• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal - DASH HBCU CAMPUS TOUR 2018

ayo_brezzy

Removed by user :)

This proposal will be submitted next round by my teammate. Thank you all for your weigh in.

Last edited:
Reactions: JZA
I love this idea, the price is a bit steep thought. For a first time proposal I will try to start with a pilot and smaller budget. But besides that, in the long run, I think this should be covered.

A small question is how will those people engage with DASH? Will they need to get them to buy their ticket, the amenities at the event, any other activity?

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the input. I did think about that. And from a guaranteed success position, a spring pilot for fall full roll out would probably position the campaign stronger!

I love this idea, the price is a bit steep thought. For a first time proposal I will try to start with a pilot and smaller budget. But besides that, in the long run, I think this should be covered.

A small question is how will those people engage with DASH? Will they need to get them to buy their ticket, the amenities at the event, any other activity?

As far as new users go, we wanted to use a mix of marketing;
Ticket purchase w/ discounts for new accounts
Dash booths - selling merchandise
Team blitzes for meetups - winning team gets a dash (sorority/fraternity are non-profits)
Mining games

I think the block chain showdown tournament has great potential among the engineering schools and programs

Also, the top goal in this project would be to add DASH as an approved payment at each HBCU. The impact for the community is the ease of transfer. Economically many students come from poor backgrounds. The cost to family and friends to send their students financial support is very high. Many schools are in small cities, we also have a far portion of students from developing African nations.

I hope this sufficiently answers that question

Dear Breanna (@ayo_brezzy),

thank you for reaching out to me for sponsoring the Proposal Fee.

I wasn't able to see the King of Wakanda yet, but I'm planning to in the near future. So you found at least one Marvel fan here ;)

Unfortunately I have to decline your request. Your proposal violates two of my rules (It's marketing and asks for more than 150 DASH).

I wanted to use the opportunity to give you some feedback on your proposal, since you seemed to be very motivated, which is the kind of spirit I'm looking for in future proposal owners.
I apologize in advance if something is formulated harsh, but English is my second language. I'm very cheerful while I'm writing this :)

Hi, I'm Breanna and this is my proposal.
Nice to meet you too, but I'm no Richard Roundtree, so it would be nice if I wouldn't have to do detective work to get your prior work experience (accountant) and why you are qualified to do this kind of project (former alumni of a HBCU). Do you have links to a public profile so we can verify? (linkedin or other).

Funding: 675 total (45/305/335) 3 month engagement
As JZA already pointed out, I also would recommend starting smaller and maybe with only one HBCU Event.
Also please provide a more detailed budget.

PROJECT DESCRIPTION:

Our project will create a fun-tainment tour visiting 5 regions and engaging with 91 HBCUs (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) in order to target the future leaders in business and technology, as well as promote the economic benefit of DASH (digital currency) to a currently untapped population. While engaging our team aims to initiate DASH as an approved payment option at all 91 HBCUs. And film the process for a web series that will begin airing weekly Sunday, April 15th 2018 through June 3rd, 2018.

· Why HBCU’s?

Defined by the Higher Education Act of 1965, an HBCU is simply stated:

“…any historically black college or university that was established prior to 1964, whose principal mission was, and is, the education of black Americans”

And though that definition works, ask any graduate of an HBCU and they will tell it you that’s is so much more. As a graduate of Norfolk State University, it was my Wakanda.

African American’s as a demographic are a key community with all marketing and advertising done in this country. And as evidenced by the recent film ‘Black Panther’s’ box office success [$400 Million opening weekend], we yearn to support products that value our unique identity and voice.

Dash’s placement as the first crypto currency to target our community, not just for our dollar, but as a partner in educational and economic advancement would make DASH the digital currency of choice for 43 million African American’s.

Link: African-Americans Demographic and Consumer Spending Trends Report - Research and Markets
I like your reasoning and have to agree. It is an interesting demographic. Maybe you could elaborate more on the following two points:
  • How do you want to get all 91 HBCUs to accept DASH as a payment option for tuition if they already are making a steady paycheck with government guaranteed student loan debt? Provide a more detailed plan
  • Are you going to film the documentary and coordinate the marketing? Who is your Shuri? Introduce us to your team.
  • The link to the Spending Trends report isn't there. (Might be because you are a new member, try adding the link again)

1.) 29th Annual Honda Campus All-Star Challenge National Quiz bowl Tournament (4/7 to 4/11).
[...]
Planned DASH events there include a “Golden DASH” scavenger hunt (Think Harry Potter’s Snitch), collectible Dash pins, history of currency pop up quizzes (like we REALLY love trivia). The Winner of each competition win .29 Dash (to commemorate the tournaments year).
How much does sponsoring this event take from your planned budget?
What kind of reach does this Quiz Bowl have? Only local? If Yes how many attendees can be expected? Link?
Also a little bit more detail on the "Golden DASH" would be nice.

2.) Hampton University Film Invitational (4/18/2018)

Hampton University, home of the school that provided the backdrop to the household famous television series “A Different World”, will engage its Liberal Arts college in a campus wide competition. Through relationships with Hampton University DASH will extend the reach to be a “Battle of the Bays” invitational for all the Virginia HBCUs. (Hampton, Norfolk State, Virginia State, Elizabeth City, and Virginia Union). Gearing up for the event we will advertise through Hampton University Grad, DJ Envy for promotion via social media and or ‘the breakfast club”. The Breakfast Club is a top 20 syndicated morning radio show that is simulcast on iHeartRadio, Revolt TV, and YouTube.
Similar to the previous point. You described the reach of your promotion campaign but not of the "Battle of the Bays". As I understand it it's some kind of Film Festival? Please elaborate and add the budget.
Also a link would help a lot, since MNOs might not be in or from the US.

3.) Regional BlockChain ShowDown (May 2018)

In utilizing technology, we will create a simulated BlockChain competition. Teams will work to earn points based on speed of completion and degree of difficulty. Final 4, Semi Final, and Grand Prize Winner will be awarded in Dash style and filmed at their campus for that week’s web series.
Is this a new event that you will create or is it an established one? Do you have experience in holding a hackathon? Do you have a background in blockchain programming or someone on your team who has this skill?
And again: Budget is missing.

4.) National Divine Dash (May 2018)

If you’ve seen “Stomp the Yard”, “Burning Sands” or “School Daze” you may know how important the National PanHellenic Council (otherwise known as the Divine 9) is to our schools and communities. The nine fraternities and sororities that comprise the committee represent a total of approximately $1.5 million college age or graduate members throughout the world. My sorority, for example, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated, was the first to charter a chapter in Monrovia, Liberia, Africa. The primary purpose and focus of member organizations remains camaraderie and academic excellence for its members and service to the communities they serve. This competition will be open to all undergraduate chapter (not just HBCU’s) to bring awareness and educate their campus on Dash and digital currency. The top 10 chapters nationwide will win DASH to fund chapter activities in the upcoming school year.
(I've actually seen Stomp the Yard, always gets me pumped when they are training in the empty pool. That's the magic of Timbaland I guess. The second one was unfortunately kinda forgettable.)

I understand the concept of sororities but I really don't know what a "chapter" in this context means. Is this some kind of a stepping dance battle? Maybe you can elaborate a little bit more on what National Divine Dash is, for people who are not from an (US) academic background.
Recurring theme: Budget is MIA.

Engagement Stats

· Campuses – 91 HBCUs and 2,000 (estimated) campuses w/ one or more D9 chapter

· Partnership with Honda – 28,000 American employees, 211,000 worldwide

· Viral potential – HIGH
A large number of celebrity HBCU alumni known for promoting academic excellence from fellow Alum. They include names such as; Steve Harvey, Sean ‘Puff Daddy’ Combs, Oprah Winfrey, Spike Lee, Eryka Badu, Taraji P. Henson, Common, Samuel L. Jackson, Ryan Coogler and Chadwick Boseman.

· Educational – 42% of all African Americans in Engineering and Science attended an HBCU

All comments on viability to the MNO's appreciated!
These are good points, but again, how do you come to play?
I know Honda has 211,000 employees worldwide. Do they all come to the Quiz bowl? ;)

If you can guarantee that Samuel L. Jackson will promote this with "I need some motherf*cking DASH in my motherf*cking wallet!" you'll have a lot of Yes votes on your hand.

So to summarize:
  • Add a detailed Budget Plan
  • Who are you?
  • Who are your Team members?
  • More explanations (from a Non-US Standpoint)
If you can incorporate my feedback and revise your proposal, you'll most likely win the heart of the DAO.

Best Regards from Germany

AnCapitol

I think you improve the information on yourself and the feeling behind the project however you downplay the financial distribution and details on what you want to actually do. Please try to keep this central to the proposal, since the most important part of this process is that...
a) we learn from you and your background
b) we figure out how much you want and how will it be broken down so it makes sense

Having a video of you (not important now but maybe by the time you launch it) give us a sense of reality. Please review other proposals from dashcentral.org to learn how many winiing proposals have got there.

I think you improve the information on yourself and the feeling behind the project however you downplay the financial distribution and details on what you want to actually do. Please try to keep this central to the proposal, since the most important part of this process is that...
a) we learn from you and your background
b) we figure out how much you want and how will it be broken down so it makes sense

Having a video of you (not important now but maybe by the time you launch it) give us a sense of reality. Please review other proposals from dashcentral.org to learn how many winiing proposals have got there.
All in process. I wanted to spend this time balancing my abilities with serving the purpose.

My video will be added as soon as I know I have adjusted and supplied all necessary items.

The thing I did notice is that all successful proposals seemed to have been guided by the pre-proposal process. So I wanted to utilize that to the best of my ability.

As an accountant numbers matter and I don’t like to give inaccurate or in flux numbers. My updated proposal and budget will be posted today.

Reactions: JZA
Awesome just make sure to update your first post... That way is easier to follow and not be confused by different versions of the proposal through out the discussion thread.

This is exactly the kind of thing I want to see Dash doing, especially with your long-term goals and target demographics.

I echo some of the other concerns voiced already about the scope of this proposal, that's a lot of very different events covering a long span of time, a huge swathe of the nation, and a lot of work for just three people. At the same time, though, that's a strength of this proposal, because it provides so many opportunities to reach so many people in so many different settings and contexts. I do hope you'll be enlisting the aid of more than just your small team, because that's a huge undertaking.

I suspect your chances of being funded would increase if these were offered as individual, successive proposals, but breaking it down by month is a slightly more risky but still better alternative than asking for it all upfront, as the network would have some risk mitigation in that way if things didn't work out on either end.

The "viral" potential that you list is an unknown factor, but one with potentially huge implications, so I think if the first proposal/first month goes well, even though the second two are kind of bordering on the historical upper limit for event sponsorship proposals, it would be a really great proposal to fund.

One thing that I would like to see more about is explicitly how you plan to use the Dash you're asking for. The Dash prizes/donations are pretty straightforward, what about these markets and games and what not you mention? How will Dash factor in to these, how are you planning on integrating Dash in to tickets and what not at the point of sale? Have you contacted anyone from these organizations or anyone from Dash Core or Volunteers in getting these organizations onboarded with Dash at Point of Sale?

I definitely want this proposal to succeed. Let's make it happen.

Hello! It's a great idea, with more education, we can reach more Dash adoption. I see it's a very ambitious project with a lot of events. Maybe focused on less events you coul get more impact, but that depends on your scope, either way it is a great idea. Best of luck!

Last edited:
As others have said I would first like to see a smaller scale proposal. And please provide a more detailed breakdown of the costs.

Other than that you have a great idea, good luck.

This is exactly the kind of thing I want to see Dash doing, especially with your long-term goals and target demographics.

I echo some of the other concerns voiced already about the scope of this proposal, that's a lot of very different events covering a long span of time, a huge swathe of the nation, and a lot of work for just three people. At the same time, though, that's a strength of this proposal, because it provides so many opportunities to reach so many people in so many different settings and contexts. I do hope you'll be enlisting the aid of more than just your small team, because that's a huge undertaking.

I suspect your chances of being funded would increase if these were offered as individual, successive proposals, but breaking it down by month is a slightly more risky but still better alternative than asking for it all upfront, as the network would have some risk mitigation in that way if things didn't work out on either end.

The "viral" potential that you list is an unknown factor, but one with potentially huge implications, so I think if the first proposal/first month goes well, even though the second two are kind of bordering on the historical upper limit for event sponsorship proposals, it would be a really great proposal to fund.

One thing that I would like to see more about is explicitly how you plan to use the Dash you're asking for. The Dash prizes/donations are pretty straightforward, what about these markets and games and what not you mention? How will Dash factor in to these, how are you planning on integrating Dash in to tickets and what not at the point of sale? Have you contacted anyone from these organizations or anyone from Dash Core or Volunteers in getting these organizations onboarded with Dash at Point of Sale?

I definitely want this proposal to succeed. Let's make it happen.
Thanks for your input. And we will be reposting next round. I will tag the link here once its available.
I can't tell you how excited we are by the responses from schools already. I think the point of sale is the pivotal point and right now, I'm trying to secure a firm grasp of what that will look like for almost 100 different schools on 25 or so different/hybrid platforms.

Towards that end, the cost of such an engagement makes me want to first prove traffic and reward on a highest value basis. Potentially during homecoming after schools sell tickets to games with DASH.... A 91 school competition....

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. And we will be reposting next round. I will tag the link here once its available.
I can't tell you how excited we are by the responses from schools already. I think the point of sale is the pivotal point and right now, I'm trying to secure a firm grasp of what that will look like for almost 100 different schools on 25 or so different/hybrid platforms.

Towards that end, the cost of such an engagement makes me want to first prove traffic and reward on a highest value basis. Potentially during homecoming after schools sell tickets to games with DASH.... A 91 school competition....

I come from a college town, so I know how integral these events (Homecoming, etc) are, the entire place thrives on the economic activity of the University largely--apart from a few major factories--and the financial organization that manages its funding is sitting on literally billions of dollars, so reaching out to a hundred such organizations even if they're not all that wealthy would be fantastic. Keep us posted!

Interesting idea -- I am currently at SXSW in Austin, TX helping to coordinate a few of the HBCU@SXSW events (I booked three of the speakers, two of them are my clients). If you want to reach HBCU students who are also interested in technology, this would be the group/way to do it (HBCU@SXSW). I am close with Rodney Sampson, their founder, and would be happy to help put together a sponsorship for HBCU@SXSW next year that makes sense. Sponsoring tailgates and homecomings is peanuts compared to the tech/innovation crowd at SXSW (in my humble opinion). For context, I am Janice Bryant Howroyd's talent manager, she was appointed by President Obama as an advisor to HBCUs. Please feel free to ping me if you want to discuss further. Not trying to knock your idea -- just feels half baked.

Please dont make the mistake of asking for a big amount first up.

Start with 50 dash and show what you can do with it. Best of luck.

Interesting idea -- I am currently at SXSW in Austin, TX helping to coordinate a few of the HBCU@SXSW events (I booked three of the speakers, two of them are my clients). If you want to reach HBCU students who are also interested in technology, this would be the group/way to do it (HBCU@SXSW). I am close with Rodney Sampson, their founder, and would be happy to help put together a sponsorship for HBCU@SXSW next year that makes sense. Sponsoring tailgates and homecomings is peanuts compared to the tech/innovation crowd at SXSW (in my humble opinion). For context, I am Janice Bryant Howroyd's talent manager, she was appointed by President Obama as an advisor to HBCUs. Please feel free to ping me if you want to discuss further. Not trying to knock your idea -- just feels half baked.
All conversation is in furtherance of the network, no insult taken.... though I staunchly disagree with your assessment of the value of tech/innovation at SXSW against the complete saturation of homecoming and football games is college football cities. At SXSW we would just be one attraction among dozens of great ideas. And as attendee's go, you generally get one person per family. Comparatively, at a college homecoming visibility is 1) One of kind (we have the advantage of being the first person to person dialogue for many 2) We can create a recurring transaction system amongst friends and family simply off one mention 3) Likelihood of non-sponsored media and advertising through organic engagement - which now that Google is attempting to Block crypto advertising (and possibly the entire SEO itself) will be the only way DASH news will be readily searchable 4) POS relationships built and left in our stead.

So yeah I adamantly disagree with "peanuts" In fact here's a map of locations.... on placement value alone, as well as the lower cost of these cities compared to marketing at a one time niche event, I bet dollars to doorknobs that a "people" focused DASH marketing will be far more successful (transaction wise) than a trend centric version. BTW I love SXSW, not trying to knock your idea. ;)

HBCUs.JPG

All conversation is in furtherance of the network, no insult taken.... though I staunchly disagree with your assessment of the value of tech/innovation at SXSW against the complete saturation of homecoming and football games is college football cities. At SXSW we would just be one attraction among dozens of great ideas. And as attendee's go, you generally get one person per family. Comparatively, at a college homecoming visibility is 1) One of kind (we have the advantage of being the first person to person dialogue for many 2) We can create a recurring transaction system amongst friends and family simply off one mention 3) Likelihood of non-sponsored media and advertising through organic engagement - which now that Google is attempting to Block crypto advertising (and possibly the entire SEO itself) will be the only way DASH news will be readily searchable 4) POS relationships built and left in our stead.

So yeah I adamantly disagree with "peanuts" In fact here's a map of locations.... on placement value alone, as well as the lower cost of these cities compared to marketing at a one time niche event, I bet dollars to doorknobs that a "people" focused DASH marketing will be far more successful (transaction wise) than a trend centric version. BTW I love SXSW, not trying to knock your idea. ;)

View attachment 6492
Fair enough, but my point is not specific to SXSW, that is one example where you could combine one event (tech focused, with huge media/press exposure) and combine with HBCU exposure by making a really great coordinated campaign rather than trying to commit to coordinating events at hundreds of different college campuses. My point should just be taken as that: the benefit of focusing efforts on one event rather than committing to doing a great job at a hundred events. Like a venn diagram of intersecting interests: SXSW + HBCU = very relevant audience. HBCU + Football games = less relevant audience. This could be done with many groups at various events, and I am simply offering my two cents as guidance and willingness to help you with brainstorming or intros if you'd like to message me privately, this is your proposal to put forth as you best see fit. As you say, all in the furtherance of the Dash community and I do think you are right that HBCU audience should be targeted in some way, just offering a different POV on how to do that.

*edit for typo

Back