• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: Adverts on Radiolab

I have just posted a significant update to the proposal, increasing the exposure and reducing the CPM from $35 to $20 on average across audio and display adverts.

This will generate 5.4 million impressions over 3 months.

Just found this video discussing the current proposals and giving a positive response to this proposal, from 10:01 -

Thanks for putting your faith in me again with the Radiolab proposal, work has already begun, I'll be creating a rough 1st draft recording in a couple of styles over the next two days and releasing it to get feedback from the community.

My first report will be released here on Friday 4th of August.

Radiolab Update 04/08/31

Overall Status
  • The project in the earliest phase: we are working to establish the conditions necessary for delivery of the proposal.
  • Laura's experience with online marketing is a real asset to the proposal.
Progress and Achievements Since Last Reporting Period
  • Funding received
  • Hardware wallet being used to hold proposal funds
  • USD account with a UK bank being established
  • Exchange account upgraded to highest level for increased USD limits
  • Display and podcast guidelines received from WNYC
  • Contract received from WNYC, awaiting sale of Dash to sign it
  • I inquired about partial payment in Dash:
    • It is not currently possible due to stated policy: only USD accepted
    • Uncertainty about which currencies to accept
    • Finance Dept. not set up to handle multiple currencies
    • Caution from the board level
    • Open to conversation in future
    • Individual staff excited about the possibility of cryptocurrencies
  • Communication with Ryan and Jeff from core regarding timing of 12.2 and analytics from dash.org
  • Audio equipment purchased for rough recordings of script
  • Process of advert creation begun with Laura
  • Radiolab copy writer to help with script creation
  • Voice actors contacted about creation of audio for use outside of Radiolab
Time
  • We currently aim to begin delivering the adverts on September 1st
  • Deadline for the podcast script: August 18th
  • Deadline for display ads: August 28th
Budget
  • The price of Dash is returning towards $195 at which the final budget was made
  • Including the 2.5% contingency fund we are still $1,500 short.
  • Funds from wages may be used to reach $110,00 or the ad budget may be slightly lowered
  • Dash will be sold slowly in tranches to reduce the impact on the market
  • USD withdrawals from exchange are expensive, possible fees from intermediate banks
  • Electronic transfers from my USD account cost £15 ($19.57)
Risks
  • Holding a large amount of Dash presents a risk of loss due to hacking or physical theft - hacking risk mitigated by use of hardware wallet & theft risk mitigated by secure storage of hardware wallet while not in use.
  • Creative Risk: translating the functions and uses of Dash into a compelling image for display ads and audio ads- mitigation concept drawings being commissioned, script being drafted.
  • Costs/Risks to be balanced: many smaller costly withdrawals or holding larger Dash/USD balance on exchange
  • Test withdrawal from exchange of $1000 to be completed to establish timing and fees.
I am available to answer questions as @Syntheist on the Dash Nation Slack and dash.org/forum and via twitter @ed_rapley or at [email protected]

Next report: August 11th

Pre-roll Generic
Radiolab is supported by Dash Digital Cash, you can send any amount of money using our highly secure, peer-to-peer network. Dash allows you to skip the bank entirely and control your money your way. Dash is digital cash. For more information, visit dash.org/radiolab

Pre-roll Speed and Efficiency
Radiolab is supported by Dash Digital Cash, the quick and easy way to spend money from anywhere. Dash arrives in seconds and thanks to PrivateSend Dash really is private, instant and secure. Dash is digital cash. For more information, visit dash.org/radiolab

Pre-roll Money
Radiolab is supported by Dash Digital Cash, a revolutionary form of money that allows anyone to make instant, secure payments anywhere in the world. Dash is digital cash. For more information, visit dash.org/radiolab.

Mid-roll/Post-roll Generic
Radiolab is supported by Dash Digital Cash. Now anyone can use Dash for everyday financial transactions. Dash runs on a secure, open source, peer-to-peer network that allows users to feel safe when making purchases. Dash also features instant payments and low transaction fees. Plus, Dash lets you skip the bank entirely, giving you complete control your money. Dash is digital cash. For more information, visit dash.org/radiolab

Mid-roll/Post-roll Speed and Efficiency
Radiolab is supported by Dash Digital Cash, the safe, reliable and instant way to send your money to anyone, anywhere. Whether you're buying a coffee or sending funds to another country, Dash provides instant payments for pennies. Get discounts at hundreds of stores and services by using Dash today. Dash is digital cash. For more information visit dash.org/radiolab

Mid-roll/Post-roll Money
Radiolab is supported by Dash Digital Cash, a revolutionary form of money that allows anyone to make instant, secure payments anywhere in the world. Whether you’re doing business in another country or sending money home to friends and family a Dash transaction costs less than a cent and arrives instantly. Dash is digital cash. For more information, visit dash.org/radiolab

Last edited:
Hi Syntheist - here's my feedback:
First off, well done!
However, I don't see anything about it being scarce or how to use it.
People can already send "digital (fiat) cash" around the world thru paypal and other apps.
One major aspect that makes Dash different than fiat cash is that it is scarce, due to its limited supply - like gold.
The more people accumulate, the higher the value goes, so it's not just like cash that depreciates - it's also an investment!
I've added some ideas below, in blue.

Pre-roll Generic
Radiolab is supported by Dash - digital cash - a cryptocurrecy which lets you send any amount of money over the internet. It is instant, secure, and private. You can purchase Dash to save as an investment, or send it to any company or person that has a Dash wallet. Join the revolution and download the free Dash wallet app for iOS or android to get started today. For more information, visit dash.org/radiolab

Radiolab is supported by Dash Digital Cash, the quick and easy way to send money over the internet. Dash arrives in seconds, and thanks to PrivateSend, Dash really is private, instant and secure. Dash is digital cash. Download the free Dash wallet app for iOS or android to get started today. For more information, visit dash.org/radiolab

Pre-roll Money
Radiolab is supported by Dash Digital Cash, a revolutionary form of money that allows anyone to make instant, secure payments of any amount to anywhere in the world. Dash is digital cash. Download the free Dash wallet app for iOS or android to get started today For more information, visit dash.org/radiolab.

Radiolab is supported by Dash - a digital currency that is currently valued at $xUSD/Dash due to its scarcity, instant transaction speed, security and privacy. Now anyone can use Dash for everyday purchases with your choice of debit cards, or to save and hold as an investment. Dash runs on a secure, open source, peer-to-peer blockchain network that is safe and legal to use. Plus, Dash lets you skip the bank entirely, giving you complete control your money. Download the free Dash wallet app for iOS or android to get started today. For more information, visit dash.org/radiolab

Hope this helps!

DJ

Last edited:
Pre-roll Generic
Like it!

You wrote: "the quick and easy way to spend money from anywhere". Maybe it is better to say "send money" or "use your money", because people may think something like "I dont wanna spend my money".

Pre-roll Money
Great!

Maybe "Dash can used for everyday financial transactions."

Really loved this one!

Mid-roll/Post-roll Money
Perfect!

Thanks for the responses, these are really useful.

I forgot to say that there is a time limit for each of these slots:
Pre-roll - 15 seconds max
Mid/Post-roll - 30 seconds max

This means there is a limit to the amount of info that can be included, so it is about giving priority to the most important points.

Radiolab Update 11/08/31
Overall Status
  • We are moving towards having finalised copy and images for the adverts, thanks to some very useful feedback from the community. Legacy banking presents the biggest issue to successfully remaining within the deadlines.
  • Working with the copy writer at WNYC to create 1 draft scripts for the community to feedback on.
  • 2nd Draft scripts created and refined with further feedback.
  • Significant portion of the funds sold into USD
  • Legacy banking issues are holding up further sales
  • USD account with a UK bank is creating problems.
  • 1st and 2nd drafts of display adverts created including feedback
Time
  • We are currently aiming to begin delivering the adverts on the September 1st
  • Deadline for the podcast script: August 18th
  • We are on track to meet all of these deadlines.
  • The only possible issue will be caused by legacy banking preventing the transfer of USD from the exchange to an account under my control
Budget
  • The price of Dash is now above $195 at which the final budget was made
  • I am prevented from selling further Dash at this time due to the exchange risk caused by my inability to withdraw USD
  • I am in discussion with my UK bank to remedy this issue.
  • If the price stays at the current level we may be able to expand our advertising reach
Risks
  • Failure to secure USD account: remedy will be to try with a new bank in the UK.
  • Currently we are at the limit of my willingness to be exposed to exchange site risk so further Dash sales have been halted.
  • Test withdrawal from exchange of $100 to be completed to establish timing and fees. Result: failure. I chose the smallest possible withdrawal amount and the payment was return. Investigating this with the exchange and my bank.
I am available to answer questions as @Syntheist on the Dash Nation Slack and dash.org/forum and via twitter @ed_rapley or at [email protected]

Next report: August 18th

Radiolab Update 11/08/31

Risks

• Failure to secure USD account: remedy will be to try with a new bank in the UK.
  • Currently we are at the limit of my willingness to be exposed to exchange site risk so further Dash sales have been halted.
  • Test withdrawal from exchange of $100 to be completed to establish timing and fees. Result: failure. I chose the smallest possible withdrawal amount and the payment was return. Investigating this with the exchange and my bank.

Next report: August 18th

Blankety blank &^^%##@))><> legacy banking system. They are winning no friends. Let's replace them.

Final Scripts For Feedback

These are the final draft of the scripts before they will be recorded, if you want to give any feedback now is your last chance.
The adverts must be no longer than 15 seconds for pre-roll and 30 seconds for mid-roll/post-roll and the focus follows the open letter by Ryan and Evan, this means highlighting the uses of Dash and explicitly not talking about Dash as an investment.

Pre-roll Generic
Radiolab is supported by Dash Digital cash, send any amount of money using our highly secure, peer-to-peer network. Skip the bank entirely and control your money your way. Dash is digital cash. For more information, visit dash.org/radiolab

Radiolab is supported by Dash Digital Cash, the quick and easy way to send money from anywhere. Dash arrives in seconds and transactions really are private, instant and secure. Dash is digital cash. For more information, visit dash.org/radiolab

Pre-roll Money
Radiolab is supported by Dash Digital Cash, a revolutionary form of money that allows anyone to make instant, secure payments anywhere in the world. Dash is digital cash. For more information, visit dash.org/radiolab.

Radiolab is supported by Dash Digital Cash. Dash can be used for everyday financial transactions by anyone with a smartphone. Dash runs on a secure, open source, peer-to-peer network that allows users to feel safe when making purchases. Dash also features instant payments and low fees. Plus, Dash lets you skip the bank entirely, giving you complete control your money. Dash is digital cash. For more information, visit dash.org/radiolab

Radiolab is supported by Dash Digital Cash, the safe, reliable and instant way to send your money to anyone, anywhere. Whether you're buying a coffee or sending funds to another country, Dash provides instant payments for pennies. Get discounts at hundreds of stores and services by using Dash today. Dash is digital cash. For more information visit dash.org/radiolab

Mid-roll/Post-roll Money
Radiolab is supported by Dash Digital Cash, a revolutionary form of money that allows anyone to make instant, secure payments anywhere in the world. Whether you’re doing business in another country or sending money home to friends and family a Dash transaction costs pennies and arrives instantly. Dash is digital cash. For more information, visit dash.org/radiolab

Radiolab Update 18/08/31
Overall Status
  • The project is nearing delivery, the final script have been delivered to Radiolab. The banking issues have been resolved and the sale of Dash has been completed.
  • Banking issues have been resolved with my UK USD account
  • The final scripts have been edited by Wachsman PR and sent to WNYC
  • Laura has created another draft set of display adverts for feedback
  • The sale of Dash is now complete for an average value of $203
Time
  • The deadline for the scripts has now been reached and the scripts have been submitted.
  • We are currently aiming to begin delivering the adverts on September 1st
  • Deadline for the podcast script: August 18th - met
Budget
  • The USD budget to pay WNYC has now been generated with 30 Dash left.
  • Depending on the success of the campaign this may be used to purchase more advertising time.
Risks
  • Front-running: An interesting point for anyone else needing to sell large amounts of Dash from the budget: it is possible for the market to front run your sales, by watching your addresses they can tell when you are moving funds to the exchange. Mitigation: I would recommend using PrivateSend when funding exchange accounts and not re-using addresses at the exchange.

Next report: August 25th

@Syntheist *Really* appreciate these updates. I like way you are going about this with good information (even if it's just small things sometimes), making yourself highly available in multiple places for questions, and creating a schedule of next-check-in dates. You're setting the bar high and I hope other proposal owners will follow your lead on good communication --

Thanks, it's my pleasure, I think getting the communication right is a really important part of running a proposal. Especially for someone new to the community like me.

I saw the reaction to people promising updates and not delivering, it creates this fear that you've just been ripped off. Proposals are one of the few places where you need to trust a person rather than the protocol, so it's the one place where someone could abuse that trust.

I'm learning a lot as I go through this process and mostly it's many small things (banking delays, trading practices) but if a proposal owner says nothing because they could only say a little then that's a mistake.

Radiolab Update 25/08/31
Overall Status
  • The audio adverts are now being recorded by Radiolab for broadcast.
  • The generic scripts are being recorded in two version: US male voice, UK female voice.
  • Scripts are being professionally translated into the 10 most common languages & Korean.
  • Scripts delivered and approved by WNYC
  • Recordings being created by Radiolab listeners
  • Bank transfer to WNYC initiated (could take 8 workings days!)
  • Generic scripts for use in community or Dash sponsored podcasts being created
  • The female voice artist is also the voice of the London Underground so for the Dash conference in September everyone will get to hear her announce the stations as they travel.
Time
  • The newsletter display adverts will be delayed until the 25th of September, this is not due to lateness on our part but the advertising schedule of WNYC.
  • We are currently aiming to begin broadcast the audio adverts on September 1st
  • Deadline for display ads to be submitted to WNYC: September 9th
Budget
  • Wage for this month will be calculated on Sept 1st and published in the next report.
  • The significant price increase of Dash is allowing me to add extra elements to the proposal such as professional translations into 11 languages.
  • Exploring the possibility of creating video 15 seconds/30 seconds so the scripts can be used in youtube videos.
Risks
  • Significant price drops would make it difficult to deliver extensions on the proposal. Mitigation: some Dash has been sold at the current price.

Next report: September 1st

Last edited:
I know, it is fairly ridiculous. I'm hoping to find a way to help them accept Dash in the future, change would need to come from the board level so it would involve presenting to them.

Here are the scripts which anyone can use for their own podcast or video, feel free to record them in any way you feel but do not change the wording except to include mention of your content.

Dash, Digital Cash Sponsorship Scripts
Ed Rapley - 20/08/17

Pre-roll Generic
This episode of... is supported by Dash, Digital Cash. Dash allows you to send any amount of money using a highly secure, peer-to-peer network. Skip the bank entirely and control your money your way. Dash is digital cash. For more information, visit dash.org

This episode of... is supported by Dash, Digital Cash, the quick and easy way to send money to anyone in the world, from anywhere in the world. Dash arrives within seconds and transactions are instant, secure, and optionally private. Dash is digital cash. For more information, visit dash.org

Pre-roll Money
This episode of... is supported by Dash, Digital Cash, a revolutionary form of money that allows anyone, anywhere to make instant, secure payments. Dash is digital cash. For more information, visit dash.org

This episode of... is supported by Dash, Digital Cash. Dash can be used for everyday financial transactions through any connected device. Dash runs on a secure, open source, peer-to-peer network that makes users feel safe when making purchases. Dash features instant payments with low fees and lets you skip the bank entirely, giving you complete control of your money. Dash is digital cash. For more information, visit dash.org

This episode of... is supported by Dash, Digital Cash, the safe, reliable and instant way to send money to anyone, anywhere. Whether you're buying a coffee or sending funds to another country, Dash enables instant remittances and payments for pennies. Get discounts at hundreds of stores and services by using Dash today. Dash is digital cash. For more information visit dash.org

Mid-roll/Post-roll Money
This episode of... is supported by Dash, Digital Cash, a revolutionary form of money that allows anyone to make instant, secure payments anywhere in the world. Whether you’re doing business overseas or sending money home to friends and family, Dash transactions cost pennies and arrive instantly. Dash is digital cash. For more information, visit dash.org

Back