• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Privacy without a blockchain in the context of a user ID

InTheWoods

Foundation Member
Since DASH is going the way of User ID with Evolution I think a discussion is needed about the need of using a blockchain for anonymity, since in a way this changes the ballgame to some degree.

I suggest reading this article and providing your thoughts.

Since DASH is going the way of User ID with Evolution I think a discussion is needed about the need of using a blockchain for anonymity, since in a way this changes the ballgame to some degree.

I suggest reading this article and providing your thoughts.
The user id doesn't have to identify you. It can be made up/fake. It's more like "unique identifier", because you have to have a unique value that no one else has and is also easy to remember. I also didn't think it was required — the old method for sending coins should still work if I understand correctly.

The user id doesn't have to identify you. It can be made up/fake. It's more like "unique identifier", because you have to have a unique value that no one else has and is also easy to remember. I also didn't think it was required — the old method for sending coins should still work if I understand correctly.

I didn't say it does. Did you read that article? Others have created a system which functions in a similar fashion with a user ID, anonymous as well just that it won't use a blockchain to do it.

from what I've seen and read one thing is not clear to me, what stops others from spamming your username with requests to pay?

I didn't say it does. Did you read that article? Others have created a system which functions in a similar fashion with a user ID, anonymous as well just that it won't use a blockchain to do it.
I skimmed the article, I did not read it in full.

from what I've seen and read one thing is not clear to me, what stops others from spamming your username with requests to pay?
Evan addressed this somewhere, I think it has to be a 2-way connection as far as friends in the social wallet. For the merchant thing, I'm not really sure what the protection is. I am confident that there will be some kind of protection from this before it's implemented though.

Back