• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-Proposal: UK Dash To Fiat Exchange & Marketing Integration

AshFrancis

Our proposal is now live - thank you for all the support!

PDF Link (In case of rendering issues)

Budget:
25 Dash per month for 8 months in escrow through Dash core team.

Creating a better user experience to both increase Dash adoption in the UK and to improve Dash marketing.

Summary

The marketing efforts in the UK of Fernando, Feedband, et al. are having a serious impact, driving discovery and awareness of Dash at a key time in the 6th largest economy in the world.

This spend is being ramped up even further over the next quarter with an aggressive 65% of the budget targeting the UK.

Our goal is to create a friction-less user experience for UK adopters and provide Dash marketers with a complete picture of the user journey from discovery all the way through to adoption. Dash will be the first and only crypto to have a completely holistic marketing approach.

Pain point 1: The user experience of UK investors and adopters of Dash in the UK is poor

E3WAIjg3PN6M7rOpT-diIuvEzHwXWooUYKJw3_OQLY3ainuYBskah4qRtNW63xfyjAn477rreCyWvoAJd2x4T2fWtLSGAUEhrTj3aoBVQJbOSFaEGELuPKhExhHAnBI4d3aMUbUV

Okay so there are other ways that aren’t quite that bad, but even Uphold (which from our research we’ve identified as one of the best) constantly pauses payment by credit/debit card. They also have high fees and require slow bank transfers that have to be sent to Portugal - not very reassuring for someone new to cryptocurrency especially with businesses like bitconnect being prominent in the media.

That’s also just how you get Dash, there is a huge user journey before even looking to buy Dash that can be improved and we have extensive experience in this area. We’re going to be far more than a tool, we’ll be an educator and a point of reference - even an authority figure. We want to make discovering, learning and acquiring Dash as friction-less as sending it. Our intention is for a user who is both new to Dash and cryptocurrencies in general to feel confident using our site and, even with no prior experience of cryptocurrencies at all, leave our site feeling that the process was explained to them clearly and they have some understanding of cryptocurrency fundamentals.

We’ll also be providing use education to the offset, converting speculative investors who see crypto as a pump and dump to Dash advocates with an appreciation for the technology and future adoption of cryptocurrency.

Pain point 2: We’re marketing without the full picture.

ORoy5pGPx14my589nZ-A0o4pyu6ESE3oUD5ogW53fbgSujVb9xFEbja_XKxB4LK9pmjN7ht9HTY2ML4TEk42qkL3-9I2L2f_OiXD8FMb6LhMDsbRno_EDlacXpuUIFHW4Wak0sKv

Dash marketing is great - we’ve got an experienced team from all over the world with millions of spend in history, however it has potential for improvement. From our research there is no other crypto that has a complete view of their adoption journey - right from discovery through to purchase. We could be the very first to have a complete view and a holistic marketing approach.

We don’t expect Dash.org to recommend our exchange over any others, but the data we provide will be a representative subset of Data that can be scaled to understand the trends in the wider marketing campaign. This data will be invaluable in optimising the user journey and the adoption funnel - to be the very first crypto to have this data will allow us to outmaneuver any others in the space.

Quick note: All data we provide will be anonymous and at campaign level only, tracked through UTM & Gclid parameters - the technical side of this is out of the scope of this proposal but I’d love to chat through it on discord or telegram.

Okay so now you can see how much this project can help Dash, but who are we and why are we the ones to do it?

Meet the team

SYlJbqXSfP8hDsODOF0dLPCMgf5JstjdmZdzA1F7x8JnUTps-BDIdt4OWY7HNy1GrIOKBUIaqaFwryB66FO5TV1B5ZNLA12IgcDaYBtKAPKxSA9FmdWAdVnflUuN0kRmxuM9X73c

LinkedIn - Telegram

Accomplished Digital Marketing Manager with 10 years experience working with small to medium brands, has managed builds of complex, enterprise level websites & applications. Led the digital marketing efforts for businesses like:

Scrap Car Comparison - UK comparison website, managed rebuild of site & back-end systems
Leaders - One of the UKs largest real estate groups (100+ Branches)

O3V8GF8P4aIS1v7-qKpRqnYwOgMTZMOyaY4HFiNYKLglEFXwGNMQILMndginYdcgty1KsYVpEGxGnkx4YRaYHyi2qSat7c5aDtnSrtmT1RIHIc319Lr0xJnARITa-WmBDlI0DFZm

LinkedIn - Telegram

Our Software Engineer has over 8 years experience, including projects ranging from bespoke applications, to high-throughput forex trading systems, to managing the enterprise stack for an hosted communications provider.

NFZb9rFCsXKjoULgVhdpnKYpmDY7sxrXDZDlSgzmmqS877OFgEDL_WQCh48sVEUrjEtrPOGblgkpV1q235RhEyxbhg49O5iJYSWCFObnp2YSbEo1SO3VSPRSGkracHOwmUiIPH7H

4pr5EdjNxok0cW2IZ-mXs2e5L9_Fq1LlnrwbNxvYFs30Kie9XxrOqOnbUvsJ5JzIc6KeIKK171oeCNqwtJ7dufLmKgAYuq4gF2LMSjekR6mt2l7SgLOkxsm1bxZrKhITwbjaDsI2

LinkedIn - Telegram

With 8 years in financial services, Rich will be managing all aspects of compliance including anti-money laundering and know your customer laws. He’ll also be performing various operations duties including customer support and weekly reports to the DAO. His record includes:

Harwoods Wealth Management - Publicly listed financial planning group
Affinity Financial Awareness - Financial services firm representing over 100 advisors

What We’re Building

dTTZ0K1OKWG6R1HAmJuuTOYHXrUz4OVfIOB-iIIiY3HutgjKNKnFBBMWJiYH-y4T3Z5GyAE77hSaB9KOharMtcbaZiIFhTGBP7Tojh3STIdKs95KDhOEVAgIV85v9w8tbDDrz-Tr

Our first goal is to make direct purchase as simple as possible, we’re going to build an instant fiat to dash exchange for the UK market with marketing reports for Dash marketers hard baked in from the offset.

If you’re interested in the technical side of the development we’re going to be building everything to be deployable to the AWS cloud (EC2, EKS, SES and SMS) with security, speed-of-development, platform reliability and the ability to scale quickly being the main contributors to our decisions. We've opted for Kubernetes orchestration and a microservice approach with the majority of our backend infrastructure being written in GoLang. React will be used to connect the front-end.

The app will be separated by a subdomain from the marketing site which will be built with wordpress on DigitalOcean in the first couple of months to get the ball rolling from both an SEO point of view and to generate some email sign-ups for initial traction (for all the details see the full roadmap down below).

For payment we’ll be accepting credit & debit card utilising the developer favourite Stripe as our payment processor.
Compliance will a key factor early on, registering with the FCA and meeting all KYC and AML legislation.

We’re also going to be enforcing key security measures including 2FA and following best practices (SAML, https, etc).

Budget Breakdown

All payments will be through Escrow with the dash core team, we have a full road-map with set targets and will be reporting weekly along with monthly video reports.

We’re asking for 25 dash per month for 8 months to fund the full build and launch of this exchange. The breakdown of average monthly spend is as follows:
iCpHNvEcsTpNfd-3_0A7-bU0gC2dJIftC-XD1d33RQ1DAXTdO7N2U-TpOBKXQV_OYGq_DgCjE9rBZUvMEucB2R6Mk7jfLJhox436elCdkLncmE605uaM_HuLaPv9MaJX3oVYCLqv

Worth noting that the Salaries are for 4 people and are based on £125 per day (£2.5k per month) this is a cut from our normal salaries and after tax allows us enough to live on whilst being able to dedicate full time (40+ hours a week) to building this project to the best it can be.

We’ve broken down the other costs in our open google sheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_JNy2xBsR2-Uz-ptuMCO9tOaRQZk3equ_JxBVanjHcQ/edit?usp=sharing

We’ve based this budget on the current Dash price and significantly reduced any marketing budget to accommodate for rises in Dash price, all additional funds from fluctuation in Dash price will go firstly towards any infrastructure shortfall (unlikely) and then towards marketing & growth.

Project Roadmap & Deliverables

This is based on us getting funded in the next superblock:

21_SpHYmIheXfsfecRjvlTvtO_xtHcXWmBIk4D4RhFTxHA6hjTvl8bUKmrBMsMZiHfqBCUm5P0iZB8tn3OnpVJktUVJlPYblxgnlZKO9kVYuRLE_F2_k3W3Ew4q2QVgWRwF1p00L

As mentioned before, all these deliverables will tie in with our funding and Escrow from the dash core team - we don’t deliver, we don’t get funded. We’re confident in our ability as a team and know that accountability matters.

Thank you for looking at our proposal, we invite any feedback you might have and you can nearly always reach one of us on the dash nation discord, our public discord for Ewallet here or any of our Telegram accounts (Ash is probably your best bet though!)

Some questions we would like to answer in advance:
Please note, if you have a question please make sure to check out our Google Sheet - it may have been covered there. Also for more urgent queries please chat to Ash on telegram here.

Q. What will you do with any excess budget from pricing fluctuations?
Excess budget will be first routed into any infrastructure shortfall first and secondly into marketing and growth.

Q. Why is your marketing budget so small?

We’ll be working with other marketers working within the Dash space as well as investing our own funds into this and we’re also funneling any additional funds gained from fluctuation in Dash price to marketing.

Q: How will you source the Dash for the exchange
Until there is a peer to peer element to our exchange we will source the Dash in the most financially effective manner, we’ll be seeking out access to the interbank exchange rate to convert to USD and buy at the best possible rates we can. Interestingly there may also be demand from other Dash projects to convert their budget into fiat.

Q: Who is your front end developer?
We’re currently in talks with 4 front-end developers, all of which have shown significant interests. The project conceptualisation comes from us 3 and the 4th head is unlikely to be invested in crypto like ourselves.

Q: Will this be open source?
No we’re not planning on building this as OSS, however we’re happy to share the source code and/or aspects of it privately with developers / dash core team members.

Last edited:
Good question - Initially the exchange will be Dash exclusive but if we choose to add additional currencies this will be fully discussed with the DAO to ensure it's beneficial for both parties. Some considerations:
  • Would being Dash exclusive long-term hamper reputation and growth.
  • How self-sustaining can the business be with Dash exclusivity - is reliance on DAO funding desirable?
  • Are there opportunities to convert other crypto adopters to Dash (for example, it would be fairly easy to convert potential BTC purchasers to Dash).

Last edited:
Any proposal that is going to further enable purchases of Dash via Fiat should receive support. As someone who has a small team slogging through country by country trying to find which countries allow you to buy dash directly and which require you to go through bitcoin first, I can say this situation is currently a bit of a nightmare and it's good to see teams like this tackling the problem. With this, more folks in the UK will be able to directly buy Dash for Fiat. The team is solid and up to the task.

Thanks for the positive messages! We're serious about building a great product and have invested a lot of time into planning this and building a quality proposal that reflects that.

We’ve had an interesting discussion on Discord regarding trust and exposure to risk for the DAO. We know that there is an element of risk on both sides.

For ourselves:
- We are all taking a significant pay cut
- We are all leaving our jobs and taking career risk
- We have only allowed 8 months of funding (sink or swim if you will!)

For the DAO:
- We could walk away after the first month payment comes in
- We could utilise budget funds to build our business and then sell it or abandon Dash
- We could create a poor product that doesn’t live up to our promises

Steps we have taken to minimise risk:
- Everything is through escrow with tight deadlines and roadmaps
- We have been very tight on budget to minimise financial exposure for the DAO

We’re absolutely committed to the success of this project and the benefits it offers Dash, to that extent we would like to invite further discussion on this either in public here or in private on telegram / discord.

We’re also happy to host a meetup in the UK (probably London?) if anyone’s interested.

Last edited:
I really like this proposal.

I think in time you should definitely support other cryptos, but of course, with favour for dash.

I hear what you're saying about marketing, and yes, you should be responsible for running a profitable business.. but the marketing budget does seem very small.

Can you also provide Faster Payments, in and out?

I really like this proposal.

I think in time you should definitely support other cryptos, but of course, with favour for dash.

I hear what you're saying about marketing, and yes, you should be responsible for running a profitable business.. but the marketing budget does seem very small.

Can you also provide Faster Payments, in and out?

Thank you - we're investigating the faster payments solutions, this being our main concern:

https://blog.coinspectator.com/2018/01/17/british-banks-strangle-uk-crypto-startups/

We may be able to use once of the lesser banks that support faster payments or seek a third party processor that can accept them:

http://www.fasterpayments.org.uk/about-us/current-participants

For example, FCA registration is part of our pipeline and clear.bank only accepts FCA registered companies.

And btw, does Leaders let me buy property with dash? Why not? :)

Haha - unfortunately I left there in 2016 or I would be pushing for it (even if just as a marketing move!)

Maybe I can get SCC to pay for your old banger in Dash... or perhaps mDash?

I believe that offering other currencies would actually increase Dash sales significantly but I can understand why there may be a desire for complete exclusivity.

Fair point on the marketing, hopefully Dash growth over 6 months will provide a healthy budget. If necessary we can do another budget later down the line but as this is our first proposal we wanted to demonstrate value right from the offset and show our commitment.

Well, if there are significant problems with Faster Payments, I'm happy to vote for legal action; anti-competitive behavour.

Yeah I'd seriously consider it - that or opening our own bank.

I wonder what would be more effective for dash in something like this: offering only Dash, or offering all other coins to draw in more people and feature Dash and Dash news and updates more prominently on the homepage and/or dashboard.

Hi Feedbands, Richard here, yeah that is a question for us as well, it's one of the main reasons we don't want to say we will be a 100% Dash Exclusive exchange. I think exclusivity just for the sake of exclusivity may not be in anyone's best interest.

For example if another coin decides to start a large UK marketing campaign but has no easy purchase route and we are able to offer that service to them they could bring a lot of traffic to our exchange which would have Dash in a prominent position essentially marketing Dash for us. I believe that something like this could be beneficial for everyone involved.

Basically it will be something that will have to be looked at on a case by case basis and ensuring it benefits Dash will be tantamount.

Last edited:
Very impressed with this proposal and the apparent professionalism of the team! I will certainly vote yes on this one.

Thanks guys - we should be putting the proposal live soon.

If you still want to get it into this months cycle I feel like your cutting it a bit close. Always good to give the mns sufficient time to look at the proposal. If you do it today 6 days might still be good enough but if you need just a couple more days to submit you should choose a payout date that's in the next cycle or just wait with submitting it. Otherwise, this looks like a good proposal.

Back