• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

(Preproposal) The Library

EpicX

Introduction

This proposal would hasten world wide adoption of Dash by providing massive redundancy and access to basic information, as is the basic right of all humans according to the United Nations.

To understand the correlation of freedom to access basic information and the mass adoption of Dash, one might look at how access to basic information (as in Wikipedia) influences marketing in general. There have been some peer reviewed papers on how access to Wikipedia is disirable for marketing towards developing countries:

Rask, Morten, The Richness and Reach of Wikinomics: Is the Free Web-Based Encyclopedia Wikipedia Only for the Rich Countries?. Proceedings of the Joint Conference of The International Society of Marketing Development and the Macromarketing Society, June 2-5, 2007.​

Pre-proposal Text

If "The Library" proposal passes, Masternodes would vote every four years on each of the below to host the data and torrents using X% of their maximum throughput for the next four years alongside the block chain on the Masternodes themselves:

1). A copy of the English Wikipedia as it was 12 months before the vote
2). Copies of WikiLeaks data dumps at the time of the vote
3). The most recent editions of the United Nations "Universal Declaration of Human Rights" (UNUDHR)
4). The X% of throughput per the above

Legal Implications

Wikipedia is licensed under the following: CC Attribution / Share-Alike 3.0
Most text is also dual-licensed under GFDL; media licensing varies.

WikiLeaks and the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights are under the Public Domain of most countries.

48 countries have voted in favor of the UNUDHR in 1948.

Any particular countries whom violate these licenses or whom have excessively restricted Public Domains violate the 19th article of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights anyways and prohibit the expansion of Dash as per the reference paper in the introduction. For reference, Article 19 reads:

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Last edited:
These items appear to published under similar licenses as Dash code itself; but I should include a legal section in spite of the common knowledge that The Library items are under such license.

I will revise the preproposal to include such a section when I can.

I don't get it. Is it a pre-proposal to force MNO to seed those files?
I think he wants to ask for funds to pay for a high capacity server in order to seed these documents he mentioned in OP.
Anyway, I don't see how it helps Dash network.

I have updated the pre-proposal based on feedback.

To-do: additional peer reviewed papers supporting access to information and market correlations.

Far too complicated for me. I like to keep things simple. Its hardly worth my while asking questions, because I wouldn't understand the answers. I wonder how this can ever get enough votes as a full proposal.

Introduction

This proposal would hasten world wide adoption of Dash by providing massive redundancy and access to basic information, as is the basic right of all humans according to the United Nations.

To understand how freedom to access basic information speeds the mass adoption of Dash, one might look at how access to basic information (as in Wikipedia) influences marketing in general. There have been some peer reviewed papers on how access to Wikipedia is disirable for marketing towards developing countries:

Rask, Morten, The Richness and Reach of Wikinomics: Is the Free Web-Based Encyclopedia Wikipedia Only for the Rich Countries?. Proceedings of the Joint Conference of The International Society of Marketing Development and the Macromarketing Society, June 2-5, 2007.​

Pre-proposal Text

If "The Library" proposal passes, Masternodes would vote every four years on each of the below to host the data and torrents using X% of their maximum throughput for the next four years alongside the block chain on the Masternodes themselves:

1). A copy of the English Wikipedia as it was 12 months before the vote
2). Copies of WikiLeaks data dumps at the time of the vote
3). The most recent editions of the United Nations "Universal Declaration of Human Rights" (UNUDHR)
4). The X% of throughput per the above

Legal Implications

Wikipedia is licensed under the following: CC Attribution / Share-Alike 3.0
Most text is also dual-licensed under GFDL; media licensing varies.

WikiLeaks and the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights are under the Public Domain of most countries.

48 countries have voted in favor of the UNUDHR in 1948.

Any particular countries whom violate these licenses or whom have excessively restricted Public Domains violate the 19th article of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights anyways and prohibit the expansion of Dash as per the reference paper in the introduction. For reference, Article 19 reads:

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.
Intriguing. So the idea is to use some of the MN computations (and memory?) to provide free info? Can you explain in a paragraph or two how this helps increase Dash value? Also, how does it help anyone to host information that is already available for free?

I'm not sure even the best economist could tell you with confidence "how" access to basic information is correlated with "rich" countries. The data simply points to a strong correlation in the peer reviewed literature.

Social sciences are all about "good enough" statistics, remember. This is a significantly different acedemic approach to, say, the pure mathematics of cryptography solving in a probable way the Byzantine General problem.

Asking "how" is certainly still one of the correct questions to ask! Published peer reviewed correlation is strong enough such that "how" is less important than what the data does show.

how does it help anyone to host information that is already available for free?

According to the NGO Paris based organization Reporters Without Borders, 19 countries are "enemies of the internet" with profound censorship.

If Masternodes host the English text of Wikipedia, censorship is more easily routed around in these countries by the populations and Dash is more accessable to the citizens whom decide to use Wikipedia.

Back