• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-Proposal: TEDx SaltLakeCity 2017 Sponsorship

ampp

TEDx Salt Lake City Sponsorship
https://tedxsaltlakecity.com

I’m proposing the dash community becomes a partner/sponsor of the TEDx Salt Lake City 2017 show on Saturday September 9th 2017 hosted on the University of Utah campus. It is an all day event which features 12 speakers and up to 1500 attendees including about 300 students. The dash logo will be displayed on the intro of every TEDx video along with several other sponsors and a couple top corporations in the USA. We will plan on an audience engagement activity with paper wallets and phones. This should make dash the first crypto currency to sponsor a TEDx event that I am aware of.

Event Background
TEDx SLC started in 2011 and has become one of the best TEDx events in the United States. Some methodology originated at TEDx SLC has been implemented by TED and mirrored at other TEDx events. Last year’s videos resulted in over 4 million views online and previous year talks have been featured on the TED site. Not all TEDx events are the same and normally they start with fairly small audiences of 100 to prove themselves and after years or successful events they become approved for larger crowds. This event normally sells out well before the show date so watch for tickets if you would like to go.

Proposed cost
$12,000 USD for premier sponsor level.
$7,500 USD allocated for giveaway.
5 dash for proposal fee
18 dash for time/travel/misc. 2 or more trips to SLC.
300 dash TBD at proposal time.

The Giveaway
The proposed plan is to give paper wallets to the entire crowd and show everyone how to sweep a wallet. Each attendee would receive about $5 in dash. I plan to have QR codes of non-profits that can receive dash placed around the event as well for people who would like to give it away.

The Booth

I’d like to arrange to temporarily get some of the existing booth materials used at Miami if possible. We would have at least 4 people at the booth helping attendees with any questions or issues.

My Role
I will be the primary coordinator at the event for anything dash related. I will go to any pre-event meetings and teach anyone of the speakers or attendees time permitting. I plan to coordinate our seats among dash volunteers or staff. I’ve been an entrepreneur since 2004 and have worked on several tech projects including running a booth at a couple trade shows. In 2014 I was a sponsor with a startup at TEDxSLC and attended in 2016 meeting staff and other sponsors both times. I currently work out of Southern Utah.

Additional Details

There are several sponsorship levels however the premier level is $12,000 which is the top tier one and offers the most crowd engagement and better placement visually on the sponsor slide as well as much more recognition at the event. We may also be able to partially or fully fund lunch for college students at the event. The Dash logo will be scattered around on signage at the event.

Basic seats are about $50 and the event sells out every year. With the Premier level we receive 10 seats at the front. These are worth around $100 each. Getting a booth at the event is no problem and most sponsors do not take advantage of this. I will work with the local dash meet up group to insure we fill all the dash seats if they are available.

I have yet to finish some of the final details on audience engagement. As well as who will be helping with the event. The Salt Lake City region has several dash enthusiasts and everyone I have reached out to has been interested in showing up. We intend to do some news worthy activities and hope to promote dash. These activities are easier to nail down once I know the community is behind this project.

Dash price
I will convert the dash to USD to make the payment to the TEDxSLC team. This will happen right after the treasury payment is available. If possible I will see if anybody can be paid in dash instead. The dash reserved for the giveaway with paper wallets and held by a dash team member preferably till September. I’ll confirm this by proposal submission. The giveaway target is $5 equivalent of DASH per attendee with an upper limit of $7. If the price exceeds this the extra dash will be returned to the dash core team or pay for some small ticket items at the event. Paper wallets would be swept back a couple weeks after the event to collect un-redeemed dash and transferred to core team.

Why Utah? Why Salt Lake City?
Dash has a couple team members in Utah as well as one of the bigger meetup groups. The startup community is strong. Utah is home to several large companies and has a high entrepreneur rate. Salt Lake City is much more progressive than other parts of Utah and has a fairly strong tech hub going. People in Utah are less trusting of government and old systems than in many states. And Utah is willing to challenge the government on money issues, especially with gold, much like Arizona. I expect Utah to be one of the first states to be supportive of crypto currency.

Questions before I submit this Proposal
1. Remove the giveaway for now and submit that in August?
2. Should I reduce the sponsorship to $6K instead of $12K and lose some of the benefits.

Partner Information from TEDxSLC
https://tedxsaltlakecity.com/get-involved/be-a-partner

Verification
I’ll have TEDxSLC verify that I have worked with them in the past as a sponsor and they are aware of the dash proposal.

Deadline
Sponsors are usually confirmed by April 30th and payment is due in May. I plan to submit a final proposal soon.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Firstly, I am not sure who you are and if you have delivered anything for the Dash network previously? It looks like you are a new account to Dash.

For this amount of money you would need to go public and validate your identity etc....

Yeah, i will go public but i do not think that is enough to become trustworthy here with a big project. I did meet quite a few people at the open house. I was wanting to see if the idea stands on its own and be supported before being totally public.

I reached out to the core team about doing some sort of payment directly to the TEDxSLC team but they currently do not have the infrastructure for it. Asking a non profit to do a dash to usd conversion is not possible either. There appears to be nobody offering a funds escrow service as I don't care to touch the dash. Conversion for me would be a headache. I will see if someone can do it.

I think, that's fine, as Stealth923 has told you and should validate your identity.

It is an all day event which features 12 speakers and up to 1500 attendees including about 300 students.

I also think that of the 12 speakers 1 should talk about the dash (the sponsor). (Dash for dummies)

I have been studying the proposal, and I think:

1) That you should invite Amanda B. Johnson from speaker. (If she wants)

2) Of the $ 7500 USD allocated for giveaway:

2.1 Pay travel expenses to Amanda and partner.

*If Amanda is the speaker (the image of Dash) you have my vote.

TEDx sponsors have no say in who gets selected. This TEDx usually has hundreds of applications and the speaker selection process is isolated from the sponsors essentially. Talking about specific products and services (especially your own) is basically against the rules. It is possible to talk about the "ideas" of the crypto currency without promoting any particular product or service. And sponsors are confirmed before the speakers are selected.

Why TED though? The organization doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, it looks like a mishmash of everything under the sun. Are there some other similar presentations you can point to that would be similar to the proposed one on Dash? What are the benefits of this particular target audience?

Why TED though? The organization doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, it looks like a mishmash of everything under the sun. Are there some other similar presentations you can point to that would be similar to the proposed one on Dash? What are the benefits of this particular target audience?
This years theme is "A brave new world", seems fitting to what is coming down the line with all crypto currencies. People at these events are there(and paying) to be exposed to new ideas and i believe the September time-frame to be excellent. To get face-time with a crowd of 1000+ as well as possibly going viral on a video with dash on the front slide is a added benefit. I also think this will be news worthy for at least the local TV and news groups. Adobe was a sponsor last year, so why not dash. There is already another company that is a sponsor with 40k+ employees. Dash will seem larger than it is. And as far as I'm aware this should be the first TEDx with a event like this.

Having gone to these events as a sponsor you get to network with the speakers and staff and the other sponsoring organizations. I would not do this if we were not able to engage the crowd with paper wallets and a booth. I do understand that it is not a real large scale but as many startup books say, do things that don't scale.

Your proposal says $120,000 dollars. I presume you mean $12,000 and I would change the text ASAP just for clarity.

I think it's not a bad deal for 12 grand. Not such a great deal at 120 grand.

update: either I was seeing things, or it's fixed now. Thanks!

Last edited:
Your proposal says $120,000 dollars. I presume you mean $12,000 and I would change the text ASAP just for clarity.

I think it's not a bad deal for 12 grand. Not such a great deal at 120 grand.
I couldn't find a 120000, unless a admin edited it. I did place some comma's.

I have been studying the proposal, and I think:

1) That you should invite Amanda B. Johnson from speaker. (If she wants)

2) Of the $ 7500 USD allocated for giveaway:

2.1 Pay travel expenses to Amanda and partner.

*If Amanda is the speaker (the image of Dash) you have my vote.

So as many were seeing in the dash slack channel. Amanda has already applied to be a speaker for this event. However her chances are not increased by Dash sponsoring. The decision process is separate. I think she has a great chance of being a speaker due to several advantages: She is local to Utah, and has past experience talking publicly and will gain a lot from the unique experience etc. The topic is also in line with the theme of the show.

I will make some alterations to the proposal and submit this tomorrow hopefully. I assume the lack of feedback/negative feedback is a positive. The giveaway dash will be another proposal.

Back