• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Regarding the 5 Dash proposal fee

Darren

I wish to provide some facts and what I think are helpful approaches to a perceived problem.

Concern/Problem:

The 5 DASH fee for proposals may prevent helpful projects from seeking funding from the network.

History:

This was brought up quite a while ago. I think Dash was around $500 at that time. There was two proposals put to the network and those proposals were voted down, hard.

A proposal was put to the network for DashBoost. This proposal was funded for quite a while. DashBoost was a platform funded by the DAO that would fund several smaller projects. Excuse me if I'm scant on the details. However DashBoost did help address the Concern/Problem above.

Technology:

In early bitcoin days, back when Mike Hearn was still a bitcoin core developer. Mike Hearn promoted what he called the lighthouse project. It was a very simple change to bitcoin that allowed people to donate to a project, and the project didn't get funded until enough people promised to donate to the project. Today, I believe that Bitcoin Cash uses this technology for what they call Flipstarters. The original lighthouse project did not require a fork, in fact it only required one node with modified software to run.

Upshot:

I think Dash make porting over the Lighthouse project a low to medium priority.

If some type of DashBoost was to restart, I think it could be combined with a flipstarter type situation, so DashBoost would only need to make up the difference that wasn't funded directly with donations.

Last edited:
Dash has been operating for six years now with that 5 Dash proposal fee, i just see very little evidence that point to the 5 DASH fee preventing helpful projects from seeking funding from the network. The number of budget proposals differ from month to month, just because this month has fewer budget proposals presented to the network, does not mean the 5 Dash fee is to blame for that.

The 5 Dash fee did not prevent helpful projects from seeking funding throughout the whole Dash bull market when Dash price was much much higher (up to $1600), so why would it now suddenly form a problem at the height of our current Dash bear market and with our current low Dash price ($124) ?
Makes no sense to me. Maybe once Dash is in the middle of a Dash bullrun, it will start to make sense to me, but not now. Not with the current Dash price.
The 5 Dash fee provide good protection against spamming of decision proposals and against low value budget proposals.

If people want to restart the DashBoost budget proposal, that is fine with me (not sure how i will vote on it ), but i do think we need to understand more about why it got defunded at the end, before even thinking about restarting it.

Last edited:
Dash has been operating for six years now with that 5 Dash proposal fee, i just see very little evidence that point to the 5 DASH fee preventing helpful projects from seeking funding from the network. The number of budget proposals differ from month to month, just because this month has fewer budget proposals presented to the network, does not mean the 5 Dash fee is to blame for that.

The 5 Dash fee did not prevent helpful projects from seeking funding throughout the whole Dash bull market when Dash price was much much higher (up to $1600), so why would it now suddenly form a problem at the height of our current Dash bear market and with our current low Dash price ($124) ?
Makes no sense to me. Maybe once Dash is in the middle of a Dash bullrun, it will start to make sense to me, but not now. Not with the current Dash price.
The 5 Dash fee provide good protection against spamming of decision proposals and against low value budget proposals.

If people want to restart the DashBoost budget proposal, that is fine with me (not sure how i will vote on it ), but i do think we need to understand more about why it got defunded at the end, before even thinking about restarting it.

Dash Boost got defunded because some MNOs decided to game the platform, that can be fixed, but I still think microproposals have a place in the Dash ecosystem.

I think if we restart something like Dash Boost it should work similar to Gitcoin Grants.

Though I think more projects similar to Dash Incubator could also solve this issue.

What are the cons of lowering the proposal fee? It should lead to having more proposals, which I think is a good thing if they are reviewed carefully.

What are the cons of lowering the proposal fee? It should lead to having more proposals, which I think is a good thing if they are reviewed carefully.
Totally agree. More proposal can mean more work but on the other hand we should not limit ourselves for getting ideas. Who knows if we miss a great idea due to the high fee.

One possibility I would suggest is to leave the fee at 5 Dash, but the DAO should return the 5 dash if the Yes votes > No votes. That way truly bad proposals / spam are still disincentivized, but decent proposals that attracted support but didn't attain enough of a supermajority, won't get punished for trying.

That being said, the 5 dash is not a magic number; and if the price of Dash reaches all time highs again, requiring over $5000 to submit a proposal seems excessive to me. So I might support a general reduction as well.

One of the main issues to me is that the high fee incentivizes fewer, larger proposals. Back during the peak of the bull run in 2017/2018 I believe we had some months where there were over 40-50 active proposals up for voting at any given time. Asking MNOs to evaluate 50+, 100+ proposals per month and expecting them to be able to evaluate them all properly is just not feasible, so we might need to be careful about lowering the fee too far.

One of the main issues to me is that the high fee incentivizes fewer, larger proposals. Back during the peak of the bull run in 2017/2018 I believe we had some months where there were over 40-50 active proposals up for voting at any given time. Asking MNOs to evaluate 50+, 100+ proposals per month and expecting them to be able to evaluate them all properly is just not feasible, so we might need to be careful about lowering the fee too far.
Sorry but i dont think money should hinder new ideas to come in. Look at Cardano and how many ideas they get. Good ones will eventually rise up.

I dont think 1 dash is "nothing" either. So if someone is willing to throw away 100+ dollar for an idea so be it. Just my view of it.

Back