• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Sgminer Doesn't Detect 280x GPU

GreenRaccoon23

I can't find any help on the Internet for this problem. I'm trying to run sgminer with an AMD Radeon R9-280x GPU under Linux. When I run "sgminer -n", this is the output:
Code:
$ ./sgminer -n
[20:42:48] CL Platform 0 vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.                   
[20:42:48] CL Platform 0 name: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing                   
[20:42:48] CL Platform 0 version: OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1214.3)                   
[20:42:48] Error -1: Getting Device IDs (num)                   
[20:42:48] clDevicesNum returned error, no GPUs usable                   
[20:42:48] 0 GPU devices max detected
My computer detects the GPU fine, just not sgminer:
Code:
$ sudo aticonfig --lsa
* 0. 02:00.0 AMD Radeon R9 200 Series             

* - Default adapter
I've run this: (and rebooted):
Code:
"sudo aticonfig --adapter=all --initial
I've tried running these commands before running "sgminer -n":
Code:
export DISPLAY=0
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1
I've also tried running this since my BIOS isn't set up for ACPI:
Code:
sudo aticonfig --acpi-services=off
I've actually made a guide that works for my 7970, but it's not working with my 280x. The guide is here if you want to know exactly what I've done: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/ho...mine-darkcoin-under-linux-ubuntu-64-bit.1813/

I also tried installing lasybear's version of sgminer, but even with that one, the output of "sgminer -n" is still the same.

I'm out of ideas here.

I can't find any help on the Internet for this problem. I'm trying to run sgminer with an
I'm out of ideas here.

I had issues like that on 14.04.. what version of linux are you using?

Try uninstalling your drivers and reinstalling. I'm using 14.6 with no problems. Has to be installed through gui.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using 14.6 Catalyst driver and Linux Mint 17 XFCE 64 bit (it's a slow CPU).

Wait, it has to be installed through GUI? Maybe that's my problem.

-----EDIT-----

I can't install it through GUI. If I try installing it through GUI, it tells me to do it through command line. Like, it says I have to run "sudo sh *.run --listpkg" and then "sudo sh *.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/trusty".

Reinstalling the driver didn't fix it unfortunately. :sad: Maybe I should try using regular Xubuntu instead of Linux Mint XFCE? Usually, Linux Mint is more stable, so it'd really surprise me if switching to Xubuntu fixed the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found out something odd. After I install sgminer, I can run "sgminer -n" and it detects my GPU. But then once I run the full commands:
Code:
export DISPLAY=0
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1
sgminer -k x11mod ...blah...
it doesn't do anything. The crazy weird thing is that, once I try to run sgminer this way, then I'll run "sgminer -n" and sgminer won't detect my GPU anymore. What?! :what: Lol.

Well I never figured out how to fix this. It works perfectly on Xubuntu but I can't get it to work on Linux Mint or Arch. I have no idea why.

I think I figured it out!!! Finally!!! Guess what it was? I was running, "export DISPLAY=0" instead of "export DISPLAY=:0".

That's it. Isn't that ridiculous? After running all those commands, that little colon messed it all up haha.

Back