• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Quadratic voting

sangoku

Glen Weyl has uploaded a new version of his paper, Quadratic Voting (written with Steven Lalley), to SSRN, which now includes the completed proofs. Quadratic voting is the most important idea for law and public policy that has emerged from economics in (at least) the last ten years.

Quadratic voting is a procedure that a group of people can use to jointly choose a collective good for themselves. Each person can buy votes for or against a proposal by paying into a fund the square of the number of votes that he or she buys. The money is then returned to voters on a per capita basis. Weyl and Lalley prove that the collective decision rapidly approximates efficiency as the number of voters increases. By contrast, no extant voting procedure is efficient. Majority rule based on one-person-one-vote notoriously results in tyranny of the majority–a large number of people who care only a little about an outcome prevail over a minority that cares passionately, resulting in a reduction of aggregate welfare.

The applications to law and public policy are too numerous to count. In many areas of the law, we rely on highly imperfect voting systems (corporate governance, bankruptcy) that are inferior to quadratic voting. In other areas of the law, we require judges or bureaucrats to make valuations while knowing they are not in any position to do so (environmental regulation, eminent domain). Quadratic voting can be used to supply better valuations that aggregate private information of dispersed multitudes. But the most important setting is democracy itself. An incredibly complicated system of institutional self-checking (separation of powers, federalism) and judicially enforced constitutional rights try to correct for the defects of one-person-one-vote, but do so very badly. Can quadratic voting do better? Glen and I argue that it can.

http://ericposner.com/quadratic-voting/

Hi!
You can read this gitter room discussing governance mechanism from the Ethereum team https://gitter.im/ethereum/governance
Or its short and structured version here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gnwLUjbWtohcegCdlv5ojSuvCvMGjlpZVkJVJ8qb4SU/edit?pref=2&pli=1#

My personal opinion is that voting power is needed to be redistributed (in future at least), but I don't like quadratic voting for that because it is not sybill atack resistant (not a problem in DASH now) and it doesn't redistibute power based on wisdom and skill. I like Simple Vote Buying which is quite exact same thing we have in DASH right now (except minimum 1000 DASH + masternode barrier).

But I think Simple Vote Buying should be (in future) paired with some redistribution. For example, if a decision is accepted through voting process then some of the proponent's 1000 DASH should go to opponents and/or abstainers. It is like you are buying decisions. if decisions you've bought are wise you'll get reimbursed eventually through DASH price rising. In case of buying bad decisions you will suffer more then opponents and abstainers who are reimbursed by the additional DASH came from you and other proponents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!
You can read this gitter room discussing governance mechanism from the Ethereum team https://gitter.im/ethereum/governance
Or its short and structured version here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gnwLUjbWtohcegCdlv5ojSuvCvMGjlpZVkJVJ8qb4SU/edit?pref=2&pli=1#

My personal opinion is that voting power is needed to be redistributed (in future at least), but I don't like quadratic voting for that because it is not sybill atack resistant (not a problem in DASH now) and it doesn't redistibute power based on wisdom and skill. I like Simple Vote Buying which is quite exact same thing we have in DASH right now (except minimum 1000 DASH + masternode barrier).

But I think Simple Vote Buying should be (in future) paired with some redistribution. For example, if a decision is accepted through voting process then some of the proponent's 1000 DASH should go to opponents and/or abstainers. It is like you are buying decisions. if decisions you've bought are wise you'll get reimbursed eventually through DASH price rising. In case of buying bad decisions you will suffer more then opponents and abstainers who are reimbursed by the additional DASH came from you and other proponents.

But if "yes" voters got charged a fee like that, while "no" and "abstainers" got paid, wouldn't it just result in nobody voting?

But if "yes" voters got charged a fee like that, while "no" and "abstainers" got paid, wouldn't it just result in nobody voting?
That is true. What if only opponents got paid? That would improve votings statistics instead.

Pretty damned interesting, cheers. It's kind of like reading Satoshis paper, an elegant simplicity that hits the nail square on the head, issues are bound to come to light with use in just the same way but it seems miles ahead of simple ballots.

I've been wracking my brain trying to see how it could fit in with what's being discussed in this thread:
https://dashtalk.org/threads/pre-proposal-discussion-jury-duty.8243/
I'd suggested submitting condensed proposals with a prior stage of regular voting for them to be included into the final budget voting to save space and avoid an overwhelming number of proposals but on reflection that would be better done as a lower/upper house type setup with votes from regular user deciding what's included but I can't see how that could fit with quadratic voting without leaving lots of scope for gaming the system :/ Idk, very interested to hear of any real-world examples of quadratic voting though.

EDIT: Maybe something with accounts via the DAPI, selecting a few percent of total users at random to participate in a quadratic vote to decide inclusion of a submitted proposal, kind of like a lottery that could pay out very well on anything hotly contended.

EDIT: Oops, if that's applied to the masternodes it gives an exponential saving on the cost of votes as more MNs are owned too.

Back