• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Restoring a Backup

Last Monday I accidently left my laptop on a train. I reported it lost, and anyone turning the laptop on could see my email address on the lock screen to contact me, but 6 days later I have heard nothing.

Nearly all my data was on cloud storage, EXCEPT my Darkcoin. I created a Backup a while back, when my balance was something like 37DRK, but at the time I lost it I had just over 48DRK.

I have a copy of the backup which I saved to cloud storage. Not having restored a wallet before I have a few questions:

1. As I understand it I just replace the wallet.dat file in my current Darkcoin-Qt installation (new installation with balance of 0), with the backed up wallet.dat file. Is this correct?
2. Will it just restore the balance that was there at the time of backup, or all of my DRK?

Thanks

You would simply place the backup wallet in your.darkcoin directory. All the addresses that had a balance in them will be restored. If you ever made new addresses after the backup, they will be lost.

You would simply place the backup wallet in your.darkcoin directory. All the addresses that had a balance in them will be restored. If you ever made new addresses after the backup, they will be lost.

I believe there are a certain number (around 100) hidden secondary addressed that are created when you generate a new wallet - when you "create a new address" you actually use one of those already created addresses. So when you back up your wallet you are also backing up all of those hidden addresses. When you create a new address it will be backed up - until you run out of pre-generated addresses then your wallet will start making brand new addresses that will not be present on your backup - at which point you would need to create a new wallet backup to save those addresses. Evan could probably clarify this.

Yah, so it's unlikely, unless you've been making a ton of transactions since your last backup, that you will have used them up :) But keep transactions in mind when deciding your backup schedule. I'd back up after, say 25 known transactions because you'll use another address, I believe, every time you send or receive with darksend :)

Addresses of transactions? You can have infinite transactions to one address, why 25? Maybe a darksend feature, but even still makes no sense to me... I think they mean the wallet already has the first 100 addresses generated, so a backup will contain these. Only when generating wallet address nº101 you need to make a new backup.

Is this correct?

Someone else has the same wallet.dat, so before they crack your password you'll want to move your coins. Not to the next receive address generated by the same program/wallet, since that's just one of the pre-generated addresses which will also be in the laptop's wallet.dat.

Someone else has the same wallet.dat, so before they crack your password you'll want to move your coins. Not to the next receive address generated by the same program/wallet, since that's just one of the pre-generated addresses which will also be in the laptop's wallet.dat.

Yes I will move them, but I doubt they have access to the file. The laptop is running Windows 8, and I am signed in with my Microsoft account. If someone guesses that password (unlikely, 9 character long, numbers and letters) and logs in I can see at account.live.com (assuming they connect to the internet). But I know someone really determined could hack in or remove the hard drive probably get the files off, so I will move them.

Also, the wallet is encrypted, with a VERY strong password.

Back