• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

problems with setting up my two mining rigs

Isoterik

hi there!
i build my 1st two mining rigs and now i have a big problem and no solution in sight so far.
i have two identical rigs. each with a GA-Z77X-UP and seven GTX 750 Ti. i use ubuntu 14.04 and the nvidia driver 340.17.run. the cards are all connected with pci-e x1 > x16 powered risers. but only 4 cards on each system are recognized. i figured out which pci slots dont work and i have no clue how to solve that.
those in the red squares dont work:

i even checkt different cards and risers on those slots, that didnt made any difference. they are working fine in the other pci ports except those three :( may someone can help me? i realy have no clue what it could be.

Iso

Sounds like you may have a conflict.. try loading all 7 and looking at your device manager.. don't know that I have heard of someone running that many cards off of one motherboard before.. what size power supply do you have?

Sounds like you may have a conflict.. try loading all 7 and looking at your device manager.. don't know that I have heard of someone running that many cards off of one motherboard before.. what size power supply do you have?
i tried loading all 7 but just 4 are listed. then i tried as said to figure out what the problem is, so i isolated those 3 pci ports. my psu is an "evga supernova 1000 g2 1000W" it should easily handle that due i calculated everything together and that would be between 50 to max 70% of what it can provide.

so nearly 2 month later and trying different stuff i still have no solution. im running both with just 4 gfx due more are not detected. i tried x1 to x16 powered risers and 16x to 16x powered risers and with them its even worse. also swaping the cards and risers didnt brought me forward :(
btw. could it be, that when ubuntu stucks on the boot screen with certain risers, that those risers are just bad even tho those are working in other slots fine? im thinking about swapping those two MBs for other ones. may that brings the solution. any recommendations?

I'm afraid this is due to the limitation of the motherboard. Even if the cards get recognized it probably cannot provide enough bandwith and/or power trough all slots without bottlenecking a bit.

I'm afraid this is due to the limitation of the motherboard. Even if the cards get recognized it probably cannot provide enough bandwith and/or power trough all slots without bottlenecking a bit.
idk, the confusion part is that it wont recognize that cards probably in the pci slots that are for gfx cards on both MBs. and when i use that black pci-e slot with a 16x > x16 riser it just recognize that one card and no other slots.

A good place to begin with:
From the Manual, section 1-2, page 10:
The PCIEX16_2 slot will become unavailable when an expansion card is installed
in the orange PCI Express x16 slot.

That would logically leave us with 6 active slots. Are your sure the nVidia drivers support more than 4+ cards ?

thanks for the hint. i never actually looked into the manuel... yeah im sure its supports more then 4 due other have it aswell.

Back