• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Setting up a node that mine only with 1 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Cristian

Hello,

I'm considering setting up a Dash node to use as a local server. The idea is to write software that connects to the local node to relay the transactions and to query for the new blocks data.

Since the server will be sleeping almost all the time, I would like to know if it's possible to setup a single thread to mine in it. I know it's almost impossible to find a nonce, but it's still possible, it's like a lottery ticket.

I remember to see some dashd options to start mining some time ago. Did they disappear? How do I start such process?

Sorry to say, but I can do it with Monero, it's really simple. I just want to do the same thing with Dash, I really like the combination of both.

Is there someone to help?

It was a command "set generate true".
Is not there anymore.
Putting a CPU to mine has totally no sense. You have more probability to win in lotto than mine a block with a single thread even if this was still possible

I found in the docs, it's removed since version 0.12.3, which is sad.

dash-docs.github.io/en/developer-reference#setgenerate

I should be free to use my resources as I wish, because while almost impossible, it's still possible. Sounds more like a protection to miners than something that's really needed.

I guess this would make miners really mad to know that a block was mined by someone with a single thread, because he was lucky.

If I get the sources and manage to reintroduce the feature in the current release and configure it to mine, is there a network protection against my custom node?

Sounds more like a protection to miners than something that's really needed.

Ya, we absolutely have to protect the ASIC miners from the CPU miners... sigh.

I guess this would make miners really mad to know that a block was mined by someone with a single thread, because he was lucky.

Yup, wars have been started over less... *sigh*

If I get the sources and manage to reintroduce the feature in the current release and configure it to mine, is there a network protection against my custom node?

The sources are here --> https://github.com/dashpay/dash/pull/1790/commits/fa03411150fcb3058e0e9ed5de632b4a2b5dd4f8 - we have merged/wiped them as backport (https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7507) from the Bitcoin Core devs (to reduce false positive antivirus/malware warnings and as nobody except you is cpu mining on mainnet) - but I guess their real intention was to protect their miners and not upsetting them if a single core mines 12.5BTC as well.

Feel free to reintroduce the feature to your local node, but i take no warranty if your core (just the one that is mining of course) burns up in fire because of the evil protection we have built into the network - because three letter agencies wanted us to....

Seriously, what are you guys smoking?

Hashrate comparison:

1 core: 50 kHash/s (~ 50,000 Hash/sec)
Dash network: 5 PHash/s ( == 5,000,000,000,000,000 Hash/sec)

So there are literally 100,000,000,000 cores mining on the network right now, all playing Lotto.

Dash network finds 1 block / 154 seconds, one core will take 100,000,000,000 times longer (on average)
Thats 15,400,000,000,000 seconds, or (shorter) 488330.80 years.

Yes, you can find a block in 10 minutes on one core, but thats very, veeeeeeery unlikely. Have fun!

Sorry, the scale in the Dash network are 10³ greater than what I understood before starting this thread.

I'm still trying to figure it out.

Keeping a single core mining is worthy in the sense of it being the same as buying a lottery ticket?

Showing the numbers (fixed, after you sent them above):

Considering a lottery with 60 numbers, 6 numbers match, the chances are almost 1:50,063,860 and a prize of 25,000,000 USD (once a week)
Considering the current block reward 3.10662692 (91,89 USD right now) Dash and a chance of 1:100,000,000,000 (every 2,6 minutes)

Considering each block a draw, then I need to divide the chance for a block by the number of draws during a week, which translates into 25,793,650

Risk X Reward shows that it's better to buy a lottery ticket.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back