• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Suggestion: New voting method - Priotity ranking

lynx

I'm thinking of a new voting system... instead of voting yes or no, each masternode ranks all the proposals by priority, like so:

1 - Core-dev
2 - Great stuff
3 - Project
4 - Useless junk

To exemplify why it would be useful, say, the way things are now, those are my preferences and I check the net votes table and it is like this:

1000 - Core-dev
800 - Great stuff
400 - Useless junk
100 - Project

Let's assume for simplicity that only the 2 top voted items get funded. In this case, I have to vote yes to Core-dev, Great stuff, and Project and vote no Useless junk.

But say the table looked like this:

1000 - Project
800 - Great stuff
400 - Core-dev
100 - Useless junk

In this case it makes sense for me to vote yes to Core-dev and vote no to Project, Great stuff and Useless junk, because for me Core-dev is essential and must be paid.

See where I'm getting at? Depending on what is expected to be funded, I have to vote differently. If the system just takes my ranked proposals, it could work out in the background what I actually want to be done instead of me having to micromanage my votes.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
How would the hardcoded masternode network know how to classify and rank the different types of proposals?

Isn't all this already solved considering there is human intelligence behind the masternodes who can vote yes/no, thereby ranking proposals according to what the collective network wants

How would the hardcoded masternode network know how to classify and rank the different types of proposals?

Isn't all this already solved considering there is human intelligence behind the masternodes who can vote yes/no, thereby ranking proposals according to what the collective network wants

The way I think of it, the network doesn't need to be aware of what is happening. I just want the masternode daemon to change its cast votes according to my preference rank, depending on which on which budget items are expected to be paid. I don't think human intelligence is solving the issue, since a masternode operator would have to constantly check the voting table to see if anything has changed and then manually re-cast several votes accordingly each time.

Much easier to say - Vote Yea - Vote Na - Vote Abstain - or just don't vote....

Why would I want to draw a diagram and algorithm to explain the voting process..... ??

Yea - Na - Ab.... pretty simple......

We need to keep it incredibly stupid simple
Like a 3rd grader is using it.....

People give to much credit to the masses some times.....
Believe you me - I know the masses are crazy stupid
- I have to deal with it every day - from both ends.....

What voting debate? I'm just making a suggestion. Are you going to make an argument for or against it?

Some don't want to bring up arguments because they don't want to argue because polarization and because anger and upset and safe spaces. :)

The idea is solid. What do you guys see wrong with it? In the current system you have there is an incentive to downvote proposals to bump up others and you have to keep checking back on the votes. With a rating system things would work out more organically. Proposals would take care of themselves. You just prioritize depending on how much you like them without the need to micromanage so much.

The rating system would be very K.I.S.S as well just like the current one.

Some don't want to bring up arguments because they don't want to argue because polarization and because anger and upset and safe spaces. :)

The idea is solid. What do you guys see wrong with it? In the current system you have there is an incentive to downvote proposals to bump up others and you have to keep checking back on the votes. With a rating system things would work out more organically. Proposals would take care of themselves. You just prioritize depending on how much you like them without the need to micromanage so much.

The rating system would be very K.I.S.S as well just like the current one.
Should it be optional? In case that somebody wants to do it oldstyle.

Much easier to say - Vote Yea - Vote Na - Vote Abstain - or just don't vote....
(...)
We need to keep it incredibly stupid simple
It is simple. If there was just one vote per month and that's it, it would be "fine". But you can change your vote at any moment, and anyone can make a new proposal at any moment. This can dramatically alter what the budget payout will be. Keeping it so that only the operators that have spare time to monitor budget proposals and how they are being voted on get their way isn't the way to go IMO.

Should it be optional? In case that somebody wants to do it oldstyle.
Well, I guess it could be optional. I have no reason why it shouldn't be. There could be an interface like the one moocowmoo has made that you could set the vote to YES/NO/RANK.

PS: That way you could be sure that your vote would reflect your opinions on 5 dash opinion voting polls. Or you could just rank them highest or lowest of all. There really isn't much of a difference.

Back