• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pretty scared

Life is a risk my friends :D johnny walker keep walking, you make the path while you walk xD
it can be nerve wrecking. i had to reload a wallet one time. But its all good once you have a backup. . Also, never store coins on an exchange for too long. I lost a lot more than $40k on an exchange one time!

Hey David, whats the story with Trezor and MN functionality? I was told it was still a work in progress?

The "easy way" is still a work in progress. However, Chaeplin has released detailed guides on his dashmnb tool, including a Windows 10 guide (https://github.com/chaeplin/dashmnb/tree/master/others/pics/windows10). It's very easy to follow, step by step, and he's in Dash Nation Slack to help if needed. Very good program and very easy to follow instructions. It lets you run MNs from a trezor.

it can be nerve wrecking. i had to reload a wallet one time. But its all good once you have a backup. . Also, never store coins on an exchange for too long. I lost a lot more than $40k on an exchange one time!

That's a nightmare. Which exchange was it?

I'm all about risk/reward, and definitely commend those who can find an edge when it comes to wealth management. But pinning your entire life savings on a bootstrapped coding project of which you have questionable understanding is borderline insanity. Please don't take this as a personal attack or anything. Just realize that -100% is a very real potential outcome.

Evan Duffield and Co. are a crew of super nerds, I feel pretty confident :D. In this digital era it is the super nerds that are paving the way for a better future. Any investment has a risk to it. If I lose, o wells, in the end it's just money.

OMG, so confusing! Just in case I can help, I'll give you the system i used until I got a trezor. I use 7zip and keepass2.

1. First time I open my wallet, I encrypt it, so there never is a time when the wallet.dat exists without encryption.

2. I store the encryption password on my already set up keepass2 (in fact, have keepass2 create the password for you!) Make sure you save after making the entry in keepass2.

3. Now make a folder, give it a name (I put in the date) and insert your keepass.kdbp (the database) and your wallet.dat file in it.

4. Next use 7 zip to zip up the folder with encryption. giving it a password you know well and will remember. Perhaps the same one you use for keepass.

Now you have a double encrypted (actually that means the weakest link is all that is needed, but you gotta weigh security vs danger of losing it all) Don't keep your .key file with the database file in keepass, because it should be kept separate to act as a 2fa Back all this up on at least a few jump drives in case one or two break :p

If you get a trezor, the "weak link" but most important thing you MUST keep from losing is the 24 word code you get when you first start it. You can retrieve the account, using a deterministic wallet or another trezor if something happens to your trezor!

There are many ways to skin a cat, but here is one that will work here and now :)

Finally, you can delete the wallet.dat in the dashcore folder, and empty the trash.

Last edited:
OMG, so confusing! Just in case I can help, I'll give you the system i used until I got a trezor. I use 7zip and keepass2.

1. First time I open my wallet, I encrypt it, so there never is a time when the wallet.dat exists without encryption.

2. I store the encryption password on my already set up keepass2 (in fact, have keepass2 create the password for you!) Make sure you save after making the entry in keepass2.

3. Now make a folder, give it a name (I put in the date) and insert your keepass.kdbp (the database) and your wallet.dat file in it.

4. Next use 7 zip to zip up the folder with encryption. giving it a password you know well and will remember. Perhaps the same one you use for keepass.

Now you have a double encrypted (actually that means the weakest link is all that is needed, but you gotta weigh security vs danger of losing it all) Don't keep your .key file with the database file in keepass, because it should be kept separate to act as a 2fa Back all this up on at least a few jump drives in case one or two break :p

If you get a trezor, the "weak link" but most important thing you MUST keep from losing is the 24 word code you get when you first start it. You can retrieve the account, using a deterministic wallet or another trezor if something happens to your trezor!

There are many ways to skin a cat, but here is one that will work here and now :)

Finally, you can delete the wallet.dat in the dashcore folder, and empty the trash.

Greetings, when downloa
One note on the "private key" and "wallet" point, a wallet can hold multiple private keys and if you use a lot of addresses (ie. mixing) there's a good chance it does. In that case just saving the initial private key isn't enough and can lead to lost coins, better to use private keys only for a small number of addresses (ie. paper wallets) and backups of the wallet.dat file for more general usage

Greetings, when downloading the Dash Core Wallet, how secure is this TCP 9999 connection my PC uses to Dash??

-If I have let's say the Amped Ally Router (with Anti-Virus installed).
-And an Anti-Virus on my PC.
-And a VPN.
-And a Password to get into my PC.
-And an encrypted Dash Core Wallet.

Assuming I will keep my laptop online, is it possible a hacker could get into my Dash Core Wallet through the same Dash Core Wallet (Through the TCP Port 9999) and steal my funds even if my wallet is encrypted against withdrawals?

Of course, I will not leave my laptop online, I will keep it offline and just use the laptop strictly as a wallet. But assuming I did leave it online, is the above a possibility? When I saw the TCP port 9999 was open that made me question the wallet's security.

I wish I was more knowledgeable on these subjects, which sparks my interest and will indeed look to learn more about these technical matters.

17192068_1729632730699713_8317098895050472646_o.jpg

I can't say for certain. Basically, I was rather loose with my wallet due to convenience. I needed to cash out the coins all the time, so I had to load my MN and send coins to the exchange a lot. I'd unzip my folder with the MN wallet.dat files, stick the files in my dashcore folder, open the text file with my absurdly long password in it, copy to clipboard, open the wallet, let it sync (if I were being careful I would sync the wallet before putting the wallet.dat file in there so that I'd be online for less time) send my funds, delete the wallet.dat, clean trash.

Then I got lazy lately, LOL. Left the MNwallet.dat files in place, kept the txt file with password zipped up in an encrypted folder though. Still, it was a pain in the ass :p

The trezor is a lot easier because all the MNs are there (before I kept them all in their own wallet)

I did all this on a mostly offline Ubuntu laptop computer, which helps in safety in that it's mostly off line, and isn't something I put a lot of non-opensourced programs on.

With the Trezor, you still have to keep safe (and backed up) your 24 word passphrase - to be paranoid, never enter it on a computer with internet access, or an OS that isn't going to be destroyed :p. You need the trezor to access your funds, so you can't lose the item/thing without having to dig up your 24 word code, but at least if you have those 24 words, you'll always have access to your funds! Everything has a weak link, that's the trezor's

So yah, as in life and politics, safety vs ease of use are inversely related :D

Anyway, the weak points were that I would unzip my encrypted folder a lot, typing in my password a lot, each time being an opportunity for a trojan to keylog. Keyloggers and screenshot taking malware are the worst. Then of course if someone had a backdoor and could snag my files... that would have finished me off.

NEVER use your phone!!! I assume my phone is hacked, that the government can hear everything I say around it, LOL. Hope they enjoy it :p Pretty boring life here :p

Back