• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Retailer How-To Setup

And see, in here lies the problem...most of us..this goes straight over our heads. There needs to be a simpler way of doing this....without github etc etc. The issue with crypto's is its those that are techies that developing it...but to get it to have utility...it needs to be simpler then PayPal, both in setup and in use.

Can it be done? A clean plug in widget that requires NO tech knowledge?

Yes, mostly. It will always require some tech knowledge due to the nature of FinTech/Crypto-Currency, and what qualifies as "tech knowledge" will vary from person-to-person.

Don't even worry about that pre-generate keys stuff above, it's not needed anyway. Have you tried the WordPress Bitcoin plugin? It pays directly to your Electrum wallet with minimal configuration. That would be extremely trivial to port to Dash for someone who is familiar enough with python.

This stuff's really not as hard as it seems, as long as fiat/KYC isn't involved. The DAPI isn't needed, and it could be done right now, by some enterprising entrepreneurs.

Yes, mostly. It will always require some tech knowledge due to the nature of FinTech/Crypto-Currency, and what qualifies as "tech knowledge" will vary from person-to-person.

Don't even worry about that pre-generate keys stuff above, it's not needed anyway. Have you tried the WordPress Bitcoin plugin? It pays directly to your Electrum wallet with minimal configuration. That would be extremely trivial to port to Dash for someone who is familiar enough with python.

This stuff's really not as hard as it seems, as long as fiat/KYC isn't involved. The DAPI isn't needed, and it could be done right now, by some enterprising entrepreneurs.

with pregenerated wallet address, its safer because you dont keep private key on server, as you can check transaction of the address without the private key.
other good thing is that you can cycle the address to each new customer and regular customer get their own address etc. so will need 2 database files : random-customer-addr.dat and regular-customer-addr.dat. each contain like 10000 adddress or something like that.

the only problem i see is how to present this address and usd value, and i saw how to do it in github with the demo program.

EDIT : just checked
https://wp-ecommerce.net/13-bitcoin-plugins-for-wordpress-e-commerce-site-2586

i guess we can only get register 1 address...
if that so, in theory several ppl can claim that they paid if there are some buyer at the same time while only one actually paid.

Last edited by a moderator:
with pregenerated wallet address, its safer because you dont keep private key on server, as you can check transaction of the address without the private key.
other good thing is that you can cycle the address to each new customer and regular customer get their own address etc. so will need 2 database files : random-customer-addr.dat and regular-customer-addr.dat. each contain like 10000 adddress or something like that.

the only problem i see is how to present this address and usd value, and i saw how to do it in github with the demo program.

if that so, in theory several ppl can claim that they paid if there are some buyer at the same time while only one actually paid.

Wow...this is already above my head. I think all this needs to be in the background....no merchant is going to go through the trouble of trying to understand things like private key and .dat files etc. Its never going to happen. There needs to be a elegant way of doing this for this happen.

Possibly a receipt number would point to a private key...but I don't know what I'm talking about.....it just can't have all this jargon in it for those in the non-techie world.

Wow...this is already above my head. I think all this needs to be in the background....no merchant is going to go through the trouble of trying to understand things like private key and .dat files etc. Its never going to happen. There needs to be a elegant way of doing this for this happen.

Possibly a receipt number would point to a private key...but I don't know what I'm talking about.....it just can't have all this jargon in it for those in the non-techie world.

receipt number shouldnt be the private key :) thats no no...
receipt/invoice number should be predictable ie. increasing number, so its special number for every transaction. maybe wallet address as payment detail on the receipt/invoice.

i guess you can try the wordpress solution atm, its like low hanging fruit. just remember to encrypt wallet on server and move coin quickly to cold wallet after payment confirmed.

Like I mentioned in the beginning... It makes no since if there is no easy way to crypto... No easy utility. I can't send our Web guys on a goose chase for this kind of services. If this is no simple solutions... Then why bother. This leaves me no choice but to withdraw crypto as a solution on the new site. I'll have to make sure to withdraw our winery from the merchant list for the time being as we roll out the new site.

Sucks. But for non techies like me, this kind of shit is a deal breaker.

No, no, no. Use BIP32. Public key derivation means that you get infinite public keys and never expose private keys. You never store private keys on any servers, nor do you have to pre-generate anything.

You don't have to. Ignore that technical stuff, it's not for merchants, and that poster doesn't seem to have a full understanding of all the available tech for use in building out solutions at any rate.

I'm not saying there's an easy solution now, I'm saying that for technical entrepreneurs with enough knowledge in a few areas, it could trivially be built and offered to non-tech users like yourself/your business. I agree that you as a merchant shouldn't be talking about keys at all. We're on the same page.

People have already presented valid options here, and if those don't work for you, just wait a couple months, and you'll see more popping up.

I'm even working through some Dash payments infrastructure ideas in my head now that I plan to put quite a bit of time into, once I get it architected and on paper, and then get some time freed up for implementing tasks and get a team pulled together.

No, no, no. Use BIP32. Public key derivation means that you get infinite public keys and never expose private keys. You never store private keys on any servers, nor do you have to pre-generate anything.

You don't have to. Ignore that technical stuff, it's not for merchants, and that poster doesn't seem to have a full understanding of all the available tech for use in building out solutions at any rate.

I'm not saying there's an easy solution now, I'm saying that for technical entrepreneurs with enough knowledge in a few areas, it could trivially be built and offered to non-tech users like yourself/your business. I agree that you as a merchant shouldn't be talking about keys at all. We're on the same page.

People have already presented valid options here, and if those don't work for you, just wait a couple months, and you'll see more popping up.

I'm even working through some Dash payments infrastructure ideas in my head now that I plan to put quite a bit of time into, once I get it architected and on paper, and then get some time freed up for implementing tasks and get a team pulled together.

thats awesome :)

Like I mentioned in the beginning... It makes no since if there is no easy way to crypto... No easy utility. I can't send our Web guys on a goose chase for this kind of services. If this is no simple solutions... Then why bother. This leaves me no choice but to withdraw crypto as a solution on the new site. I'll have to make sure to withdraw our winery from the merchant list for the time being as we roll out the new site.

Sucks. But for non techies like me, this kind of shit is a deal breaker.

none techi
get the iPhone App and done
:wink:

It may seem funny... But I'm quite serious. I come from an industry that has perfected the "Ivory Tower" syndrome. Wine makers and owner's who create and run luxury brands live in that vaulted rarefied air. It's what fuels our egos and business. Techies in no small way also have their own Ivory Tower.... But let us make no mistake... It's the isheep of the world that run their life's through their iPhones that will fuel any major revolution in what we use as currency. The sooner we can make dash and other crypto easier to use or implement the sooner we can see real change.

In the mean time, it's going to be small businesses like me that will start the ball rolling. Make it easy.... And they will come!

Make it easy vs Security
is the issue !

evolution will change that whole game, but sure that is too long down the road for you.
i think (and recommend) mobile apps ! easiest to use, flexible and mobile, i am using mine all the time now (specially as i can pay any BTC address (coffee shop) right away from Dash Wallet (Shapeshift integrated)

Back