• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Reward per Block Mined

ec1warc1

I am just looking at the cover page of an insight install
insight.gif

And I see that a single block has a reward of about 4 dash.

If that is correct, a block of 8 transactions pays the network about $32 dollars in dash. That is just the latest block in the image. Is that correct? Is it sustainable?

"subsidy + fees" with all the blocks paying right around 4 dash - either the subsidy is consistently high - or the fees are consistently high. I suppose the subsidy is the "inflation rate" - and the fee is whatever the users have agreed to pay to make the transaction - correct? Anyway, to have a block with ONE transaction and the block has a reward of 4 dash - it seems economically unsustainable. Would you pay your bank $32 for a transaction? Even if that fee is subsidized, seems like a lot.

block reward = subsidy + fees
so nothing wrong with values > 3.88 - someone just payed quite high fees

Why, did they pay such high fees in this case described ? === Why were fees high for a small block ? Difficulty is in same general range...

Tnx
rc

Fees are NOT payed by the miner per block. Fees are payed TO the miner BY the sender of a transaction at some rate of DASH per kilobyte (at minimum or sender can pay more if he likes to). Fees of all transactions in the block are collected together in coinbase transaction (the first one) to calculate and pay the final reward.
Just go over every transaction in some block e.g. https://explorer.dash.org/block/0000000000017153030015b2e1db2fbc6ac4372d3526cb537912201018189fd4 and you'll see.

Fees are NOT payed by the miner per block. Fees are payed TO the miner BY the sender of a transaction at some rate of DASH per kilobyte (at minimum or sender can pay more if he likes to). Fees of all transactions in the block are collected together in coinbase transaction (the first one) to calculate and pay the final reward.
Just go over every transaction in some block e.g. https://explorer.dash.org/block/0000000000017153030015b2e1db2fbc6ac4372d3526cb537912201018189fd4 and you'll see.

Perhaps I am altruistic, yet I do think fees to a DASH user should be lowest possible, while still providing reasonable incentive to the POS and POW side of DASH.

Would this be flawed ?

Tnx
rc

I think the best way of looking at this is dash's potential. It can easily handle more transactions, and we all are looking forward to the day that hundreds or even thousands of transactions are in a single block. What makes the price high per transaction is that we are still mining blocks with just a few transactions. The market determines the price per dash, and it makes a single block worth a lot, especially when there is just one transaction in it. If it were not worth that, you would pay a few cents for a dash. The market determines the value.

Perhaps I am altruistic, yet I do think fees to a DASH user should be lowest possible, while still providing reasonable incentive to the POS and POW side of DASH.

Would this be flawed ?

Tnx
rc
I have no idea* why someone payed that much, fees are much lower.

* unless he is doing really large number of transactions (could happen if he runs a service) using some old version which had a bug which led to pumping fees over time

Sorry guys, it isn't clear to me what the block reward is a function of. You mention it's a function of the subsidy + fees, but what is the "subsidy"? How is it calculated, and what parameters affect it?

Back