• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Seeking Members for a E-Commerce DAO Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Marketplace Project
One of the most promising use cases of blockchain technology has been decentralized marketplaces for services like Airbnb and Amazon. So far current projects like Openbazaar have failed to create a sophisticated marketplace which is appealing to everyday shoppers. Disregarding some of its other shortcomings, any marketplace like this is doomed to minimal use when there are cheaper alternatives. Rather then just a listings market like Ebay, I'd like to see a all-in-one marketplace that leverages listings from multi-billion dollar companies such as Amazon and Walmart to give shopper's the best price. Major apps similar to this are what's going to help drive widespread adoption of crypto.

Right now I am seeking volunteers who would like to help in researching and refining this concept. This would be a longterm undertaking and if it gets off the ground I see myself as only being an assistant project manager. This is not a dark marketplace but the vision is to keep the structure as decentralized and autonomous as possible. Once we have a preemptive plan for a management structure and development we can submit a Dash proposal.

We'll see where this goes.

Project Signup: Google Document
Project Brainstorm (freely editable): Google Document
Project Discord: https://discord.gg/mBJavxE

Creating a successful marketplace is extremely diffucult, because you have to sell to at least two segments of customers. At the same time.

Why do you consider your project different?

Creating a successful marketplace is extremely diffucult, because you have to sell to at least two segments of customers. At the same time.

Why do you consider your project different?

You make a good point. Marketing and customer acquisition is one of the largest barriers to entry for any market. You need incentives for the buyer and seller.

When you look at the major online sellers Amazon, Walmart and Ebay you see markets that are focused on furthering itself - they want you to buy on their site and use their payment methods. In contrast to Openbazaar, who's approach has some advantages but overall it is restricted to an extremely small minority in the grand scheme of ecommerce.

This project is different because it will be maintained by a DAO who's focus is a neutral marketplace that connects buyers to the best option online. Seller fees will be minimal, only enough to continue operations for the DAO. The goal is to not only allow users to post their own listings but present a comparison of other listings from leading retailers and create a crypto payment route if they do wish to buy from them. At the end of the day buyers are loyal to the cheapest and most convenient option while sellers only need to know a name and address once they receive payment.

Google's shopping tab gives you somewhat of a visual of what I have in mind when a buyer would want to make a purchase (replacing the shop button with a instant buy button):
QQJ4ozb.jpg

As for examples of the DAO governance structure, I am considering a central wallet like Dash's treasury which sends out payments based on a number of factors. Certain listings under categories for say electronics will have a number of moderators based on factors including the number of current active listings. Anyone who is willing to put a set amount into a deposit contract can become a moderator and gains reputation if they continue to make decisions that the majority of moderators deem appropriate. As they continue to make appropriate decisions they gain reputation and might earn more than an entry moderator, depending on the current amount in the central wallet. If their intentions are disingenuous the system will recognize this, burn their deposit and remove their status.

Overall having an internal community that is working for buyers rather than a company is the main advantage of this marketplace.

I understand the direction you're going, but don't get how you plan to reach it.

When you look at the major online sellers Amazon, Walmart and Ebay you see markets that are focused on furthering itself - they want you to buy on their site and use their payment methods. In contrast to Openbazaar, who's approach has some advantages but overall it is restricted to an extremely small minority in the grand scheme of ecommerce.

Why do you thing OB is restricted? Not counting it being in beta and bitcoin-only...

This project is different because it will be maintained by a DAO who's focus is a neutral marketplace that connects buyers to the best option online. Seller fees will be minimal, only enough to continue operations for the DAO.

How exactly you're planning to connect to "the best option online"? If fees would only cover the running expences, then what would be the ROI of developing such project?

The goal is to not only allow users to post their own listings but present a comparison of other listings from leading retailers and create a crypto payment route if they do wish to buy from them.

I'm asking that much, because I'm working on somewhat similar idea and know how many troubles are on the way. For example, how you're planning to pay and ship an Amazon product to a DASH payer?

At the end of the day buyers are loyal to the cheapest and most convenient option while sellers only need to know a name and address once they receive payment.

The shipping company needs name and address, seller doesn't :)

As for examples of the DAO governance structure, I am considering a central wallet like Dash's treasury which sends out payments based on a number of factors. Certain listings under categories for say electronics will have a number of moderators based on factors including the number of current active listings. Anyone who is willing to put a set amount into a deposit contract can become a moderator and gains reputation if they continue to make decisions that the majority of moderators deem appropriate. As they continue to make appropriate decisions they gain reputation and might earn more than an entry moderator, depending on the current amount in the central wallet. If their intentions are disingenuous the system will recognize this, burn their deposit and remove their status.

What would be the return on effort investment for moderators? If that would be just score, like in computer games, then we'll attract the corresponding audience and will fail to reach the goal.

Are you familiar with Lean Canvas/ Business Model Canvas? Can you put your idea into this framework, draft version?

Why do you thing OB is restricted? Not counting it being in beta and bitcoin-only...

Lack of customer service. Mods on OB only exist for arbitration purposes since I last checked. And from a retailers perspective having no one to contact is a deal breaker.

How exactly you're planning to connect to "the best option online"? If fees would only cover the running expenses, then what would be the ROI of developing such project?

The current model is to have a sale director who works with businesses to get them a public wallet address that's used for checkout. The ROI would be the utility it adds for dash and not direct compensation. I would like to slowly repay any loans from Dash through a royalty given via market fees.

I'm asking that much, because I'm working on somewhat similar idea and know how many troubles are on the way. For example, how you're planning to pay and ship an Amazon product to a DASH payer?

Ties into my previous answer, and Amazon will continue to handle its own shipping. In the case of major retailers like Amazon there's 0 possibility of getting them on the platform if you charge them fees. The marketplace is essentially another free advertising platform for them.

The shipping company needs name and address, seller doesn't

USPS and retailers need a return address. I suppose you could make it an optional feature for p2p transactions for those interested in anonymity. Openbazaar's arbitration system works in this case which I would like to include for nonretail purchases.

What would be the return on effort investment for moderators? If that would be just score, like in computer games, then we'll attract the corresponding audience and will fail to reach the goal.

The goal is for it be equivalent to holding a minimum wage customer support job. Probably less during release when transaction volume is low, potentially more later on.

Bjj2s09.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back