation will be in charge of this fund? How can the fund be trusted in someone's hand?

Nope. Donations are great but they are centralized solutions ;) Depends on an active member of the community. We need decentralized solution ;)
How can donations be centralized? lol... Donors give from their heart, nobody is forcing them....
I know you're trying to get a dev hired to help Evan and this is a great cause, because Evan does need help, but i'm not so sure how we can go about this because this isn't darkcoin.com.. I'm thinking we can make a list of devs and their DRK address and ask people to donate by sending DRK to each dev's address. But that's all i can think of.

Light, who from the foundation will be in charge of this fund? How can the fund be trusted in someone's hand?

How can donations be centralized? lol... Donors give from their heart, nobody is forcing them....
I know you're trying to get a dev hired to help Evan and this is a great cause, because Evan does need help, but i'm not so sure how we can go about this because this isn't darkcoin.com.. I'm thinking we can make a list of devs and their DRK address and ask people to donate by sending DRK to each dev's address. But that's all i can think of.

I think fund can be trusted to Evan. He can decide what to do with it. I don't think he is going to run away with the donation coins :D

I think fund can be trusted to Evan. He can decide what to do with it. I don't think he is going to run away with the donation coins :D
I wasn't thinking Evan should be bothered with this because he's busy enough with coding. :)

Great ideas flying around here,
i am all for optional MN Percentage 'donations' !
Lets do a 1 month run as a test and see if it makes sense and what would come together ?!
Sign me up for that one !

The Funds should NOT go to Evan ! that is the wrong kind of responsibility for him (he has other things to worry about)
That's the perfect job for the Foundation.
They will be launching soon !! Talk to Fernando regarding that.

Why only masternodes, why not users and miners?

Add developer donate button to wallet,
and/or to set donation amount in wallet options and always automatic donate when user send funds.
This should be voluntarily and if setting is 0 (zero) then automatic donation is off.

Back