• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Rename Dash Core Group

GrandMasterDash

Masternode Owner/Operator
https://app.dashnexus.org/proposals/507d9221-b78a-422d-9f9d-9646e45f69a6/overview

Dash is sometimes unfairly viewed as a centralized or semi-centralized project. This may well be down to poor journalism, not highlighting the separation of the Dash treasury and it's hiring of a group to meet it's business and protocol development needs. It doesn't help when a journalist incorrectly refers to Ryan Taylor as "the CEO of Dash".

With other crypto projects, the development groups have distinctive names without direct association to the project itself. For example, Company0 is responsible for the Decred project, and IOHK is responsible for Cardano and others.

I propose that Dash Core Group Inc rename, to anything of their choosing, so long as it does not contain the word "dash".

It is hoped that Dash Core Group take this action voluntarily without this proposal going ahead.

Please take this discussion to Dash Nexus
https://app.dashnexus.org/proposals/507d9221-b78a-422d-9f9d-9646e45f69a6/overview

Thank you.

bad lazy journalism is still and always be bad lazy journalism
ryan is listed as CEO, so they refer to Ceo of Dash (as that is what the n00bs understand and can comprehend)
changing the name of Core Group will not make any difference ,
only confuse the market further, as then they refer to " R T CEO of xyz Core Group, which manages Dash " !?
or they even leave the dash out all together ..... does not make any sense to me o_O

Well that's funny, I never heard of anyone getting confused over the CEO (or "head") of decred or cardano, both of which have governance models. Go check their forums sometime and show me where it happens.

they started as independent companies developing cryptos
we are / were a core team (building up naturally around evan back then)
i belive there is a big difference between the 2

I think Dash Core Group (DCG) is actually a very fitting description and i dont see much reason to change that specific name into something else, specially when there is already brandname regnonition built with it.
Only the job titles that Dash Core Group uses internally (and seems keen to promote also externally), run the risk of getting associated with centralized business aspects.

On the other hand Dash Core Group does not exactly hide their attempt of trying to integrate a (centralized) business approach, into a decentralized organisation....

I do see a bigger role for marketing in the future, to strengthen Dash brandname and its corporate identity, so this unfair association with centralization can be combatted and weakened.

Last edited:
Journalists generally are incompetent fools and/or professional liars and political activists. I am certainly open to DCG changing their name. WHERE ARE THE DOCILE PR AGENCY PPL ON THIS MATTER?

Journalists generally are incompetent fools and/or professional liars and political activists. I am certainly open to DCG changing their name. WHERE ARE THE DOCILE PR AGENCY PPL ON THIS MATTER?

I agree, it would be helpful to hear their point of view.

In this recent interview with BlockTV, the presenter introduces "the CEO of Dash" (at 49 seconds).
https://blocktv.com/watch/2019-02-19/5c6c2c222b608-fireside-chat-dash-ceo-pumped-for-major-update

Indeed, the text overlay says, "one-on-one with Dash CEO Ryan Taylor".

This is eventually corrected by the presenter near the end of the video.

This is one of many times where Ryan is having to explain that DCG is a separate entity, funded and voted by the dash dao. This is not an isolated incident.

I'm laying here the facts, though I suspect it's futile.

I really don't see why so many people are bent out of shape about people misunderstanding Ryan's position within the network. I think it's great that the professionalism of DCG is often people's first exposure to Dash and that they do a fantastic job of representing the network in that capacity. Even misunderstandings like this are a prime opportunity to educate people about Dash and its unprecedented governance structure. I really see it as a technicality that is a non-issue that will eventually disappear the more exposure Dash gets.

I really don't see why so many people are bent out of shape about people misunderstanding Ryan's position within the network. I think it's great that the professionalism of DCG is often people's first exposure to Dash and that they do a fantastic job of representing the network in that capacity. Even misunderstandings like this are a prime opportunity to educate people about Dash and its unprecedented governance structure. I really see it as a technicality that is a non-issue that will eventually disappear the more exposure Dash gets.

I agree. You, me, and all other MNOs understand the reality. In an ideal world, I wouldn't care less if they had "dash" in their name, or not. But this proposal / concept is based on what I see outside the dash bubble. Countless times, I've seen people become fans of dash once they overcome the FUD of centralization / instamine. And countless times I've watched as Ryan has to - once again - explain to people that DCG is a separately funded organization.

The link I posted above is not an isolated example. Yes, education is important, but also expensive in terms of time and money. DCG changing their name might be a relatively cheap way to lead people in the right direction. I am not saying this is a done deal, but I do know, if we don't try, we may never know. Would it really cause more harm than good to try? At the very least, it would be nice to hear the opinion of those involved in PR.

I agree. You, me, and all other MNOs understand the reality. In an ideal world, I wouldn't care less if they had "dash" in their name, or not. But this proposal / concept is based on what I see outside the dash bubble. Countless times, I've seen people become fans of dash once they overcome the FUD of centralization / instamine. And countless times I've watched as Ryan has to - once again - explain to people that DCG is a separately funded organization.

The link I posted above is not an isolated example. Yes, education is important, but also expensive in terms of time and money. DCG changing their name might be a relatively cheap way to lead people in the right direction. I am not saying this is a done deal, but I do know, if we don't try, we may never know. Would it really cause more harm than good to try? At the very least, it would be nice to hear the opinion of those involved in PR.

I'm aware that this happens frequently, but what I'm saying is that I do not believe that the frequency with which this occurs really correlates or contributes to FUD regarding perceived centralization. I think the two are unrelated or at least non-causal in nature. I do agree that education and understanding can often win people over, but I don't think this is a particularly important front in that war for better awareness and understanding, and if anything--as I said--serves as a prime opportunity to engage and educate people.

Back