• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-proposal: Video with Danny Trejo to promote Dash on social platforms

nrpetty

This is a one month project that will require 422 + 5 refund = 427 Dash.

Find full breakdown of cost and more details below.
  • Description of project
To create an engaging, high-quality video to promote Dash on social media. All current Dash social media campaigns make use of an older, animated explainer video. Dash needs much more. This video will have all the elements necessary to drive brand awareness and generate great results to the community.

Regarding recent news about changes in online advertising policies for these kinds of campaigns, we think this spot makes sense right now because:

1) Dash needs something in the short term to attract viewers and drive awareness other than an explainer video.

2) A funny, high-quality piece of content is more likely to be shared on social media which will help with long-term exposure and virality.

• Creative summary (30 second spot)
A group of questionable cholo characters discuss/argue about their current payment platform. Suddenly, Danny Trejo arrives in a low rider and tells them about something better. Through extremely intelligent and clever dialogue, Danny quickly educates them about the key benefits and features of Dash.

Tone examples include this Wayne’s World scene where the dialogue is unexpectedly intelligent and informative.

More about Danny Trejo

BGWqfDzu825RUKXccx1SiNj8R3RP7xVyOnAAoTC4mEcMpNVqtBqGHBXoj5Q1qt7jOJLvLc3QC6N17k6X8FEU5KmN72FA7gRaUR6DERlCybBKEJDWuBCi7kRTe63V3gB4qfkWkH6O

Danny Trejo is an American actor who has appeared in numerous Hollywood films and TV shows. His work has appeared in Breaking Bad,The X-Files, Con Air, Sons of Anarchy, among others.

• Production schedule
Production and principal photography will take place the week of April 2nd.

Final product expected to be delivered on April 11th*.

* This could shift by a week or so (max) as Danny is currently filming three things and will be fitting this in as well.

• Budget breakdown
$50K - Approximate Key Talent fee (actors)

$10K - SAG (Screen Actors Guild), Admin, Legal (this will be recognized as a SAG/AFTRA project and digital usage, meaning we would only be using the content for digital distribution — i.e., not broadcast television).

$60K - Principal Photography (Includes all gear, production team, location, props, extras, etc.)

$30K - Post production (Edit, Music, Sound, Mix, Color, Graphics, Titles)

Total: $150K

• Who we are (2 Key Partners)
1) Cordurouy
My name is Nathan Pettijohn, Founder and CEO of Cordurouy, based in Los Angeles, CA. We've partnered with dozens of influencers, celebrities and top-tier production companies. My strategy clients include Jeremy Renner, William Shatner and public companies such as National CineMedia. I have overseen product launches and digital branding campaigns for brand clients such as NVIDIA and Vizio. I also serve as a talent manager to business innovators and leaders such as Janice Bryant Howroyd (the first African American woman to own a billion-dollar company, The ActOne Group) and am a contributing writer for Forbes on topics related to growth hacking.

2) Substance Over Hype
Substance Over Hype (SOH) is a creative agency and production company specialized in cutting-edge content at a first-class execution level. SOH is led by writer / director Daniel Malakai Cabrera and its work speaks for itself. The company has recently delivered successes for brands such as: JW Marriott, Fiat, Sony, Ritz-Carlton, and more. One great example of their work with Strike Social and Marriott is parts 1-3 of “Two Bellman” short films for JW MARRIOT. Substance Over Hype wrote, produced and directed this series for Marriott. Strike Social ran the media.

Malakai and Cordurouy have worked closely together the past several years and look forward to bringing stylized, fun and memorable content to Dash. They will execute content that raises awareness while staying in line with the objectives put forth by Ryan Taylor, Fernando and the Core team.

This partnership and creative plan is supported and sourced by Strike Social, the No. 17 fastest-growing private company in the U.S. by Inc. Magazine. Strike Social harnesses the power of artificial intelligence to drive the best outcomes in YouTube and social media advertising. The company is currently running two YouTube video advertising campaigns to promote Dash. Learn more about Strike's approved proposals:

https://www.dashcentral.org/p/strike-country-expansion
https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/strike-social-update-increase-dash-awareness-on-youtube.30461/

• The benefits of this proposal
(A) Efficiency - We are more nimble and less bloated than most agencies. As a result, we are able to deliver content at rates far below the competition.

(B) Relationships - We are based in Los Angeles and have relationships with the types of celebrities and influencers that will be needed in the long term in order to ever truly get Dash mainstream exposure. Our relationships often come with better rates.

(C) Experience - Both Malakai and myself have a range of work experience to point to for high quality content, branding and growth hacking.
  • Goals
As this is our first proposal, our goal is to exceed the community’s expectations so that we can continue working with Dash. We are asking for a modest $150k while delivering content that actually looks like a million-dollar commercial.

We have secured Danny Trejo for the first week of April, the crew is locked, and we are securing locations now. We are prepping for the shoot in good faith — with the trust that this value will be seen and appreciated by the community.

Our target market will be English-speaking audiences, though with Danny Trejo we have an opportunity to also deliver a Spanish-language version of the commercial (the sooner this proposal passes the sooner we can coordinate those logistics according to his availability to make this version also happen.)

In addition to the 30 second spot we also intend to deliver cuts for promotion on Snapchat as well as stills for online display promotions.

• How will Masternodes know what’s going on?
We will be posting updates at every step of this project, from pre-production to the final result.

We are very excited to serve the Dash community with excellence!

Last edited:
Especially with the turndown in other advertisement opportunities due to platform-wide bans on cryptocurrency, making up for that lack of exposure with star power is pretty important. Also, given the recent push in to Latin countries, having a well-known, memorable, Latin-American Actor as well as a *Spanish Language version* would be a huge benefit. People pay attention to people like Danny Trejo, they notice him, even if the content of the commercial is nothing they are interested in. This, IMO, has as much or more potential to really draw interest than a lot of other proposals. It's a hefty price to even get someone like him on board, but entirely worth it, IMO.

I like Danny Trejo. The scene sounds pretty funny. I'm not too happy about spending 150k on just one commercial, tho. As long as there is also a Spanish version we can cover a lot of area with it. All other projects can use it in their presentations as well, giving everyone a laugh they will remember, and have fun sharing with their friends and families. I'll vote yes.

@Unstoppable and @Arthyron - thank you both! Great points. Yes, within this budget we have allocated resources to also deliver a Spanish language version, as well as still assets for use in display campaigns and exports for other platforms like Snapchat. As far as costs I would also point out that Sling TV recently ran a campaign with Danny Trejo (both English and Spanish language versions) and the rate that Sling TV paid for Danny alone was six figures. We are eager to prove our value and the relationships we can offer to the Dash community longterm :)

I like this proposal for a reason and it is the power to strengthen brands of stars that have won the love of the public like Danny Trejo. This type of thing can transfer the authority of the influencers towards the brand and make it recognized and powerful, I also think that it is something entertaining that can encourage other artists to participate. Greetings from Guayana, Venezuela and success for you and your iniciative.

Usually, I think stuff like this is a bit of a waste of money, but we really need a high-quality captivating commercial, and this sounds like it could be it.

Could you tell us a little about what Danny will be saying? For instance if he talks about Dash in the context of other cryptocurrencies I don't really see the point. He should be comparing it to traditional systems (money in your possession in a few minutes, instant transactions, privacy, and incredibly low fees). Could you clarify which approach you are taking?

Usually, I think stuff like this is a bit of a waste of money, but we really need a high-quality captivating commercial, and this sounds like it could be it.

Could you tell us a little about what Danny will be saying? For instance if he talks about Dash in the context of other cryptocurrencies I don't really see the point. He should be comparing it to traditional systems (money in your possession in a few minutes, instant transactions, privacy, and incredibly low fees). Could you clarify which approach you are taking?
Hi @Name3 - Agreed. Danny will not mention cryptocurrencies at all -- dialogue will instead be focused on the key features of Dash mentioned (instant, private, secure, low fees). We will be providing more detailed treatment and script as this moves forward and intend to follow every direction we can regarding branding set forth by the Core team and MNO's.

Instant, secure and low fees, yes.. but I'm a bit hesitant saying "private" because newcomers will / should be introduced via the phone app, which has no coin mixing.

I like the creativity but concerned that Danny Trejo's association with criminal characters may send the wrong message when promoting Dash. Am I the only one with that concern?

I like the creativity but concerned that Danny Trejo's association with criminal characters may send the wrong message when promoting Dash. Am I the only one with that concern?
Hi @DashArk - that is a good question. Similar to the Wayne's World example, the humor in this scene comes from the characters/dialogue not at all being what is expected (dialogue ends up being extremely intelligent and educational).

Hi @Name3 - Agreed. Danny will not mention cryptocurrencies at all -- dialogue will instead be focused on the key features of Dash mentioned (instant, private, secure, low fees). We will be providing more detailed treatment and script as this moves forward and intend to follow every direction we can regarding branding set forth by the Core team and MNO's.
Features don't sell cryptocurrency really.. I'm a fan of the principals of crypto, control of your own money, security, freedom to transfer/never closed 24/7/365. People are tired of old banks.

It's hard to sell a money problem to people who have the least friction in the world.
examples:
Secure is hard to sell, for the most part people get credited any time theft occurs on their credit card account. Debit cards is the real pain.
Private is tricky to sell because stuff is private outside the back room information deals between card companies and merchants etc.
Low fees is tricky as the merchant pays the fee to keep it invisible to you most of the time. And most people don't wire money. Impossible to overdraft maybe.
Instant is hardly relevant to most, cash is fairly instant. Large amounts over distances is not.

In reality america is more interested in
Investment, high returns etc.
Keeping up with inflation. although few are that aware.

For now we are building knowledge about Dash for when the time is right to solve the slowly breaking system.

It's great to also get one done in Spanish too!

I hope this passes!

Back