• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Questions about Paper Wallet Best Practice

Tarak

When using paper.dash.org offline to generate public/private key pairs, is there a risk that the private key won't work, e.g. due to an infrequent quirk of the program? Note: question is not about human error, but the program itself spitting out a private key that doesn't work.

Is it better to confirm you have access by spending a small amount of money from a paper wallet before transferring larger amounts of money to the paper wallet?.... If yes, is there a way to do that securely? After all, the whole point of a paper wallet is for long-term storage that is secured from potential keyloggers/spyware on one's computer.

Thanks.

For me, I will recommend people use hardware wallet to generate "paper wallet" I.e. Using the recovery seed as form of paper wallet. You can make sure it is spendable, and malware-proof.

使用Tapatalk 發送

recommend people use hardware wallet

I agree. If you are trying to secure a large amount of dash, you should invest in a hardware wallet. A paper wallet generated online from a trusted source is OK, but it is not gold standard.

If you are concerned about the security of a paper wallet to the extent that you feel the need to test the private key, then you should be switching to a hardware wallet.

IMO a paper wallet's private key should only be read and used once, at the act of sweeping (transferring it to a wallet).
(as side note - paper "wallet" is a misnomer, since it's not really a wallet, just a key pair)

Back