• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Solo Mining Help

CryptoKnut

Hello everyone this is my first post on Darkcoin Talk even though I've been actively mining Darkcoin since June! For months I've been mining on p2pool I have seven R9270's and I pull about 30MH. But recently I decided to try and solo mine for a little bit.

According to coinwarz. with the average difficulty around 3000 it said I should find a block once every five days. I thought it'd be fun to generate my own block and to know that my block will be present on the chain forever. It's been about a week now since I started and I've actually found three blocks during that time.

Only problem is that when I do find a block the the generated Darkcoins go into my wallet only to be taken out about 30 seconds later. I know this is called a orphan block and that my DarkcoinQT isn't getting the message to the the other miners fast enough. I have twenty active connections to to the dark network and it just seems unlikely that all three of my generated block would orphan. Is there anything that I might be missing that is causing me to orphan so frequently?

Last edited by a moderator:
darkcoin's network hash is around 120 GH/s. 1 mega = 0.001 giga, so your 30 MH/s represents 0.025% of the total network. Each day, around 576 blocks are found, so you should find 576 * 0.00025 = 0.144 blocks per day.

Since only a full block is payed when solo mining, that means that at current diff mining reward of 2.9 DRK, you should statistically find 1 block every 20 days (2.9/0.144), excluding luck.

So yeah, those seem like absolutely normal and expected orphaned blocks, which are very common on p2p and solo mining.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright it just really bummed me out the third time it happened, I've read that it is possible to exclude transaction fees and by doing so it should help miners get the block propagated around the network faster is this true? Just to give you guys more information here is my .conf info. I run my wallet on my desktop computer and run my mining rig separately i just put the rpcallowip to allow my mining rig to connect to my wallet. Thanks so much for your help!

rpcuser=whatever
rpcpassword=whatever
rpcallowip=192.168.1.144
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcallowip=192.168.1.135
server=1
daemon=1
listen=1

Never done much solo mining, I'm not getting your question. Fees are included when you broadcast a tx, so it gets prioritised due to byte size. In DRK we dont have the same issue as BTC, so the great majority of tx are sent without fee because there is no need. But in essence, you pay a tx fee to guarantee its inclusion in the next block.

When you solve a block, you mint new coins so there are no fees. In fact, any "fee" is recorded in the blockchain your are trying to solve. So I dont see how any fee structure could influence miners propagating blocks faster. They're two distinct entities. One is block or msg propagation, the other in tx broadcast to be included in the next block.

Meaby it is funny question...do you use 11.1.25 version of wallet???

yeah I use the latest version of Darkcoin wallet, I guess my orphan blocks are just bad luck. I'm just going to start mining at p2pool again. thanks for all the help guys!

Alright it just really bummed me out the third time it happened, I've read that it is possible to exclude transaction fees and by doing so it should help miners get the block propagated around the network faster is this true? Just to give you guys more information here is my .conf info. I run my wallet on my desktop computer and run my mining rig separately i just put the rpcallowip to allow my mining rig to connect to my wallet. Thanks so much for your help!

rpcuser=whatever
rpcpassword=whatever
rpcallowip=192.168.1.144
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcallowip=192.168.1.135
server=1
daemon=1
listen=1

Hi Everybody

... and then do u just use X11 or X11mod or X11evo or Darkcoin i am really not sure with these algorithms anymore because its not completely clear what to use.
Even if u mine with the wrong algorithm on some pools or solo , i have seen the miner still mines regardless with no error, which is stupid.
You could be mining for ICE in the Khalahari for days.
If you can please clarify for me.
Thanks

Meaby it is funny question...do you use 11.1.25 version of wallet???
It might be funny, yes, but when mining against this wallet, do you need to use SGminer -k ???? is it X11 or what the hell is it....sometimes it is not precisely the same as on a pool.

It might be funny, yes, but when mining against this wallet, do you need to use SGminer -k ???? is it X11 or what the hell is it....sometimes it is not precisely the same as on a pool.
I gave up mining.
If you need an assistance get on dashnation slack.

Back