• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: Dash Core for Fedora, CentOS, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux

t0dd

I have finally tossed my hat into the ring and submitted a proposal to help contribute to the continuation the release engineering activities for the Red Hat family of linux operating systems. I build and test on 8 platforms in total for both stable and unstable builds of Dash Core. And I make those builds available through the automated update feature of these operating systems by hosting public repositories for them.

I have been doing this for quite some time -- example announcement. The goal: Professionalize delivery of Dash Core to this family (and others), possibly get Dash Core accepted into Fedora package stream, and expand that packaging beyond just Dash Core (think, Sentinel, dashman, etc -- and evolution when it arrives).

Anyway... I would really value your support. Read more at https://www.dashcentral.org/p/dashcore-for-redhat and https://dashcommunity.github.io/proposal-dash-rpms/

Thank you. -t

----
UPDATE: I was asked to provide a smidgen more detail, therefore...

Please read the actual proposal for context and a full listing of deliverables and aspirations (I don't want to post the whole thing here):

33 DASH over a 3 month period starting in January = 99 DASH in total

Deliverables:
  • Dash Core: Continued build and improvement upon packaging for Fedora and CentOS (and by extension RHEL)
  • Tooling: Development towards getting Sentinel properly packaged and into repeatable builds. Also investigation into things like Dashman, etc.
  • Security: Dash Core, at the very least, really needs SELinux rules and configuration developed. Will investigate.
  • ...and I have a bunch of aspirational objectives that will likely take longer than 3 months. :)
Read the detail for more information. Thanks again. -t0dd (aka's: dAgrarian, agrarian, taw00, etc.)

Last edited:
Okay... there a lot of facts... I just added a sampling, the budget request, and starting date. Thanks!

I might have to update my proposal since based on a few responses some people, don't "get it" (trust me, I am sure it is *I* who is not being clear). So, I tried to explain it this way...

"""
The experience needed:
  • Your software manager alerts you that a new version of Dash is available, do you want to update it?
  • You elect yes, and click a button.
  • Done.

I want my Android app to be packaged right, with the right files landing in the right places with the right security settings delivered and updated from Google Play or F-Droid. I want the same thing if I have an iPhone: software delivered from iTunes or a trusted repository -- automatically. The same standard should hold true for any desktop or server application.

Right now... you can have that experience if you run Fedora, CentOS, or RHEL. Because I built that.
"""

Example, late last night, if you were running a testnet dash masternode on Fedora, this arrived nicely wrapped from Santa. No need to browse, then manually download, verify a digital signature or hash, upload to a VPS, install.... No need for all that, because it's is just there. Ready and available. Magic.

Screenshot%20from%202016-12-23%2008-33-03.png

Last edited:
a Gentoo ebuild?

I have little experience with Gentoo, but... embuild sounds like an RPM SPEC file... that is used to describe how to build the software and package-up the resultant binaries. Those binaries are digitally signed and delivered to yum/dnf repositories to be made available to the public and then everything becomes automated. Gentoo uses Portage, the Red Hat family uses Yum (older versions) or DNF (newer versions).

I hope that answers your question.
PS. I assume the rest of the text is a very elaborate signature. :)

I assume the rest of the text is a very elaborate signature. :)
It is.

Finding and building the appropriate dependencies in a package system so completely removed from the Debian way of it... More than I want to deal with right now. Was hoping someone wouldn't mind getting paid to do it.

Back