• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Security of Masternodes

Comodore

I am quite long time lurker on this forum. I wrote that I will do some summary oh HCPP conference. Sorry for the delay this post will be to some extent a summary that I told you about.(I was unfortunately ill for some time after that)

Today I want to start talking about masternodes security. This is an issue I find quite important and the issue of growing importance. All parts of consensus protocol in Dash require way to keep masternode security done extremely well.

In cybersecurity there is always a difference between three things
  1. the cryptography/security of some concept
  2. its implementation
  3. its operation
Dash and its masternodes are required to be strongest in first two parts and the third one is something that effective incentivization should take care of.

The problem is that to start one masternode it is neccesary to have 1000 DASH but to attack someone VPS is many times cheaper and coordinated attacks are something that undermines this brilliant idea.

We need to not only have excelent consensus by design but by implementation as well. This is a level I see Dash being quite weak. Dash is a small market cap currency, the motivation to attack dash is quite low. And for now, those attacks can't really be fatal. Dash is very secure in recent time. Because most critical parts relly on PoW.

I believe @eduffield @AndyDark and many many others are excelent minds yet, I am quite sad to see extremely low amount of academical discussion. I have wrote one already (in czech language), but papers that are thinking about Dash security, concepts and so on are very much nonexistent.

Great amount of time had passed since https://www.dash.org/EVOLUTION/ the publication of these materials.

Discussion of this type is vital to developement. Maybe we need some specialized podcasts related to this. Not only the same marketing speach related to luring investors and new users. We need technical community. It is something that makes for legitimity of coins.

Back to HCPP.
Since December_15 that I started promoting dash in the great bitcoin cummunity in Czech republic I had a lot of sucess, the meetup was great. But the conference took place in the time when news about partnership with Coinfirm were pretty popular. I saw that It had devastating effect on community.

I spent weeks thinking about it and I feel that the solution is having Dash_Core client mixing free and automatic and always ON. It makes sense in the bigger picture as well. The good news is that I have met many people that were investors in Dash and vere quite enthusiastic about Dash.

I hate idiots saying that Dash is a scam, centralized shitcoin or something, they are not only missing the point but are spreading bullshit. Mostly because I look into deeper levels and I see real issues.

@tungfa please, tell me. How is it going with general bytes? I wrote to Karel Kyjovsky without an answer and I saw that you gave him a contant to yourself so I did not escalated it anymore. Are we going to see implementation with instantsend soon or not?

@tungfa please, tell me. How is it going with general bytes? I wrote to Karel Kyjovsky without an answer and I saw that you gave him a contant to yourself so I did not escalated it anymore. Are we going to see implementation with instantsend soon or not?

i did not receive anything from them yet
am waiting on some things and then will reach out to them direct

Back