• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Running a Masternode: Setup, Buying Shares, Earning ‘Interest’

Status
Not open for further replies.

tungfa

Foundation Member
Masternode Owner/Operator
Running a Masternode: Setup, Buying Shares, Earning ‘Interest’
http://bitcoinist.net/masternode-setup-shares-interest/
Dash-Puzzle-pieces.png

Written by: Amanda B. Johnson
2016/06/29 11:53 PM

With a current return-on-investment of 10-18% annually, many are wondering how to launch a Dash masternode. Luckily — unlike in the world of mining — detailed information on how to begin is not difficult to come by. But for interested investors who don’t own 1000 Dash now and won’t in the foreseeable future, what is a protocol-level, decentralized solution for the long-term?

Also read: Incentivized Model a Healthy Way to Encourage Blockchain Growth?
The answer to this question is announced in this video:

Masternode: A Basic Overview
dash-logo-square-300x225.png
A Dash masternode requires only two things: a basic computer and 1000 Dash in a single address. The computer can be a home setup, a Virtual Private Server (VPS), or a masternode-specific VPS.

If one chooses to operate from home, a laptop, desktop, Raspberry Pi 2, or ODroid XU4 will all suffice. For the VPS route, the likes of DigitalOcean, Amazon Web Services, or Vultr all work. And masternode-specific VPS options are currently the following four: Node40, Splawik’s, Masternode.me, and an automated service at Dash.org.ru.

For those without 1000 Dash who are interested in a trusted, third-party solution, Masternode.me sells shares for 25 Dash each, and Splawik’s offers them starting at 50 Dash each.

With regard to the future, a protocol-level, decentralized solution has just been announced: Decentralized Masternode Shares.

This offering will come with Dash’s version 2, and will allow anyone with any amount of Dash to “lock” savings. This amount will then be placed into a pool on the Dash blockchain with the locked amounts of other users, from which any operator can pull to launch another masternode.

The payouts will be split among the savers and operators, and the operators will never have any access to the private keys of users. Users will be able to remove their savings from the account at any time.

Decentralized Masternode Shares will offer a high-yielding, bank-like savings account to anyone who wants one — while the user remains her own bank.

This offering is planned to follow the release of Dash’s Evolution, a “mom-friendly,” web-based wallet offering which will feature usernames, social contact lists, and a BIP 47-like function which sends all username-directed payments to separate addresses for privacy.

Has anyone had experience with the Trusted Masternode Shares in masternode.me ? I'm thinking of investing 25 DASH, but I'd like to hear out someone who has tried it. Being the guy in charge, moocowmoo, a DASH developer, I'd assume he's trust-worthy.

Yes he is. Tried his shared masternode service and works as it should. Very trusted service and person. Recommended by me.
@moocowmoo

@splawik21 Have you heard of @moocowmoo recently? I sent him an email last Thursday saying I wanted in on the MN shares, but haven't received a reply. I'm not sure what the usual turnaround time is. I already have my 25 DASH which I bought a few days ago. Now that DASH is pumping, I want to know if I can start with the MN shares ASAP.

Splawik, if you're more responsive, I'd like to get some shares with you. Dash Detailed's video said the min DASH to participate is 50, but on your thread I see it's down to 25. Is it so? If not I'd like to know now rather than later, as I'll need to purchase 25 more DASH to meet the 50 min shares. Here are my questions:

• I'll just deposit you 25 (50?) DASH from a local wallet to a deposit address you'll give me.
  • I'll get a gpg signed receipt as a proof of deposit.
  • Costs:
    • Initial setup cost = 0.3 DASH
    • Base cost = $9 USD / month in BTC or DASH.
  • I'll need to wait until you find other shares until you gather 1000 in order to implement a Masternode that I can have a share on
    • Question: How much time (roughly) will I need to wait? Days, weeks, months?
  • Do you have an aproximate on the earnings? Moocowmoo had on his site 0.04122395 Dash every 7.6 days net after the hosting and maintenence fees
Thanks,

Yes it`s 25 actually :)and I have my own webpage too ;) things changing...
@moocowmoo is on his holiday AFAIK. Should be back shortly.

@mrearthbound

Sorry for the delay responding.
I'm currently working through a large backlog of requests that piled up while I was on vacation.
I usually get back within a day.

I've emailed you the shares information you requested. Let me know if you have any questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back